Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Browning .50 ?

• 26-06-2010 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

_BEL9874%20B-17G%20N93012%20Nine-O-Nine%20right%20side%20waist%20gun%20l.jpg

m-2-50cal-dvic552.jpg

Above are 2 pictures of the famous Browning .50 . The first photo is from one on a B 17 ' Flying Fortess ' and you will note the barrel is aerated all the way ( i.e. full of little holes ).
    Photo 2 shows a .50 in action but the barrel is not fully air cooled unlike the B 17 - why the difference ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

delancey42 wrote: »
    _BEL9874%20B-17G%20N93012%20Nine-O-Nine%20right%20side%20waist%20gun%20l.jpg

m-2-50cal-dvic552.jpg

Above are 2 pictures of the famous Browning .50 . The first photo is from one on a B 17 ' Flying Fortess ' and you will note the barrel is aerated all the way ( i.e. full of little holes ).
    Photo 2 shows a .50 in action but the barrel is not fully air cooled unlike the B 17 - why the difference ?

They're both 100% air cooled.. (Not as if anything else is cooling the barrel on the ground-mount!)

Not identical guns. The aircraft version has a much lighter barrel (and a higher rate of fire as a result), but is reliant on the slipstream to cool down. The gunner also isn't carrying the thing, so the extra weight of metal for the jacket isn't so much of a problem as it is for ground-mounts. The heavier barrel on the ground mount also acts more as a heat-sink.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks for clearing that up - that question has bugged me every time I watch ' Memphis Belle '. I did ask a friend who was ex-army but he didn't know. Thanks again

Advertisement