Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info on grant question

Options
  • 26-06-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

hi there. i was just wondering if someone could help me on this one. at the moment i am just filling out the form for the grant. it so long and detailed,it would nearly put you off doing it. i am applying as an independant mature student. i have never been to college before so this is all so new to me. i have been working the last 5-6 years in the same job,but will have to give it up if i get my course as it is full time.

i am currently living with my boyfriend. he owns the apt we live in but rents out the other spare room aswell. this is where i am getting confused. is this deemed as co-habiting or what? like i pay rent every month but its his morgage and house. I am only living there about 2 years. it also asks you to provide proof that you are living independantly but all the bills and that come in his name,and we just pay our share then. all my bank statements/revenue statements are sent to the family home address and always have been. so how do i prove i live there and pay rent. its really bugging me,i know i should just ring up the vec or that and ask but just thought i would get yer views on it first.
    thanks for any info
    amy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Hi Amy,

To be considered as living independantly you will have to have proof dated back to October 2009. If you have nothing at all such as any utility bill, or a rent agreement or something then you may have to apply as a dependant candidate through you parents address and give all the details of their income.

If you are classed as living independantly they will take into consideration your earning and your boyfriends as it is classed as co-habiting. If you are classed as dependant then they will take into consideration your parents income as well as your own.

The only way you could prove you were living at your current address is through utility bills, or if you are registered as living there with the Private Tenancy Board which all landlords have to register their tenants with, but as you are living with your boyfriend I doubt you have done this.

Your best bet is to get in contact with the VEC/Local Authority you are applying to and ask them directly. They will be able to tell you exactly what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

thanks for that sassy.

as far as i know if you are sharing accomadation with the landlord they are not obliged to register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board. it says that on the citizen advice website anyways. havent lived at my home address in over 6 years so definetly arent dependant on my parents.my statements only go there because i have been renting the whole time in a few different houses so wasnt going to the bother of changing addresses on my statements every time.

i can understand if the vec say im deemed as co-habiting,but it kind of annoys me in a way though,because its not as if i have a joint mortgage or anything with my boyfriend or things like that. like his income shouldnt have anything to do with me or me applying for a grant. it just seems a bit silly. i earn my own income so that should be all that matters. anyways getting bit angry now even thinking about it. haha.. thanks for your advice though. im gonna give them a ring on monday and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

You are right amy that you earn your own income and it should just be that taken into consideration but as far as the grant people are concerned you living cost are split between you and your boyfriend and so are lower than someone living on their own. They don't take into consideration how much you paying for rent or mortgage or anything just how much is coming into the household. I know that you weren't obliged to register with the PRTB when you share with the landlord but if you had then you would have proof of residency, though that would mean your boyfriend having to declare the money coming in for tax purposes too.

It is the same if they see you as living with your parents. Even though your parents might not give you a penny they still decide your grant on their income and your own. Even though you have notlived there for 6 years if you cannot prove thatfact and want to apply for the grant you may have to apply as dependant on them.

Best of luck with ringing the VEC :)

Advertisement