Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible accident in Clane this morning

Options
  • 26-06-2010 12:15pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happened right beside where I live. Someone was hit by a truck and killed :( I hear it was a woman.

Nothing on the news yet.

RIP and condolences to the family.. Awful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 liz11

Poor woman she is a middle age woman from Meadowcourt in Clane.
    The lorry driver is suppose to be a foreigner.

She had crossed at the lights when they were just going green. The driver should ave seen her. It was a terrible sight so a woman i know had seen it.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I was wondering what all the sirens were for this morning. Thats awful. RIP and thoughts to her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

jesus just heard about this now. so awful :(

Edit: just found this, says they were just seriously injured? http://www.newstalk.ie/news/news-headlines/pedestrian-seriously-injured-in-road-accident-in-co-kildare/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

No she was definatley dead :( I saw them removing her..

Gardai have just left the scene, lots of photos and measurements etc taken of the road.. Terrible day for her family not to mention the driver and his family.. Tragic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Awful news RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

On a daily basis one can see pedesterans and drivers regularly breaking the rules by crossing when the lights are against them or skipping through a red light at this junction. This junction is used by school kids monday -friday when the traffic is heavier with people in a "rush" to get to work. I wonder how many people in the town will change their behaviour because of this incident or will they just put it down to "it won't happen to them"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0626/rtc.html

RTE says it was a woman in her 80's.
    RIP.

Ah God :o poor woman.. This is the third such incident I've heard of in the past year.

Few months back an elderly man was crushed by a bus on Samuel Beckett Bridge, I drove by it on my way to work, I don't think he died though..

Another elderly man went under a truck outside St. Peter's Church in Phibsboro about a year back, his son worked with my father.. Awful..

I don't know what can be done but it seems the elderly need more protection on the roads :o specially with large vehicles..

Yeh i heard this morning she was a middle aged woman.

As now i know who she is.
    Why they are saying she is seriously not dead is they have to imform the rest of her family.

Rest in peace
    Mrs B

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

liz11 wrote: »
    Poor woman she is a middle age woman from Meadowcourt in Clane.

She had crossed at the lights when they were just going green. The driver should ave seen her. It was a terrible sight so a woman i know had seen it.

R.I.P
    I think its irellevant who the driver was, foreigner or not

People should be more careful in general, the guy in the lorry had a green light and it shouldnt be at fault.
    People are so dizzy and dont care at all, disregard the traffic rules and then bad things happen.

bad news anyway, RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The nationality of the driver is of no consequence.

He/she is probably traumatised by the incident and has to live with it for many years.

She had crossed at the lights when they were just going green.
    R.I.P

Were you a witness or is it just hearsay? - Its bad enough that the person has died, to try and heap blame on someone without full facts or being an actual witness and seeing every single aspect of the accident makes it worse for all parties.

i am sorry what i meant to say he is not local. Sorry if i offended anyone as my husband is polish.

This is about my neighbour not the driver

As i was saying that the man is not local.
    I am married to a polish guy and have 2 kids for him. sorry again.
    Sorry if i offended anyone. Noone is blaming the driver it was an accient.

So please repect my neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

The nationality of a driver is a factor that accident investigators take into consideration when looking at the driver's experience, qualifications and standard of same, number of hours worked as well as other relevant factors. The reality is "non-nationals" feature high in statistics for fatality related accidents in Ireland in recent years. The same trend repeats itself in other European countires. UK citizens have a higher risk of getting killed on roads on the costa del sol (Spain) than in the UK.

By right as they have the ring road no hgv should be allow to drive to clane.

Before u enter Kill u will see the sign no HGV only for deliveries. That should be the way in all villages and towns.

I myself nearly got plowed of the road in clane last friday outside Wallaces when 2 HGV were meeting each other from different directions and i was in the car.

It is something that the Council needs to look it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Before u enter Kill u will see the sign no HGV only for deliveries. That should be the way in all villages and towns.

I myself nearly got plowed of the road in clane last friday outside Wallaces when 2 HGV were meeting each other from different directions and i was in the car.

sorry to hear about ur neighbour
    i drive a truck through clane everyday, if i'm comin from naas how do u propose i get onto the prosperous road or the road up by college wood or the kilcock road

I agree, there should be no HGVs in villages like Clane, but the problem is that the ring road does not extend to the Properous Road so if they are coming from that direction its the only option they have.

That ring road is a joke tho and in my opinion does absolutely nothing to relieve the traffic in Clane (how can it given how poorly designed it is?) They need to revise it and extend it so that trucks can properly circle the village from all sides. The same needs to go for most similar villages/small towns tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

clane should be a one way system

Trampas wrote: »
    clane should be a one way system

Ok if the HGV is coming from naas and want to get up the Prosperous Rd Turn Left at Bodenstown head for Firmount.

If the HGV wants to get up the college Rd take the ring road in Clane turns Tesco then head up to Manzor Pub then turn off there, same for the Kilcock road.

So u all see u do not need to enter the Village from the roundabout to Wallaces which mean it is possible to keep HGV out of the village of Clane.

Yes it should be a one way system.

Ok if the HGV is coming from naas and want to get up the Prosperous Rd Turn Left at Bodenstown head for Firmount.

If the HGV wants to get up the college Rd take the ring road in Clane turns Tesco then head up to Manzor Pub then turn off there, same for the Kilcock road.

So u all see u do not need to enter the Village from the roundabout to Wallaces which mean it is possible to keep HGV out of the village of Clane.

Yes it should be a one way system.

The problem with this first scenario is that it forces HGVs down a back road that is not designed for them and therefore creates one problem to alleviate another.

While Id like to see a scenario where HGVs are not allowed to pass thru the village, in reality HGVs should not pose any more of a threat to pedestrians than cars do, so long as HGV and pedestrian both behave as they are supposed to (be aware of each other and obey traffic signals). There is so much traffic in Clane most of the time speeds are never much more than walking pace anyway, so it shouldnt be that much of an issue if everyone conducts themselves as they should.

• Advertisement

Word around the campfire down here is, she stumbled off the kerb and fell under the truck..

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

two many stories going around. i heard she was to busy chatting to someone and didnt even realise the truck had a green light and just walked infront of it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That always happens when somone dies. Ridic stories are spread by people who know nothing and should know better than to carry them.

Disgusting and very upsetting for family/friends who have to listen to these rumours.

Shame on people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Whispered wrote: »
    That always happens when somone dies. Ridic stories are spread by people who know nothing and should know better than to carry them.

Disgusting and very upsetting for family/friends who have to listen to these rumours.

Shame on people.

Easy on Whispered. People are just naturally curious on what happened in this tragic accident. No one is spreading mad stories, we just want to know how it happened.

It was a terrible accident, RIP and condolences to the family\friends. I also hope the poor truck driver is recovering ok from the shock of this.

There were 3 "reasons" it happened given in this thread alone. She didn't notice and walked out, she fell off the kerb and she was chatting and just kept walking. Understandable to say "I heard..." so I was not refering to people on the thread (although I do like the way your only post in the thread is to tell me off and explain that "you" are only curious, so even if I WAS refering to people on thread it wouldn't have included you.) but these different stories started from somewhere.

I've seen it happen so many times, stupid stories concocted from people who "know" what happened - ie gossipers. It's unfair on the families involved to have to hear these rumours. Do you have any idea how upsetting it is to have people discuss your dead loved ones and how they died when at the end of the day, it's all just gossip and rumour for the ones discussing?

Just want to reitterate - I am not having a go at people on this thread, but at the people who start these rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Whispered wrote: »
    Just want to reitterate - I am not having a go at people on this thread, but at the people who start these rumours.

Thats fine then.

Well I'm glad you're ok with it....;)

Advertisement