Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'freshening' lawn

Options
  • 26-06-2010 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

I have a medium sized lawn out the back of my house, planted about 4 years ago. I've noticed lately that large potions of it have become not so much lawn as weeds holding hands, so I intend to put down weed killer to clear out the weeds. But once I do (assuming the weed killer works) I will have large gaping holes in the lawn. So I need to put down new seed. I also want to put down new seed over entire existing lawn, to spruce it up a bit.
    My question is how. How do I break up the muck so the new seed will take, without re-rotavating the garden?

Any advice on week killer? I have young kids and a dog, so either something that is safe for them or dissipates quickly (1 or 2 days or less)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Spray with D50, Broadleaf killer, diluted 1:50. Available at many Agristore/Hardware. I use this every year. When the weeds have died, remove the withered weeds with a tine rake. If You are going to reseed your lawn, it is best done in March/April or September/October. If You must do it now, mow the lawn as close cropped as you can. Mix the Seed with some Peat Moss (or substitute)1 kg per bucket peat moss; must be sterile as compost from the compost bin may have weed seeds. Hand cast mix, paying particular attention to bare patches. Water in and KEEP watering in the evening during dry weather until the seeds sprout. Avoid mowing your lawn until seed is established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

cheers, I hadn't planned on a reseed 'til after the summer. Just gotta get those weeds out, they're pissing me off every time I go out the back, which in this weather is a lot

Advertisement