Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boss withholding wages

Options
  • 26-06-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate advice on this. I gave a weeks notice at work (in a waitressing job that I've been in for 6 months). However i was sick during the last week and called in sick. i work a week in hand and i called in today to pick up my wages for the last full week that i did.

When i called in today, my boss said he'll give me my wages when I bring in a doctor's cert! Can he do this? What should i do?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

how long were you sick for? if you were the 3 days sick then usual company policy is cert after 2 days etc etc were you sick up to friday 25/6 and your collecting wages for weekending 19/6?

overall bit daft to withold wages if ur leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

It's illegal to withhold wages. But your boss probably knows this and he is just trying to spite you.

I assume you are not getting paid for the sick days. I think you need to play by the rules too. If you were sick you should have offered to work another week as notice rather than leave your boss high and dry then float in demanding your pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think the boss may be covering his own ass. Does your work pay sick leave? If so, he has to pay the days you worked, and the days you were sick, which he needs the sick note for. If you have no sick note, he doesn't have to pay for your sick leave if the company has a policy of paying sick days, and will then pay you the days you worked.

If you have a sick note, give it to him.

If you want the money and have no sick note, say you have no sick note, but do not expect a reference from him if you do so.

Advertisement