Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I built my PC...

Options
  • 26-06-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

as the title says, I built my PC (for the first time) and all went fine, no problems at all.
    A quick summary on my spec:
    intel i5 750
    4Gb DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM
    Windows 7 Premium Home 64bit
    Hitachi HD 1TB 3.5" 7200 SATA 32MB
    Asus P7P55D Mobo
    Asus RADEONHD 5670 Graphics

So lately when I play my only game (Flight Simulator 2004!!) I find it often freezes (the video does, not the audio) and comes back after a few seconds (not good when trying to line up a final apparoach :eek: )

I've also noticed after a while the Internet connection drops (I'm using a Belkin 'G' wireless dongle) and even the icons on the task bar that normally show the wireless status become un-responsive, not a thing happening.

I'm not running anything else when this happens, not downloading or uploading anything etc.

So given the fact that I spent a good few notes on this machine can anyone shine some light on why the fu*king the machine grinds to a halt after a while?? Even shutting it down may take up to a minute before the system is ready to actually shut down...what the hell is it doing!

phew, tired now!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sounds like a driver issue or virus IMHO. Try opening up Task Manager when it gets flaky and see what process is causing havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

sounds like a belkin driver to me.

one brand I try never to buy, always get burned whenever i make an exception to the rule. their 'astroturfing' marketing reputation, means they clearly put their marketing ahead f the quality of their products and software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Hi, I would suspect your wireless network card. There are known issues with Belkin wireless cards and windows and I was having a similar problem that was resolved by removing the card and using a non-belkin wireless dongle. If you have ever tried to negotiate their drivers site you will know why I will never buy anything they make again. You could try removing the wireless card and playing flight-sim, letting you test my theory for free. Other than that, as Solitaire says, check for virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nice one folks, thanks for the prompt responses. I knew the moment I bought that Belkin dongle I'd have trouble!!

I'll remove it and run the game and see how things peform just to rule out the dongle.
    God I'd be unlucky with a virus after only a few days of usage, but hey, anything can happen...I'm using AVG free.

RE Wireless cards, can anyone recommend a decent one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

[quote=[Deleted User];66602558]This might be basic stuff and sorry if its checked already but in device manager are all the devices and drivers installed, have you checked for updates?[/QUOTE]

I checked device manager and no problems found there. I downloaded the latest drivers for the Graphics card from the Asus website but I'll do the same for the Belkin piece of sh*t!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
Advertisement