Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off taxi man - watch out if you've got a Cork accent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've never gotten this in Dublin.

But when I lived in Belfast as soon as they heard my bogger midlands accent I'd be taken on a tour of the world before getting to my destination.
    Being new to the city I didn't know any better....until my co workers were laughing when I told them what I was paying

Eventually I learned the city well and they'd still try it on with me! :mad:

So it's not a Dublin thing, probably happens with non-locals and tourists in every city going, sad realy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Funny how no one posts about the guys who rip off the taxi drivers, like the 2 who went to North of Drogheda from Balbriggan and legged it owing €43 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Funny how no one posts about the guys who rip off the taxi drivers, like the 2 who went to North of Drogheda from Balbriggan and legged it owing €43 :(

Unfortunately it happens a fair bit also:( and they should be dealt with as thieves and found:mad:.But taxi drivers are a public service and should treat their customers fair.Don't expect to get ripped off by the honest people in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nearly happened to me before (obviously for those of you who know me I don't have a Cork accent), coming home one night gargled with 3 mates the fecker tried driving around by Pearse St from College Green even though I said South Circular Road, questioned him and after saying it to him 3 times he said sorry and reset the meter until we were up on Dame St.

Should have really got out but well, the two women are lazy feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Nearly happened to me before (obviously for those of you who know me I don't have a Cork accent), coming home one night gargled with 3 mates the fecker tried driving around by Pearse St from College Green even though I said South Circular Road, questioned him and after saying it to him 3 times he said sorry and reset the meter until we were up on Dame St.

Should have really got out but well, the two women are lazy feckers.

I can think of an alternative route from D'Olier St to Griffith's College via Pearse St that would make perfect sense depending on time of night and traffic conditions, difference in distance 1.8Km difference in time 4 Minutes (according to Googlemaps ) BUT I would have told you in advance if I thought it advisable to take a different route depending how gargled you were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

A friend of my mams,( bear in mind , this is 1.00am and she is 68 years of age) comes out of the porterhouse in phibsboro. gets a into a taxi driven by one of our african cousins.
    "Cabra Please". The driver takes off and takes a left down whitworth road. half way down, she says "Cabra is the other way".
    Driver does a u-turn and back up the whitworth road. Does an illegal left turn and heads down the phibsboro road.
    She see McGowans and again says, "Cabra is the other way".
    With that, the driver stops outside the Bus station in phibsboro and throws her out.
    She didn't get his number as she was so shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I can think of an alternative route from D'Olier St to Griffith's College via Pearse St that would make perfect sense depending on time of night and traffic conditions, difference in distance 1.8Km difference in time 4 Minutes (according to Googlemaps ) BUT I would have told you in advance if I thought it advisable to take a different route depending how gargled you were

Ye but he was about to turn left down Tara St and guessing was going to try driving down the Quays at 4am, which I dobut would have been quicker.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Had a cousin over from England for a game in Croker last year.

We told him to get the taxi to take him down the tunnel, due to traffic etc., and meet us in the Clonliffe House. Taxi charged him €12 extra for the toll!!! on a sunday.

The cousin knew no better, and we were in the stadium by the time he told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Generally I don't have issues with taxi drivers in Dublin, but on some occassions they have tried to rip me or my relatives off. One particularly memorable one was when a relative of mine got home ridiculously late and more pissed off than I'd ever seen. He was on the Northside at about 1am and got a taxi to bring him back over to the Southside with a few of his mates. The taxi driver made it clear he was unhappy about it, because he lived on the Northside and was hoping to go home soon after them (they were to be his last passengers that night) and was unhappy about the distance.

Where we live is near the mountains, so the taxi driver decided to drive through the mountains which would involve completely by-passing where we live and taking his time going around the back roads of the mountains for a bit in order to get the meter up. Obviously, none of the lads could get out somewhere up the mountains at about 2am so they just had to wait until he stopped being a wanker. They didn't get his number because they were too busy giving him a piece of their mind once they arrived.

The only time I got ripped off was by a taxi driver in Dundalk, my Dub accent obviously made him think I didn't know the area. I've been going to Louth since I was a child, so I well knew what he was doing. I opt for public transport pretty much all the time now. Must be said though, every other time I've gotten a taxi it's been grand. Pleasant, even. It's just a shame that a few bastards have to ruin what would otherwise be a handy service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

if you knew you was ripped off why hand over the cash...:confused: let him go to the guards or who ever he wants and in the end the truth will come out and it would be proven that he did infact rip you off.
    if i was a taxi man and i ripped some one off and they refused to pay id simply leave it at that as to take it further would expose me for the thief i am id simply think well its my own fault build a bridge and get over it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

One particularly memorable one was when a relative of mine got home ridiculously late and more pissed off than I'd ever seen. He was on the Northside at about 1am and got a taxi to bring him back over to the Southside with a few of his mates. The taxi driver made it clear he was unhappy about it, because he lived on the Northside and was hoping to go home soon after them (they were to be his last passengers that night) and was unhappy about the distance.

Where we live is near the mountains, so the taxi driver decided to drive through the mountains which would involve completely by-passing where we live and taking his time going around the back roads of the mountains for a bit in order to get the meter up. Obviously, none of the lads could get out somewhere up the mountains at about 2am so they just had to wait until he stopped being a wanker. They didn't get his number because they were too busy giving him a piece of their mind once they arrived.
    Firstly, why would your mate be "more pissed off than i had ever seen him"? He got home, and it was only the driver who was annoyed.

And secondly, you live in the mountains? Who the f*ck knows the quickest possible route to your house, around the back arse of the mountains at 2am.:rolleyes:
    Simple suggestion (to everyone) -guide your driver to your destination, its what i do and ive never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Firstly, why would your mate be "more pissed off than i had ever seen him"? He got home, and it was only the driver who was annoyed.

And secondly, you live in the mountains? Who the f*ck knows the quickest possible route to your house, around the back arse of the mountains at 2am.:rolleyes:
    Simple suggestion (to everyone) -guide your driver to your destination, its what i do and ive never had any issues.

He was pissed off because he had pay a lot more than it'd usually cost and I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty worried if I was driven up to the mountains in the early hours of the morning away from where I live. I don't live in the mountains, to get here from the mountains from the northside you'd have to go right past the area I live in. I live in a built up area that's near the mountains. And the driver knew what he was doing, they'd told him where to turn off but he just insisted he "knew a better way."

Anyway, as I said before, vast majority of taxi drivers I've encountered have been efficient and helpful, it's just a shame there's a minority that mess it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

He was pissed off because he had pay a lot more than it'd usually cost...
    He shouldn't have paid for a service he didn't ask for.

And you should always ask for a printed receipt.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carwash106

sick of dublin taxi drivers doing that. was goign to griffith avenue one sunday right around the end of a dublin match and of course the drumcondra road was jammed ( the route he took).
    The arrogance is amazing, anythign for a few extra euros, they shoot themselves in the foot because ill now do anything not to take taxis because of their greed, happened other times to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Des wrote: »
    Was in town tonight, got a taxi in Harcourt St to Finglas, the cheeky bastard heard the guy in the passenger seat with a cork accent, then drove to Coyningham Road, then turned back to the quays??:confused: Once I realised I told the absolute cúnt to stop the car, why the fúck did this asshole try to obviously rip me off?

Once he heard my dublin accent in the back of the taxi he let us out straight away.

Watch out dubliners, there's still cúnts out there.

What a fúcking prick he was, once he realised I knew he was on the rip, he put up no fight. Arsehole.

Good man Des, thanks for the tip off. I Am comfortable enough with most southside areas after being here 2 years, but there are still areas I wouldn't know potentially I could get ripped off going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

new.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stovelid wrote: »
    new.jpg

Oh look...

102854CAPPUCCIN-1.jpg

The back seat Mod!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I wouldn't worry too much.

Most taxi drivers will be out of business completely in the next 6-12 months. The whole industry (and many others) will have to make some serious adjustments.

Advertisement