Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Sony NEX users?

• 26-06-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

The Sony NEX-3 & 5 mirrorless cameras have started shipping from the UK (haven't seen any Irish stock so far). I got mine yesterday (from Jessops) and wrote up my initial impressions: http://nextended.com/blog/2010/6/25/nex-5-initial-impressions.html. So far, it feels like a very solid, capable camera with lots of built-in abilities (like HDR and sweep panorama). I'll be taking it away for the weekend to give it a more through workout.

Are there any other NEX users here? Anyone else considering buying one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Thread resurrection :D

Just picked up an NEX3 with the 16mm and the 18-55mm lens today, decent price too I thought. Just been fiddling about with it, so far I like it. This may sound retarded, but the sound the shutter makes is really nice :o Should be a good upgrade from my beloved Lumix LX3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not mine, but have a look at Jamie Lawerence's blog.
    not sure how often updated or anything but he's Irish and it's a Nex blog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Arciphel wrote: »
    This may sound retarded, but the sound the shutter makes is really nice :o Should be a good upgrade from my beloved Lumix LX3.

not at all! One reason I looked forward to moving to a dslr from a bridge cam was a decent shutter sound. The bridge cam had fake, electro-sounding shutter noises, sounded like a cat being dragged screeching along the ground. I had it set to silent ...

When I got a Sony dslr I preferred the sound, but th A200 has a very harsh ping to it because the mirror flips up so violently!

Now I have the D200 and I'm loving the shutter sound

It's the little things make it more enjoyable :)

I wouldn't mind one of those NEX cam's as a carry around back up. Too expensive to get lenses for though. Something like a Canon G11 might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Anybody try any of the lens adapters to use other mount type lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

davmigil wrote: »

I've got my eye on a few Minolta Rokkor lenses & adapter but I'm still in 2 minds. I might go for the Sony A to E mount adapter and buy A-mount lenses I can also use on my a200 (and also so I can mount the 70-300G on the NEX!). On the other hand, the Rokkor lenses work out much cheaper and I'm very tempted by a 58mm f/1.4. On the other other hand, Sony may enable autofocus for SSM A-mount lenses which would be really nice. I fear I may end up with both adapters!

• Advertisement

davmigil wrote: »

In addition to http://nextended.com (my blog, which will probably focus on how-tos rather than news) I've found this blog a good source of information on third-party lens adapters: http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/

I'm going out for a walk around the Point Village tonight, going to take some tripod shots with D700 but I am going to bring the NEX too to see how the handheld twilight mode stands up, I'll post a few pics tomorrow. I spent most of last night reading the manual and then updating the firmware to Version 2, the menu is not exactly intuitive but not as bad as some reviewers have made it out to be. Overall I think it's a lovely camera.

I gave the handheld twilight mode it's first real go last night: http://photoaday.ideasasylum.com/p/483

I'm quite impressed actually. Certainly I can see it would be perfect as a travel/holiday camera... just so flexible. Only downside currently is the quality/range of E-mount lenses. I'm hoping we'll see a nice 24/35mm prime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

I gave the handheld twilight mode it's first real go last night: http://photoaday.ideasasylum.com/p/483

I'm quite impressed actually. Certainly I can see it would be perfect as a travel/holiday camera... just so flexible. Only downside currently is the quality/range of E-mount lenses. I'm hoping we'll see a nice 24/35mm prime soon.

Get an adapter to for M mount *and you have a wealth of lenses to choose from. Size wise camera seems ideally suited to rangefinder lenses, lots of nice Voigtlander lenses out there.

* won't be long before more affordable copy cat products come out!/EDIT seems they are on ebay already

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mullaned

Anyone know where i can get a nex-5 in dublin with the 18-55 lens. I went to the sony center but they won't have it in stock for about 3 weeks and I really want to get it for my brothers wedding which is in about 2 weeks.

So anyone know any other shops that have it in stock.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I've been really tempted by one lately as a bring around camera. What's the 16mm 2.8 like on it ?

mullaned wrote: »
    Anyone know where i can get a nex-5 in dublin with the 18-55 lens. I went to the sony center but they won't have it in stock for about 3 weeks and I really want to get it for my brothers wedding which is in about 2 weeks.

So anyone know any other shops that have it in stock.

Thanks

Sorry, don't know of anywhere in Dublin but I'd have thought Jessops or WarehouseExpress could get it to you in time (admittedly, the sooner the better so you have time to get used to the camera).

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I've been really tempted by one lately as a bring around camera. What's the 16mm 2.8 like on it ?

I haven't used the 16mm and, although I've found one reasonably cheap, I don't intend buying one. I don't think the focal length is suitable for my use so I'm waiting to see what Sony and/or Zeiss announce for the E-mount. Ideally a prime around the 28-35mm range, or a 16-80 type zoom.

Photozone tested all the NEX lenses and agree that the 16mm isn't as good as the 18-55. The only factor in favour of the 16mm is its size.

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests

Hope that helps.

I bought the NEX3 with the dual lens kit, 18-55 and 16mm. I like the 16mm, don't underestimate the convenience of the small size when you want to just slip the camera into your pocket. I like wide angle lenses for architectural stuff and one of the reasons I bought the NEX was the 16mm pancake. The f2.8 is nice with pleasing bokeh, altough soft in the corners until you get to about f5. I'd love a ~24mm of 35mm prime f2.8 pancake for it though.

Here's some pics I have taken with mine so far - flickr set

Hey

Thanks for the advise. I actually found a place in town selling the nex-5, the camera center on grafton st, dual lens kit for €780, not too bad. Would have cost me 830 to get it delivered from jessops. Also if anyones interested, conns cameras are selling the dual kit for 750 but they're out of stock at the moment.

The camera itself is just amazing, can't wait to give it a proper test tomorrow.

Thinking about selling the 16mm lens I got with the dual kit, just can't see myself using it too much. I bought the dual kit yesterday, the lens couldn't be in any better condition, it'll come with front and rear lens cap and a copy of my warranty from the camera center on grafton street. Its selling for €250 from the sony shop so I'll like to get €200 out of it. I think its a fair deal, its brand new and barely used, with 364 days left on the warranty from a camera centre in Dublin. If anyones interested leave a message here and i'll get back to you. Ideally someone in Dublin or willing to meet up in dublin so I can give it to you in person so theres no chance it could be damaged in postage.

Took some test shots today, for anyones thats interested they're at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mullaned/sets/72157624709734155/show/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Hi there,
    I'm kind of thinking of buying a Nex and wondered if any of you had opinion on whether to go for the Nex-3 or Nex-5. Apart from slight size/weight difference, and better videoing capabilities on the Nex-5, are there any other major differences? And is the video too good to leave behind?
    To give you some background - I'm a point and shoot user mainly. Haven't got a DSLR. Messed around with a bridge for a while but think that for 'day to day' pics of the kids, holidays, etc I just won't be bothered bringing a bulky DSLR with me. So maybe I wouldn't even notice the difference (if slight) in Nex3 and Nex5 and could buy an extra lense for the cost difference. I would like something that takes a decent pic on auto but allows me to become more adventurous with settings too.

I have given the Olympus PEN PL2 some thought as an alternative to the Nex. As I would see it, the advantage to Olympus is inbuilt stability function (which isn't in the actual camera body of the NEX) allowing for more use of other lenses. Maybe I'm just scared of getting into DSLR in a 'small' way but tieing myself to the Sony E Mount. Having said that I don't think I ever intend to be a 'serious' photographer in terms of buying tonnes of lenses, etc....but maybe that's what you all said when you were starting off too!?

So, just wondering - Olympus or Nex and if Nex, 3 or 5? Would love your opinions....Thanks

have a look at this thread and here.

I was thinking of getting one, might at some stage. I like the idea that the sensor is a lot bigger than a compact while the camera can be quiet small.
    However I'd like to play with one first, try it out. The NEX with the kit lens on it isn't that small, well it's still small but a bit bulky with the lens.

With the compact lens (16mm f2.8 is it) then it truely is very small.

if so do get one will you update here what you think about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I think the NEX3 might suit you better (NEX5 user myself) You'll still get all the functions including 720P video (NEX5 only does 1080i not 1080p) and save yourself a few quid towards lenses and other accesories as you've already pointed out.

I've used mine as a backup camera on big trips and as a night out and I've no idea how I lived without it before ! It's a great camera that packs a whole lot of punch !

• Advertisement

Calluna wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm kind of thinking of buying a Nex and wondered if any of you had opinion on whether to go for the Nex-3 or Nex-5. Apart from slight size/weight difference, and better videoing capabilities on the Nex-5, are there any other major differences? And is the video too good to leave behind?
    To give you some background - I'm a point and shoot user mainly. Haven't got a DSLR. Messed around with a bridge for a while but think that for 'day to day' pics of the kids, holidays, etc I just won't be bothered bringing a bulky DSLR with me. So maybe I wouldn't even notice the difference (if slight) in Nex3 and Nex5 and could buy an extra lense for the cost difference. I would like something that takes a decent pic on auto but allows me to become more adventurous with settings too.

I have given the Olympus PEN PL2 some thought as an alternative to the Nex. As I would see it, the advantage to Olympus is inbuilt stability function (which isn't in the actual camera body of the NEX) allowing for more use of other lenses. Maybe I'm just scared of getting into DSLR in a 'small' way but tieing myself to the Sony E Mount. Having said that I don't think I ever intend to be a 'serious' photographer in terms of buying tonnes of lenses, etc....but maybe that's what you all said when you were starting off too!?

So, just wondering - Olympus or Nex and if Nex, 3 or 5? Would love your opinions....Thanks

The only other differences of note are: The NEX-5 has a slightly better grip and it has an IR port for a wireless shutter release (though it's not supplied). I'd say the NEX-3 would be fine for you although it looks as if there will be a new NEX-3 out in April which uses the NEX-5 sensor and has improved usability and functionality: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-april-nex-rumor-confirmed/. That might not be such a big leap but it will surely drive down prices of the original NEX-3 (revamped NEX-5 coming in September, I think).

In terms of lenses, this is the E-mount lens roadmap: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-a77-and-more/. It looks as if Sigma and Zeiss will also be releasing lenses this year for the NEX range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Thanks a million for advice. I was wavering on the Nex-3 and just needed a bit of support to not immediately go for the latest model. And so, I have just ordered a Nex-3, due to arrive on Monday. Can't wait.
    I think I got a pretty good deal - my first time in a long time buying from a real camera shop, but fair play to Conns Cameras, they did me a deal which was about €40 - €50 cheaper than online prices and includes their service, warranty and all the things you can be dubious about when buying online.
    I will do a mini review next week on how I get on with my new toy as a complete novice.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

Hi Jamie,
    Just wondering what lens you normally have on it when using it?
    Also how do you find the interface?
    Do you have a Sony dslr?
    if you put Sony prime lenses on it do you lose auto focus?

If the prices come down again quiet soon it'd make it even more affordable.

I know the Canon G series are bulky but there's something appealing about them. Maybe that it has a viewfinder (but only 80% coverage or so?) and is bulky....

I suppose if you compare that to the NEX the NEX has a better sensor and can take different lenses etc so it's the obvious choice.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi Jamie,
    Just wondering what lens you normally have on it when using it?
    Also how do you find the interface?
    Do you have a Sony dslr?
    if you put Sony prime lenses on it do you lose auto focus?

If the prices come down again quiet soon it'd make it even more affordable.

I know the Canon G series are bulky but there's something appealing about them. Maybe that it has a viewfinder (but only 80% coverage or so?) and is bulky....

I suppose if you compare that to the NEX the NEX has a better sensor and can take different lenses etc so it's the obvious choice.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

I only have the 18-55 kit lens for the NEX but I might buy a 24/30mm prime this summer when we find out what's going to be released (depending on price etc). Personally, I don't like the focal length or image quality from the 16mm lens and I find the 18-55 easier enough the carry in a jacket pocket.

The interface is different but I find the custom buttons in the latest firmware resolves 95% of the issues I've heard mentioned and experienced myself. I do use a Sony DSLR systems but there's almost no crossover in terms of user interface (although I think the delete menu is the same!).

I haven't bothered getting an A-mount adapter for the NEX - I'm essentially operating them as two completely separate systems and I think that's the right approach. The official Sony adapter preserve AF, other third-party adapters are manual focus only. The AF performance when using A-mount lenses is apparently quite "meh!" so I want to stick to native E-mount lenses (I'm looking forward to the new primes this summer) or manual lenses. I've just ordered a tilt adapter which lets me use standard Nikon lenses like a sort of Lensbaby.

Calluna wrote: »
    Thanks a million for advice. I was wavering on the Nex-3 and just needed a bit of support to not immediately go for the latest model. And so, I have just ordered a Nex-3, due to arrive on Monday. Can't wait.
    I think I got a pretty good deal - my first time in a long time buying from a real camera shop, but fair play to Conns Cameras, they did me a deal which was about €40 - €50 cheaper than online prices and includes their service, warranty and all the things you can be dubious about when buying online.
    I will do a mini review next week on how I get on with my new toy as a complete novice.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

Cool, I hope you enjoy the new camera. I'm glad you got a good deal and was able to support a local business...

I'm not sure what firmware version they are shipping the NEX-3 with at the moment but it is really worth upgrading to v0.3: http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/crl/nex/nex.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=NEX-5 (this enables some of the existing buttons to bring up customer functions or menus etc). Use Menu->Setup->Version to check what's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

My better half got me a Sony Nex-5 with the 18-55mm lens for Christmas this year. Its my first step up from my old point and shoot camera from years ago. So mostly I've been giving myself a crash course in photography over the last few weeks. (This board has been immense in that regard).

So far I've only been able to use it sparingly, but I hope to get out and about over the next few weeks and find out exactly what this thing can really do.

Advertisement