Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new Fantasy and Sci-fi Mag

• 26-06-2010 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

A friend of mine has suggest that there is a lack of fantasty and Sci-fi mags that publish short stories and that are there for the general public. Therefore I have decided to write these questions.

1: Would people be interested in a mag that published short stories in the fantasy and sci-fi that were no greater than 3000 words (though if a story was good enough it could be published as a series) as well as reviews of books, films, games and other things?

2: Would people be willing to pay the €5 a issue that I think it would cost to publish.

It would be the ambition that this would become a monthy mag and that it would offer a new option to people who wanted to write short stories to get their work published.

I look foward to your replies.
    Commandant

If anybody has anything they wish to say to me personally they can pm me and I will reply as soon as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to the Sci-fi & fantasy board from Literature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think your main obstacle would be that you can get recent short story anthology's for ~€5, which are obviously going to contain a lot more material, and likely from more well known authors.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thebadmonkey

it'd be aimed at those who enjoy fantasy AND have pretensions of writing it :)

I'd be interested alright but itd be a very niche market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Maybe a blog/site would be a good way to do this. You could build up a community of writers/readers/sci-fi enthusiasts.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Have you encountered Albedo One ?

http://www.albedo1.com/

I think you can get it from Forbidden Planet, for about 6 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Most of the existing Mags are in financial trouble.
    Have a read back through the archives on Warren Ellis as he has some great well thought out views on the industry. http://www.warrenellis.com/

Alan

Advertisement