Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it illegal to park in a hammerhead (turning point)?

• 26-06-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I cannot find anything online regarding the Irish legislation of parking in a hammerhead. I am having war with neighbours regarding it. Please help me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Moved from GAA.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lollypop23

new to this.. haven't got a clue how to work it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Is it at the end of a housing estate or at the side of a road or what? If it is in an estate and theres no road markings to suggest otherwise i don't see why you can't park there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Being honest this thread is useless without pictures as there are too many variables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

A road junction is a location where vehicular traffic going in different directions can proceed in a controlled manner designed to minimize accidents. In some cases, vehicles can change between different routes or directions of travel.

I would consider that as a juncion yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

i dont think it constitutes a junction tbh, traffic does not flow through it, its just for turning or pulling in

I assume it's in a housing estate? Everybody parks in them around here, I have no reason to think you can't, or shouldn't...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Legal or not it's ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

True, if it is a big one with plenty of room, then i would say make sure you park very neatly. If it is a medium or small one then don't park there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

depends what you're parking there imo

a car is probably fine but a large van or truck would be slightly annoying for the neighbours

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Absurdum wrote: »
    depends what you're parking there imo

a car is probably fine but a large van or truck would be slightly annoying for the neighbours

You are not allowed to overnight large commercial vehicles in a housing estate or similar I thought :confused:

I've lived here for 5 years now and it wasn't until I read this thread I thought the 'hammerheads' were for turning, to me, and everybody else they've always been parking spaces... Mad.

Who is doing all this turning? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

lollypop23 wrote: »
    I cannot find anything online regarding the Irish legislation of parking in a hammerhead. I am having war with neighbours regarding it. Please help me.

Why the war? Is it because they don't like the idea of someone parking in front of their house or are you causing an obstruction, because the latter is definitely illegal.

You are not allowed to overnight large commercial vehicles in a housing estate or similar I thought :confused:
    I think it depends on the Local Authority, some have bye-laws, others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

If you check out the planning permission for your estate you will find that the turn key is there to allow emergency vehicles to turn as most new estates are to narrow to turn on the street.
    People park in them all the time. Once they are not "hogging" it by leaving their driveway empty...
    I had an issue with a neighbour in a previous estate I lived in doing the same thing. When all the other neighbour's started parking their cars outside the offenders house they soon got the message.

Its not someones personnel parking space but its better than blocking the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The laughable thing about situations like this (as I have found out first hand) is that those who park in the turning area are the same pricks who then start shouting out their front window at you when you have no option but to turn in their driveway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

lollypop23 wrote: »
    Except on your own property, parking is not a right. It's merely tolerated where it's not explicitly permitted.

Apart from places signed 'no parking' it's also illegal to park on the road beside a continuous white line or in such a way as to obstruct the normal flow of traffic. So, if someone feels obstructed , you could have a problem if they complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lollypop23

I had an issue with a neighbour in a previous estate I lived in doing the same thing. When all the other neighbour's started parking their cars outside the offenders house they soon got the message..

I tried that but they boxed my car in. It's so petty but I genuinely cannot turn around on my narrow road. I damaged the bottom of my bumper trying to turn on the high kerbs!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JustinOval wrote: »
    I've lived here for 5 years now and it wasn't until I read this thread I thought the 'hammerheads' were for turning, to me, and everybody else they've always been parking spaces... Mad.

Who is doing all this turning? :pac:

Anyone who parks on-road outside their house pointing towards the hammerhead rather than towards the exit of your road, generally. Reversing in is rather a hassle, see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The Dutch get really ****ty about their parking, guy in my old neighbourhood started parking his car up on a footpath were the peeps across the road would normally put their wheelbins for pickup every tuesday.

He got two warnings, and then one day I came out and there were 4 wheelie bins on the roof of his car awaiting collection.

Generally people renting don't give two sh*ts and home owners want to stay on good terms with their neighbours.

Advertisement