Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christianity forum needs at least 1 Catholic mod!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

The Pope on a at least two occasions that I known of has been described as a nazi or former nazi. Overt attack? I and any right minded person would think so.
    Moderator action? None.

The papacy has been described as being a puppet of satan by at least one poster who is known to hold that position.
    Overt attack? I and any right minded person would think so.
    Moderator action? None.

Is there any point in posting links to these occurrences? Not really as the mods were present in the threads where this occurred.

The above if true are valid points depicting anti Catholic bias.
    My impression is that moderators in Christianity allow a lot to be stated - in fact they allow much more then atheism and agnostic moderators allow. But I took it to be in the light of tolerance of anti Catholics.

As I am for free expression, I would prefer anti Catholic people to be overt about it rather than ban them.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Boards is a general reflection on Irish society and more importantly the age of about 10-40 years of age, this age group isn't exactly religious and recent uncovering of the churches numerous attempts to cover up its past have only reinforced this.

In short, its society and not boards.ie,

This isn't a valid argument. If Irish society is mostly anti traveller or anti black would that mean you would allow racist statements? If some travellers got drunk and caused trouble would you allow people to post messages claiming they were all "drunken knackers"?

Following mob opinion is not in any way a justification for actions taken.

If you don't like Irish society for the way it is then perhaps either move country or go back in time and get the church to change how it handled sex abuse for decades, this in turn will change how society views it now I'd imagine.

Ireland won't be going back to the 1950's anytime soon I'm afraid :)

But it seems you want America to go back to the 1950's and just because most white people agreed with apartheid and black people in their own schools and having to sit in the back of the bus then that made it ok?

It was not popular opinion that changed this. It was enforcing LAWS which stated people should be treated equally!

Mods don't spent every waking moment on boards or the forum they are on, users on a forum play an important part of the forum by helping keep things in check.

If you have a problem with a post you should report it, doesn't matter if the post was made by mod or non-mod.

If your not prepared to report posts then why bother complaining here?

I'm not complaining and maybe moderator policy has changed but when I reported a ban I was pilloried and ridiculed in feedback including by moderators. I spent a long time in PMs as well with different moderators and the moderators ignored and avoided answering. I had clear evidence that they had discussed me in secret. I was never shown what rule I had broken in any charter. I was just looked upon as a disruptive influence in the politics forum because ironically - I am argumentative.

Three years later and I'm still banned from politics.

On the positive side I was recently site banned but a moderator accepted an administrative error identified me as posting under two identities and I was reinstated.

So we can't trust mods when users won't play their part?

I acted in good faith, i reported and discussed and got pilloried and laughed at for it. So forgive me if I have little faith in your system of reporting and discussing. But I will ask you How do you suggest I restore that faith? Do you want me to post the PMs that were ignored and personal attacks on me by moderators and others?

Nevertheless after three years away from boards I'm willing to voice my opinion here. I obviously do see some merit in it in spite of bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

lmaopml wrote: »
    Ahh here, why didn't somebody just advise me to PM??

...if it makes a difference I will do that in future..! The drama is mad around here..

lmaopml, please don't be afraid to give your opinion on this thread. You remind me of some of the modern-day saints sometimes. (Look back through her posts, anyone that doubts me) PDN needs to shift his arse over and give a Catholic mod a seat!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ISAW wrote: »
    This isn't a valid argument. If Irish society is mostly anti traveller or anti black would that mean you would allow racist statements? If some travellers got drunk and caused trouble would you allow people to post messages claiming they were all "drunken knackers"?

Your argument is weak,

More importantly its insulting to anyone affected on so many levels, both you and me know the Vatican has a whole was aware of the situation.

Anyone I'm going off topic here, this isn't the point of this thread at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ISAW wrote: »
    Three years later and I'm still banned from politics.

Thats lovely but thats not the subject of this thread so there's no point dragging it into this thread.

Boards has an esculation procedure which was even posted as an announcement at one stage, if people are not paying attention then thats not the mods fault.

PDN needs to shift his arse over and give a Catholic mod a seat!

OK now your just going around in circles, you are actually beating a dead horse at this stage

Admin's have already answered this,

OK now your just going around in circles, you are actually beating a dead horse at this stage

Admin's have already answered this,

Lol no. It's amazing the amount of boards' mods who have tried to make a swipe at Catholics here on this thread and ended up getting nowhere. There's Young 'uns for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, I think this thread has run it's course.

I've answered the question in the initial post, so I'll leave this thread open for another short while and then lock it.

Don't think you should, Tom, but it's up to you, obvs. I think you lost it when you brought up me_right_one's past earlier on. You seem to go up and down in how much you respect people depending on your opinion of them. I'd be offended if ya locked this thread. It's feedback, not helpdesk. I started this thread, so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lol no. It's amazing the amount of boards' mods who have tried to make a swipe at Catholics here on this thread and ended up getting nowhere. There's Young 'uns for ya!

Really?
    where?

Yes with the majority of posters in the christianity forum not being catholics it may seem skewed to catholics but the forum is for everyone of a christian denomination.

Same thing can happen in the parenting forum, it's for all parents, but it seems to have more posters who are Mammys which can make the forum seem skewed when it's not it's a forum for all parents and those invovled in parenting children.

If you think there is a bias and see posts which you consider unacceptable report them, it works and it can help shift the forum, I've seen it happen on a few forums when posters take a more active role.

Don't think you should, Tom, but it's up to you, obvs. I think you lost it when you brought up me_right_one's past earlier on. You seem to go up and down in how much you respect people depending on your opinion of them.

Ok, what more do you want out of this thread?

I think I have made our position clear.
    I'd be offended if ya locked this thread. It's feedback, not helpdesk. I started this thread, so...

Of course I don't want to offend anyone, but I can't see what is left to discuss.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Of course I don't want to offend anyone, but I can't see what is left to discuss.

Don't think so, tbh!

2 Catholic mods for the Christianity forum. That would be fair. 1 would be grudging. None would be...ignoring most of the population of this country.

2 Catholic mods for the Christianity forum. That would be fair. 1 would be grudging. None would be...ignoring most of the population of this country.

Again the demographic of the country (as skewed as that stats on religion are cos the census is crap) is not the demographic of the site or the christianity forum. Demanding a catholic mod based on the population of the country wont' work.

Lol, I know you have your own liberal pagan agenda, Thaedydal.

Anyway, boards.ie is looking mightily anti-Catholic by not having any Catholic mods in the Christianity forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

This link might answer some questions as to why the Christianity forum might be so antagonistic towards Catholics. link

I would move to suggest that a better solution might be to have a Catholic forum under Religion and Spirituality.

Threads started in Christianity where there is a difference of "opinion" are rapidy turning into either amateur apologetics under duress or civil war and that is not healthy for anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Anyway, boards.ie is looking mightily anti-Catholic by not having any Catholic mods in the Christianity forum.

I'm a catholic. I don't think Boards is anti-Catholic. I don't think Boards as a site is anti-anything, apart from muppetry.

Choosing a mod based on their specific religion, ignoring the other qualities required, would be a dangerous step. For instance, would you be happy with me as a mod of Christianity, because I'm catholic, despite the fact I've never even looked at the forum?

Ok, let me re-clarify matters for you:
    We recently had a similar thread from the Soccer forum regarding the requirement to have a moderator who supported Chelsea (at least I think it was Chelsea). The request was denied based on the fact that we don't appoint mods with a particular viewpoint, we appoint mods based on the type of person they are, the interest they have in a subject matter and their general behaviour on Boards.ie.

...and again...
    So, let me be clear and unequivocal about this.

Boards.ie will not be appointing a Catholic moderator to the Christianity forum on the basis of that person's faith alone.

The population of the country is irrelevant, the number of priests in the country is irrelevant, the number of red cars with "Baby on Board" stickers driven by women from Rathgar called Ethel is irrelevant.

I don't know how much clearer I can make this. :)

(^Tom, you're not being respectful...)

I have been thinking for some time that there should be a Catholic forum. Easier all around, especially given recent developments. Different status within that Religion and Spirituality area, at a minimum. Surely boards.ie can handle a Catholic forum? We are the largest unrepresented grouping in the Christianity forum, after all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Oh please enlighten me?

You agruement on populations stats is meaningless if it was done that way there wouldn't be a paganism forum so you need to re think that.

It doesn't' have a jewish forum, does that make it anti jewish?
    I would move to suggest that a better solution might be to have a Catholic forum under Religion and Spirituality.

This was put forward twice before and rejected due to there not being enough posters/traffic to warrant it.

Surely boards.ie can handle a Catholic forum? We are the largest unrepresented grouping in the Christianity forum, after all?

I have no problem with that, whatsoever. Put it to the masses (no pun intended).

The Forum Request forum is over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

vodafoneproblem, it really would be nice to inform the mods when you are suggesting a major change to how they run the forum. Frankly, it is insultingly rude of you not to sent a PM about this thread.

I'm non-denominational, PDN is Pentecostal, AP is a Buddhist and at least one of the C-mods is an atheist. PDN and myself are the people who deal with the day-to-day operations on the forum. Our job is simple: enforce the charter. That is all we do.

I don't know why you're giving out to me, Fanny. Surely you can see there's been a bit of agro on the forum recently? It would make much more sense if us Catholics just went and made our own forum, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It would make much more sense if us Catholics just went and made our own forum, imo.

But that is a different issue. You are supposed to be discussing why a RC mod should be appointed. Are you dropping this request now that you want a separate forum?

Yep. Makes the most sense.

Splitters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

was it like this during the Reformation :D
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

That's erroneous. Nobody has said anywhere what you are claiming.

Really? so nobody claimed the Popes position is x and if you don't agree with that you are a heretic?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66592904&postcount=361

And you nowhere claimed you decide what it "disobedience"?
    I am not engaging in any more discussion with you because it is only fuelling your disobedience.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66591762&postcount=359

We can present the Catholic teaching by quoting the Catholic Catechism or other official Church teaching documents, without spin, without distortion.

Yes WE can. not just YOU! And the questyion you ran away from and you were asked several times is where is the undistorted Catholic Church document which says "there never were any women Deacons" ? And you failed to supply it.
    I don't need to be a Bishop to do that. I am watching out for those who do misrepresent Church teachings though... (see directly above post).

There you go again. Claiming to be the authority in judging who is misrepresenting teaching. My position on Deacons is based on people with Holy Orders and who hold offices in the church and in conversations I have had with them. One of them is particularly associated with Deacons. But I'm not making the claim that there never were any women Deacons. YOU are! Any claim I have made about condoms and spreading STD's is based on World Health Statistics and on the Catholic Church position which I have stated is valid.

I have yet to see any document from you about "there never were any women Deacons"

So if you just make up rules that don't exist to support your own biased opinion how are you supposed to moderate a forum or deign a forum anti Catholic?

Advertisement