Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show repeats on ch4

Options
  • 26-06-2010 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I only just remembered Channel4 used to show the Late Late. I remember watching the toy show repeat of a Sunday after I'd fallen asleep on the Friday!

What was the arrangement here, how'd it come about , what ended it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

Channel 4 used to show an heavily edited version (1 hour) on sunday or, I remember, monday afternoon. It was part of their remit to show programming for minority communities, in Britain. They used to carry the Sunday Game? and the All Ireland finals at one point. The Late Late Show was moved around the schedule due to low ratings? and was eventually dropped as C4 developed a more commercial focus (countdown at 3.25, Deal or no deal etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

deanh wrote: »
    Channel 4 used to show an heavily edited version (1 hour) on sunday or, I remember, monday afternoon. It was part of their remit to show programming for minority communities, in Britain. They used to carry the Sunday Game? and the All Ireland finals at one point. The Late Late Show was moved around the schedule due to low ratings? and was eventually dropped as C4 developed a more commercial focus (countdown at 3.25, Deal or no deal etc.)

That's commerical, I think they should go back to the minorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I have to stretch to remember a time before Ch4 became sleazy and exploitative. I know they were once good and showed stuff like Trans World Sport and Italian football.....

I have to stretch to remember a time before Ch4 became sleazy and exploitative. I know they were once good and showed stuff like Trans World Sport and Italian football.....

Possibly around the time Ben Frow started to commission shows like 'Jamie’s Kitchen', 'Nigella Bites', 'How Clean Is Your House', 'Location Location', 'Property Ladder', 'You Are What You Eat', 'The Salon', and 'No Going Back'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

And before Big Brother.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

It was shown on monday evenings i remember because i remember watching the repeat with the Birmingham 6 a few days after they were released. Emotional . I watched it because i had missed it on Friday. No Video ,Sky(no George) ,Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

From my recollection it used to be shown on a Monday afternoon at five. I think programmes like Montel Williams and Ricki Lake replaced it in the schedule.

I remember it being very badly edited! Like it was a rush job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

Koloman wrote: »
    From my recollection it used to be shown on a Monday afternoon at five. I think programmes like Montel Williams and Ricki Lake replaced it in the schedule.

Replaced by shows of a much higher calibre so!!
    I think it has run it's course - did anyone see the 20 mins given to some fluff head and her boyfriend at the weekend - it beggars belief!!!

Replaced by shows of a much higher calibre so!!
    I think it has run it's course - did anyone see the 20 mins given to some fluff head and her boyfriend at the weekend - it beggars belief!!!

He had one of those illustrious day time chat show hosts on a few weeks ago. And I was thinking he was dragging the bottom of the barrel. But within minutes of the interview Jerry Springer was chatting about interesting topics, one being of his family during World War 2. If it had be Gay Byrne (and I'll even give credit to Pat Kenny on this) they both would have let Jerry Springer continue to chat about his part of his family history. What does Tubs do? He moves quickly on to his next guest, Amanda Bryram, who like Mr and Mrs Fluffhead rambled on about nothing (I believe she has a new show on Sky 1).

The format hasn't died. It's host doesn't know good guests when he hears them, he is afraid to run over time, in the case of Jerry Sringer Tubs had 2 guests on after him before going to an ad break. And of course like every RTÉ chat show the now infamous competition, not just twice a year, run with the RTÉ Guide and An Post but now ever ****ing week.

What is the answer to this simple question?

A. My Audience is to ****ing stupid to see how dumb this question is
    B. My Audience is to ****ing stupid to see what a money making racket this competition is
    C. My Audience don't mind that I ****ing think they are that they are ****ing stupid.

Call 3665469743135768413476841346847534354.2437361235768412768413 call cost 10euro (or 10pounds), enter as many times as you like, and if this is a repeat then ring anyway your that ****ing stupid you deserve to be charged. RTÉ is not responsible for removing competitions from the repeat.

At least move these competitions to the ad break. Calling out phone number takes up at least 20mins of air time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Back in the day, The Late Late show guests were a closely guarded secret which was not revealed until they were on screen. Now, it is advertised early in the week. It is scripted now, whereas in GB's time, they did not have a teleprompter. The whole format is dying a death due to its cardboard presenter, and its inane strategies. It has gone formulaic, and has no surprises. This started with Pat Kenny's inability to talk to ordinary audience members, and has decended to the totally inane conversations that Tubs has, with the stupid 'games' where audience 'win' prizes 'donated' by sponsors.

They have also lost the 'must watch' status that they used to have. Time to kill it.

• Advertisement

Time to kill it.

Or the presenter, anyway I heard he is set to leave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    Or the presenter, anyway I heard he is set to leave.

I hope so. This will be the second presenter to have reduced the impact of the LateLate after Gay. Pat Kenny had a problem with his inability to deal with the common audience member, particularly as it was unscripted. He was also wooden. Tubs has a problem in that he is an automaton. Everything is scripted and automated, with little real interaction with the guests or audience. They may as well have the old canned laughter so beloved of fifties American programmes. In Gays time it was always live. Now it is hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The format hasn't died.

The format died when Gay left.
    The LLS with Pat was essentially Kenny Live on a different night. Same set, same production team.
    With Tubs, it's just Tubridy Tonight on a different night. Same set, same prod team, afaik.
    It is the LLS in name only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

Removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

He had one of those illustrious day time chat show hosts on a few weeks ago. And I was thinking he was dragging the bottom of the barrel. But within minutes of the interview Jerry Springer was chatting about interesting topics, one being of his family during World War 2. If it had be Gay Byrne (and I'll even give credit to Pat Kenny on this) they both would have let Jerry Springer continue to chat about his part of his family history. What does Tubs do? He moves quickly on to his next guest, Amanda Bryram, who like Mr and Mrs Fluffhead rambled on about nothing (I believe she has a new show on Sky 1).

This is the problem with Tubs version of the Late Late (well, the current production team which he must have an input to/be a part of).

the idea seems to be that a guest can only be on for 10-15 mins and thats it, thats the slot, then you're off no matter how interesting you are. If you are a walking vacumn you still get your 10-15 mins. Then music, adbreak, comp, another guest for 10 mins.

someone in RTE thinks that this is a great idea, its the same on Drivetime on Radio 1, its "fast paced" and most contributors have to suffer Mary huffing and puffing and trying to get you to shut up so she can dump the item and move to the next one.

the only reason why I have noticed this is because of Bob Geldorf getting a very long (by modern LLS) stint because someone hadnt turned up. But once he had fileld up the two slots he was off. Was that the night someone was on because he posted a pic of some arse on the interweb? Sums it all up.

the only reason why I have noticed this is because of Bob Geldorf getting a very long (by modern LLS) stint because someone hadnt turned up. But once he had fileld up the two slots he was off. Was that the night someone was on because he posted a pic of some arse on the interweb? Sums it all up.

AKA Mr. and Mrs. Fluff-head.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Back in the day the LLS used to have interesting guests with opinions worth listening to, not just a book or film to flog (although they might have had that, too, but it was more subtle :) )

Guests were kept on to comment and contribute to discussions later, and often that led to much more interesting tv.

Pat Kenny killed the LLS with his format of 3 types of guests:
    - Supermodels
    - Authors on book flogging tours
    - Supermodels on book flogging tours

Tubridy somehow manages to combine the wooden quality of Pat with the grating conservatism of Gay without the talent of either. But he was born into RTE.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Tubridy somehow manages to combine the wooden quality of Pat with the grating conservatism of Gay without the talent of either. But he was born into RTE.

...... and into FF.

Advertisement