Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reset my router but I dont know my password

• 26-06-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a D-Link prestige 660RU-T1 router for my home broadband and I didn't know my WEP key because I wanted to add another laptop to the wireless network. I decided to reset the router and now the network is unsecure and the default name is dlink. I went to http://192.168.1.1 and it asks me for a password. I tried 1234, admin, etc but it's not accepting the password. Any ideas?? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

try admin/admin for user/password , that is a xyzel not a dlink ...innit :D

http://www.default-password.info/zyxel/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Dgriff

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    try admin/admin for user/password , that is a xyzel not a dlink ...innit :D

http://www.default-password.info/zyxel/

I'm sorry. I'm a little confused. It's definitely a D-link. model DI-524. On the back of my router it says the default settings are :
    IP address:
    Username: admin
    Password: (blank)

but when I go to that ip address in my browser, it's as if the page doesn't exist. So, I was reading somewhere (cant remember where) and they advised to someone else to go to Start>Run>cmd> "IP configuration" - or something like that and a list of IP addresses came up and one of them was 192.168.1.1 and it brought me to the page which had a heading of "prestige 660RU-T1 router" so I assumed that was my router........but it's definitely a D-Link model DI-524 but the default ip address doesn't work (192.168.0.1).
    I think I'm tying myself up in knots here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Would you be 'accidentally' connected to another wireless network by any chance?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Would you be 'accidentally' connected to another wireless network by any chance?

Your best bet is to try and access the dlink by ethernet cable (if you are not already trying that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are you using the wireless to try to connect because I'd so it looks like you are connecting to someone elses router.

When you reset your own then you need to either connect using a cable and setting a fixed ip address initially if still doesn't work

• Advertisement

Connecting via ethernet cable to my home pc, which is physically connected to the d link router, I tried to go to the ip address listed as the default ip address on the back of the router: 192.168.0.1. Still as if the page doesn't exist.
    I went into run>cmd>ipconfig on my home pc. Under Ethernet Adapter Local Area connection, my default gateway is: 192.168.1.1, which is still the prestige 660RU-T1 page...even though I have a d link. I'm definitely not connecting to anyone elses network......... unless it has something to do with the fact that the laptop I'm trying to connect used to be my mother's and it used to be connected to her wireless router...but she lives about a mile from me. Maybe the laptop still thinks it's connected to that one. But that still doesn't explain why my home pc (physically connected to the router) is telling me that the default gateway is 192.168.1.1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try web page http://192.168.1.1/ when on ethernet , d-link logo anywhere ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Make sure and disable the WiFi on your PC/Laptop.

Ok, I looked at how my wires are configured. I didn't set it up. I have 2 routers.
    the first one is a ZyXel Prestige 600 series. There are 2 connections:
    1. to the phone jack with a thin grey cord
    2. to the d-link router with a thick blue cord

the second router I have is the d-link router with 2 connections:
    1, the thick blue cord to the ZyXel Prestige
    2. a thick yellow cord (cat 5 cable) connected into the back of my pc.

I tried to take the ZyXel Prestige out of the equation...so I can use my d-link wireless router but I cant see a place to plug in the thin grey cord from the phone jack to my d-link router. Any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You can't not use the zyxel as this is the modem and you need that to actually make the connection to the internet.

I'm guessing that the cable connecting the zyxel to the dlink is plugged into one of the lan ports on the dlink as apposed to the wan port. If I'm right then here is what is happening, you reset the DLink its handing out DHCP leases as it should in the 192.168.0.x range, however as it happens your Zyxel is handing them out faster and its leases are in the 192.168.1.x range. Both of these leases will have a netmask of 255.255.255.0 so when your are on one range your computer assumes it can't talk directly to the other.

To fix this firstly disconnect your zyxel from your dlink and then disconnect and reconnect your computer. You should then have a lease in the 192.168.0.x range and you should be able to go to the configuring web page.

When you're finished configuring you could just plug the cable back in as it was, however there is a problem with that as there is a chance that the DLink would respond first to a DHCP request, then to you it would appear as if the internet was down. Configuration wise you have three options,

1. put the DLink in the same address range as the Zyxel (so its easier to configure in the future) and disable the DHCP server on the Dlink.

2. Just connect the Zyxel to the DLink via the WAN port on the DLink. This is the easiest to do but does have the negitive effect of double NATing your connection which may lead to more complications if you are gaming, downloading, using VoIP or hosting servers.

3. Put the Zyxel into bridge mode and use the Dlink to deencapsulate the PPP connection. This would be my first choice as its simpler in the long run and in pratice I think third party routers are better at deencapsulation than the often cheap devices that are supplied by ISPs (though I have heard good things about Zyxel).

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement