Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to claim with insurance after the crash.

• 25-06-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭

I never had any accident, so I never had to really claim with any insurance policy (except from windscreen claim ;) )

Anyway, few of my friends from work, had accidents and always it was a bit messy how it works.

Could someone explain or at least answer few questions?
    I'm originally from other country where insurance regulations are different.

1. If I have an accident, but not because of my fault - what should I do? Let say there is only damage to cars, no injuries to anyone.
    Is it enough, to write a small report on the spot describing what happend (signed by both parties), and maybe take few pictures.
    If I want to have my car repaired, can I claim straight from insurance company which the person who caused an accident had a policy with?
    Or do I have to notify my insurance company?

2. Is it to insurance company to decide whose fault was it, or can just drivers decide? What in case when guards come to the place of accident and they'll say whose fault was it? Does insurance company have to respect guards decision?

3. What in case if I have accident with someone who doesn't have insurance at all. Where from can I get money for damage to my car?

4. What in other case? If I crash to someone who doesn't have insurance, but the accident was at my fault. Can that person claim from my insurance company to damage that I caused to him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1. take photos at the scene, take details of any witnesses and anyone else involved (name,address,number,reg,insurance). contact your own insurance company and notify them. contact the other insurance company and notify them.
    2. insurance co are usually the main ones but you can dispute, get solicitor, etc. gardai generally won't comment much unless it's serious. insurance companys don't have to heed the gardai.
    3. if you have comp you go through your own insurance and it doesn't effect your policy. if you have tpft you go through www.mibi.ie
    4. if you're at fault it doesn't matter if the other person is insured or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Random wrote: »
    3. if you have comp you go through your own insurance and it doesn't effect your policy. if you have tpft you go through www.mibi.ie

You mean, that I claim with my own insurance policy, they pay for my damage, and then they claim from mibi, so I don't loose any NCB?
    4. if you're at fault it doesn't matter if the other person is insured or not.

So he can be not insured, but if it's not his fault, he'll still get money back for damage to his car?
    Only what he can be worried is a penalty that gardai can give him for driving without insurance. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You mean, that I claim with my own insurance policy, they pay for my damage, and then they claim from mibi, so I don't loose any NCB?
    your insurance company just deal with the claim. it's an agreement they have with the mibi. it's explained on mibi website and your insurer will be able to talk you through it too.
    So he can be not insured, but if it's not his fault, he'll still get money back for damage to his car?
    yes.
    Only what he can be worried is a penalty that gardai can give him for driving without insurance. Right?
    yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    1. If I have an accident, but not because of my fault - what should I do? Let say there is only damage to cars, no injuries to anyone.
    Is it enough, to write a small report on the spot describing what happend (signed by both parties), and maybe take few pictures.

Always involve the Gardai in the case of a crash. They will note the particulars of the crash, the scene, and take all the relevant details. They cant and usually wont try to apportion blame (unless its very obvious or they witness it first hand) but they know what details to take and from my experience the details they take are what the insurance company want to see so they will use them as a guide.

If I ever had an accident that was any more than a simple fender bender then I would insist on the Gardai being called.

Advertisement