Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off taxi man - watch out if you've got a Cork accent

Options
  • 26-06-2010 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Was in town tonight, got a taxi in Harcourt St to Finglas, the cheeky bastard heard the guy in the passenger seat with a cork accent, then drove to Coyningham Road, then turned back to the quays??:confused: Once I realised I told the absolute cúnt to stop the car, why the fúck did this asshole try to obviously rip me off?

Once he heard my dublin accent in the back of the taxi he let us out straight away.

Watch out dubliners, there's still cúnts out there.

What a fúcking prick he was, once he realised I knew he was on the rip, he put up no fight. Arsehole.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Similar things happen to me also.

Im down in dollymount and have been taken arseways to here from the airport and town. Funnily enough, only when my girlfriend, who's German but has lived here for years gives directions, in a non Dublin accent.

I tend to let them go whatever way they want, ignore the meter and then throw them the normal fare I'd pay. ****.

One of the reasons I tend to avoid taxis unless absolutely needed.

**** off Des.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Des wrote: »
    Was in town tonight, got a taxi in Harcourt St to Finglas, the cheeky bastard heard the guy in the passenger seat with a cork accent, then drove to Coyningham Road, then turned back to the quays??:confused: Once I realised I told the absolute cúnt to stop the car, why the fúck did this asshole try to obviously rip me off?

Once he heard my dublin accent in the back of the taxi he let us out straight away.

What a fúcking prick he was, once he realised I knew he was on the rip, he put up no fight. Arsehole.

Why didn't you take the Taxi Nr. to complain to Taxi Regulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

It's probably wrong of me to think, fair play to the taxi man. I mean everybody knows that if it was a cork rebel on their own in the taxi that the most direct route would have been n-11 to bray and a nice long drive across the m-50..

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Where did he leave you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des...hanging around with Cork people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

stovelid wrote: »
    Des...hanging around with Cork people?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dats_right wrote: »
    It's probably wrong of me to think, fair play to the taxi man. I mean everybody knows that if it was a cork rebel on their own in the taxi that the most direct route would have been n-11 to bray and a nice long drive across the m-50..

are you for real, fair play to the taxi man for trying tp rip a customer off? what kind of impression would that behavior leave with a tourist who knew the way around.

des, best of luck with the regulator, just wondering did u pick him up at a rank or call him out. if he was from a company report him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Something like that happened to me yesterday and i'm from Dublin so some people do it to everyone. The taxi man was nearly driving around in circles and taking the longest route possible to get me home. Luckily my friend noticed and told him what way to go before we had to pay him a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I've had an argument about a route with a taxi driver - as if I didn't know my way home! Idiots! Didn't think at the time to take his number, but would in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

If taxi driver notice a foreign accent, you'll have a nice and expensive tour around Dublin

But Cork people aren't foreign, are they? :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Des, I sincerely hope you reported him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Why didn't you take the Taxi Nr. to complain to Taxi Regulator?

i am surprised he knew his way home at that stage nevermind remember to take his number :rolleyes::p:D

irishbird wrote: »
    i am surprised he knew his way home at that stage nevermind remember to take his number :rolleyes::p:D

you let him out on temporary release for the night? was he electronically tagged?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

you let him out on temporary release for the night? was he electronically tagged?

She had his beard on a leash!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats a crazy route, how did you not cop on sooner that you were headed out towards Conyngham Rd?.

She had his beard on a leash!:D

thats got to be one hell of a leash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I'd have punched him in the Face
    book.

Did you manage to get his facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Yeah pretty common.

I take taxi regularly and several times I noticed the african drivers (Only them, must be their favourite trick), although they have a GPS, are always telling me they do not know where this place is (like obvious street names in Dublin city center).

I asked them to use their GPS then they reply they do not know how to use it.

Then I tell them to drop me right here :p I don't pay of course.

Once I took a taxi to go from Tara Street train station to Garda HQ in Phoenix Park, the guy took me to the north of Drumcondra. I let him drive all the way, I had plenty of time and wanted to know where he would take me, I knew the way by heart since I was doing this every day.
    When we reached 30 euro I "politely" asked him why we took this way and he replied to me it was a shortcut lol.
    It cost me 8 euro the other days by goign through the quays and infrmary road.
    I paid him 8 euro of course...He was Irish.

The joys of being a foreigner :rolleyes:

Happend to my wife in Paris too, she paid 100 euro to go from Beauvais (Ryan Air flights) to Paris city center...the guy took her to Versailles...she told me afterwards...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

**** off Des.

?

Happened to me in March coming back from the city with airport luggage home. Cue a long circuitous route up the quays, through the city onto the Crumlin Rd. He quickly learned I knew the way, the area and that I knew what he was trying and not a tourist unfamiliar with where I was going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Report him and stop whinging on Boards about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

yeah and in the cork forum a dub getting shafted by at taxi man would be hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Happened to me before when I had 2 foreign students staying with me. Hopped in a taxi on O'connell bridge asking to go to Dollymount end of Clontarf, I wasn't talking while they were so guy thinks were all foreigners. Guy drives up through Drumcondra or something like that and down Griffith avenue. Once I realised what he was doing I gave him the simple option of dropping us the rest of the way for free or I'd report him. That scared him pretty bad because apparently he'd been reported for it before and it was just an "honest" mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Had a different one myself from a taxi from liffey valley (you know THAT company)

anyway took us where we wanted to go and fast but at the end of the trip he stopped the meter, total fare came up (€11) turned the meter off quickly and said that'll be €13.30 lads..... should've asked for a receipt with that !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Happend to my wife in Paris too, she paid 100 euro to go from Beauvais (Ryan Air flights) to Paris city center...the guy took her to Versailles...she told me afterwards...

An hour long drive. How could this be any less????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I came across this fella once. I'm from Tipp but I do know my way around Dublin! Eejit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Yeah pretty common.

I take taxi regularly and several times I noticed the african drivers (Only them, must be their favourite trick), although they have a GPS, are always telling me they do not know where this place is (like obvious street names in Dublin city center).

I asked them to use their GPS then they reply they do not know how to use it.

Then I tell them to drop me right here :p I don't pay of course.

Once I took a taxi to go from Tara Street train station to Garda HQ in Phoenix Park, the guy took me to the north of Drumcondra. I let him drive all the way, I had plenty of time and wanted to know where he would take me, I knew the way by heart since I was doing this every day.
    When we reached 30 euro I "politely" asked him why we took this way and he replied to me it was a shortcut lol.
    It cost me 8 euro the other days by goign through the quays and infrmary road.
    I paid him 8 euro of course...He was Irish.

The joys of being a foreigner :rolleyes:

Sounds like he had his ears clogged and couldn't hear your accent and thought take you for a ride.Why didn't you report him? And the others who tried to rip you off.Then alot less likely for the thieves like that to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I was ripped off 2 years ago by a country driver, He took me and my family from the city to the airport he charged me 37.00 euro 33% higher than the normal fair, I emailed the taxi regulator with his reg number and the receipt...Might be the same guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cost me €80 for a taxi for that same route, and that was with the taxi driver being sound and HORSING it to the airport to get us there in time (We'd slept in and missed the bus!) so €100 would not be that out of order for that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I used to get this all the time - I reckon it's just because I'm a girl. I know pretty much all of Dublin like the back of my hand - I've lived/went to college/worked all over the City all my life - so I don't take too kindly to being conned by taxi drivers. Now I just tell them exactly the route I want to take any time I go anywhere. Legally, the passanger is entitled to choose their own route and if they go a different way to what I've said I just say this. Chancers.

Advertisement