Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Omnibus Advice

Options
  • 26-06-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get into the science omnibus this year hopefully to follow on to do zoology but I didn't do biology for leaving cert, only physics. Do the biology lectures start at leaving cert standard or are they more advanced because at an open day I was told that without LC biology I would really struggle with it.Any opinions would be much appreciated because I'm really worried about this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

you might find it a little bit harder but if you really want to do zoology then i'd say go for, i doing zoology myself and have a few friends doing it to so if you need help its just a matter of asking overall its not really hard its known for being one of the easier subjects to major in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AdamPower

I dropped out of the Ominibus 2 years ago.
    I remember one of the Bio modules I did was all out organism classifications and there was some work in it.
    But it's learning work and if you devote some time to it you'll catch up, you'll also enjoy the practicals, they're all disection and you work your way up from a disecting a worm to a small mammal.

Ofcourse the chances are you'll go into the Ominibus with your mind set on Zoology and end up coming to love something else!

During the first day you'll be given the chance to talk to various lectures so try to talk to the Biology related ones. I remember talking to a Zoology professor and he mentioned that of his last year only 2 people work in a zoo, the rest had started carees elsewhere.

Keep your mind open, the 1st year of the Ominibus is all about exploring your options and if you dedicate yourself to one you're only gonna stress yourself out.

(also I think you qualify for a nice easy module 'Introduction to Chemistry' and as you did Physics you'll find that module pretty easy. You should have those credits in the bag)

Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

OP, whoever told you that you'd struggle without LC biology is talking nonsense. Your going into first year and as such everything starts from the basics. I'd definitely say go for it and as Adam said, there's a good chance that you'll end up loving one of the other subjects anyway. Second year is full of options and it's where you'll start to find your preferred direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Holysock wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get into the science omnibus this year hopefully to follow on to do zoology but I didn't do biology for leaving cert, only physics. Do the biology lectures start at leaving cert standard or are they more advanced because at an open day I was told that without LC biology I would really struggle with it.Any opinions would be much appreciated because I'm really worried about this.

You'll be grand!

Just make sure you actually do the suggested reading, might help you along a good bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭thom119

I'm going into 4th year microbiology, and did biology for the leaving cert...
    from what i remember, not too much really carries on from leaving cert into 1st year biology modules. and as said before, the modules really start from scratch and you're shown how to write up practical reports and classify animals (etc.) in the labs

chances are you're going to find a different degree to major in when you come to UCD, i had my heart set on a biophysics type of degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

is it true that you have to be in the top 6 in the class in order to have a choice in which subject to major in?? i was told this and it turned me off it .. if i was to do the omnibus it would only be so that i could transfer to medicine as a grad or otherwise.. anyone help me out on whether this is possible or worth doing? or has anyone started in the omnibus and graduated in the medical field?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

HOBO123 wrote: »
    is it true that you have to be in the top 6 in the class in order to have a choice in which subject to major in?? i was told this and it turned me off it

No. See page 46 of this doc, it has all the numbers for the courses. One or two might be hard to get into but in general you'll get whatever you want. If in doubt contact the science programme office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

Doing Neuroscience, with no leaving cert biology. You'll be grand, definitely!
    You'll feel a little lost, but it won't be a problem. In semester 2 you'll probably get to do Cells, Genes and Microbes, which starts off from a fairly basic level.

There's an intro to physics, and intro to chem, but no intro to biology. Really annoyed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Doing Neuroscience, with no leaving cert biology. You'll be grand, definitely!
    You'll feel a little lost, but it won't be a problem. In semester 2 you'll probably get to do Cells, Genes and Microbes, which starts off from a fairly basic level.

There's an intro to physics, and intro to chem, but no intro to biology. Really annoyed me!

But physics and chemistry are a little more abstract.

Your first bio module, animal div and evo is very simple, and requires next to now prior knowledge anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

I agree they're more abstract, I'm just sour because I had to do a compulsory second year physiology module in semester 1 with no biology :o

first lecture begins with
    "well, we all know what's in a cell......."
    *face drops*

• Advertisement
Advertisement