Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change in the air?

• 26-06-2010 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

myself and some friends went to La Boheme last night - I am happy to say the place was hopping!
    last time I was there was the week before xmas and we were the only people in there - seriously worrying and depressing.

Last year Waterford seemed to be going down the tubes - is it just me or are things picking up a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

love2swim wrote: »
    myself and some friends went to La Boheme last night - I am happy to say the place was hopping!
    last time I was there was the week before xmas and we were the only people in there - seriously worrying and depressing.

Last year Waterford seemed to be going down the tubes - is it just me or are things picking up a bit?

Restaurants are apparently doing well around the country for some reason. In Waterford, whenever I've eat out over the last few months, there's always been a bigger crowd out than what I've expected. Most places are doing fantastic deals, and if they can afford to keep them going, they will bring people in the door.

I think restaurants are in a different category to other businesses though that are getting hit hard.

I think that overall, Waterford retail is actually doing better than it was pre-recession. There seems to be less empty units. Waterford didn't have as far to fall as other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

If you don't have €1,500 to go on holiday you might stay at home, but live it up a bit. Also now there is better value from restaurants.

Just curious, but did you notice mainly Waterford accents, or many tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

the early bird deals in the likes of La Palma are great value..
    25euro for 3 course plus tea per person

and top quality too...

plenty more like that too, Fitzpatricks on Cork Rd the same.

As mentioned above people will still go out if they find good quality and good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

As one of the previous post suggest the odd phenomeon in Waterford is that it's performing better in the recession than before it! I think everyone one would agree that the city centre did not benefit as much as the rest of Ireland did in the boom years. But I hope that what "seems" to be happening around the town just lately augurs well for the future. Our luck just had to change & I for one welcome it. The negative attitude of some of the inhabitants of our wonderful town just creates a bad atmosphere. I heard on the radio last week that the word "recession" was being banned for a day in Cork as part of an experiment. Maybe we should try the same here in Waterford but not just for a day... make it a year at least! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Also, if places close down then the surviving places will have more customers, despite the overall number of punters in Waterford being constant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement