Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane : Melanie Vervood 26th June 2010

• 26-06-2010 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting stuff, I would tune in if you're not listening already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

where do I apply to be a CEO of a charity that shells out 6 figure salaries and expenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Very interesting stuff, I would tune in if you're not listening already.
    Yeh heard it. She was very honest and open. And I guess she answered a lot of questions that were being probed and implied in the newspaper media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Barname wrote: »
    where do I apply to be a CEO of a charity that shells out 6 figure salaries and expenses?

Charities are run like business and pay their staff the normal rates.

If they didn't then they would not get quality people and then their objectives would not be achieved. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

My wife works for an NGO and the amount of people I meet who think she is great for doing voluntary work is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

My wife works for an NGO and the amount of people I meet who think she is great for doing voluntary work is unbelievable.

That's odd, I used to work for an NGO and I got slagged about it all the time.... "collecting money for the black babies "... and all that rubbish.. To be honest when I left the place, it was a relief not to have to tell people that I worked for them, as I knew what the reaction would be.

Most people who work for NGOs are paid, and they should not be held up as saints because they work for NGOs. People who do the work voluntarily definitely have a more pronounced halo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

murpho999 wrote: »
    Charities are run like business and pay their staff the normal rates.

If they didn't then they would not get quality people and then their objectives would not be achieved..

Just like the banks then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I find the whole idea of her being interviewed in the first place objectionable. And of course the PR campaign continued the next day with every paper giving coverage to her trauma too.

according to Melanie her son broke and entered the scene of a death.

wouldn't a normal citizen have alerted the relevant Authorities?

perhaps a 'clean up' was required... a la Winston Wolf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

according to Melanie her son broke and entered the scene of a death.

wouldn't a normal citizen have alerted the relevant Authorities?

perhaps a 'clean up' was required... a la Winston Wolf?

Barname - shut up. If you're joking, it's in shockingly bad taste. If you're not, you're an idiot.

tbh wrote: »
    Barname - shut up. If you're joking, it's in shockingly bad taste. If you're not, you're an idiot.

melanie stated that in an interview I read

I think its unfair of you to demand I shut up for questioning the bizzare action she took that day

what if Gerry was sleeping or was with another woman when melanie and son broke and entered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

melanie stated that in an interview I read

I think its unfair of you to demand I shut up for questioning the bizzare action she took that day

what if Gerry was sleeping or was with another woman when melanie and son broke and entered?

you're telling me if your dad was missing, and you thought he was behind a locked door, possibly in trouble, you wouldn't kick it in? Nothing bizarre about it.

Make another "Winston Wolfe" crack and you're outta here for a long time.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    you're telling me if your dad was missing, and you thought he was behind a locked door, possibly in trouble, you wouldn't kick it in? Nothing bizarre about it.

Make another "Winston Wolfe" crack and you're outta here for a long time.

Gerry had not given Melanie keys

(melanies son is NOT Gerrys son)

All my family have keys for my place

The only other people I want to see breaking my door are the fire department in the event of an emergency

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

She did have keys but he locked the door with latches from the inside.

So a locked door from the inside and she had keys? That's a door kicking moment in time in anyone's books.

Melanie stated:

'So then I went down two doors and asked one of the builders if he could just help me break in. I said I had locked myself out. He came and cut through the chain. I didn't let him into the house. Then I went inside and ran upstairs and found Gerry.'

porkies.

RIP Gerry

uvox wrote: »
    I find the whole idea of her being interviewed in the first place objectionable. And of course the PR campaign continued the next day with every paper giving coverage to her trauma too.
    To add a bit of balance, she said that the only reason that she did the interview as a) because Gerry asked to set the story straight in the event of something happening to him (she said that it was as if he'd had a premonition) and b) to get the media off her back. She said she would give this one interview and asked to be left alone to grieve, and not having the journalist ringing her home, her kids etc etc.
    humberklog wrote: »
    She did have keys but he locked the door with latches from the inside.
    Melanie said that Gerry was very aware that people knew where he lived and wasnt comfortable with just the standard lock. Therefore he locked the steel latch from the inside.. When Melanie came back to his house in the afternoon, she was able to open the normal lock on the door but couldnt get the latch open. She had to ask a local builder up the road to help her break the latch and get in to the house.

Perfectly reasonable thing to say to someone if you're asking them to break a door in. It's called panicing. She explained it as such too.

Conspiracy forum>>>

humberklog wrote: »
    Perfectly reasonable thing to say to someone if you're asking them to break a door in. It's called panicing. She explained it as such too.

Conspiracy forum>>>

??? Lying is acceptable?

no wonder society is broken

??? Lying is acceptable?

I dont really see anything sinister in this. What motivation would you think she has for lying about it?

I dont really see anything sinister in this. What motivation would you think she has for lying about it?

A Winston Wolfe style clean up apparently. Now that is what's wrong with society.

I thought it a genuinely touching interview.

oh right thanks wasnt familiar with that expression. I should have known, pulp fiction... Just after learning to play Miserlou on the guitar and all.

Barname, I think you're looking for a conspiracy where there is none. I fear that you may have been listening to a Corrs album backwards and heard a message from d'illuminahi..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

??? Lying is acceptable?

If you're looking for a reaction to a comment like that and your previous comment.. knock yourself out because many normal sensible people would probably have done exactly the same thing as Ms Vervood and not what you consider "normal".

Lots of stories are floating around. Paper never refuses ink so don't believe the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Anyone got a link to the interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Here is the link to the audio clip - http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-marianfinucane-2010-06-26.smil
    This is found on the RTE web site on Marian's page

Advertisement