Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus Points Maths

• 26-06-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,
    I just read on the Irish Independent something along the lines of ''all universities are expected to award bonus points for honours maths from next September to the start of Project maths. This took me by surprise as I thought it was only going to be for Project maths ( which is sunfair anyway because Project Maths is the level of difficulty as the Junior Cert Higher Paper). Was that a typo or something or are colleges really going to offer that for 2011 exams? It would make sense as a lot of people are expected to take pass next year for their Leaving Cert instead of higher.
    Does anybody know any more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If it happens, it won't be specifically for Project Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

My friends were talking about this as well but I wasn't sure if it's true or not. I figured if it's true, boards.ie would be talking about it already.

I do honours maths and I hope it's true but would feel kinda cheated as well. If I knew that we'd get extra points, I would've put extra effort on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I thought bonus points were not going to be awarded until 2012 exams >>>> http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/all-colleges-expected-to-give-maths-extra-marks-2223293.html but my link is 10 days old so maybe things have moved on.

If it is 2011 it's hardly fair on people who are doing the LC in 2011 and who chose pass maths in order to ironically maximise their points by allocating more time to other subjects.

If it is 2011 there could be a few 6th years in september trying to get back into the honours maths class or trying it themselves. Messy!

EDIT: Latest >>>> http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/minister-at-odds-with-ucd-over-bonus-points-for-maths-scheme-2235857.html

seems it's 2012 yeah ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 turbanfever

If there is bonus points for maths it wont be implemented until 2012 unfortunately :( i just checked it on the Irish Independent website.
    It's so unfair, I'm currently doing Honours maths and its not fair that there will be no bonus points offered for 2011! Its such a long course and very difficult!

If there is bonus points for maths it wont be implemented until 2012 unfortunately :( i just checked it on the Irish Independent website.
    It's so unfair, I'm currently doing Honours maths and its not fair that there will be no bonus points offered for 2011! Its such a long course and very difficult!

Yeah but if you screw up next year , when you repeat in 2012 you'll have your bonus. WIN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 turbanfever

pathway33 wrote: »
    Yeah but if you screw up next year , when you repeat in 2012 you'll have your bonus. WIN!

haha true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

why should there be bonus points for maths? the course isnt that long or difficult. to be fair some people work harder than any honours student to scrape a c3 in pass so its hardly fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

leg wrote: »
    why should there be bonus points for maths? the course isnt that long or difficult. to be fair some people work harder than any honours student to scrape a c3 in pass so its hardly fair

For a compulsory subject maths has the lowest of the honours level with only about 15% of students doing it.

This would entice more people to work harder to do honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

Yeah, but I was just drawing your attention to the phrase:

''Despite their reservations, all of the universities are expected to go along with bonus points as an interim measure until Project Maths is taken by all Leaving Cert students.''

I was wondering whether that meant bonus points for next year as that's what is implied in the phrase.

The only people that want the extra points are the naturally good people at maths who dont have to do much work anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but I was just drawing your attention to the phrase:

''Despite their reservations, all of the universities are expected to go along with bonus points as an interim measure until Project Maths is taken by all Leaving Cert students.''

I was wondering whether that meant bonus points for next year as that's what is implied in the phrase.

reading it like that, it points to 2011 alright

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xAnnex

I really hope they change it to 2011!! I doubt I will need to repeat so I'll never get the benefit of the extra points :/
    Still though it's good that they're doing it, but then what was the point of Project Maths? I thought that was to reduce the fail rate and make the subject easier? So as soon as Project Maths comes in fully (2012), you'll also get more points for it? That seems like it'll make it too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

The selfish part of me doesn't want these bonus points in next year seeing as it's highly likely I'll be dropping to pass come September. So unfair :( Seeing as my mam forced me to go through with it for this year, I didn't work at it and if we had found out earlier it would had provided an incentive for me to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The only people that want the extra points are the naturally good people at maths who dont have to do much work anyway.
    That's not exactly true. A lot of people just want an incentive for putting in the amount of work it requires for them to do so they have less of a reason to feel they're wasting their time.

I'm fairly good at maths and I wouldn't have wanted extra points just because I was better suited to it. I was terrible at Irish on the other hand and I'd have felt a bit cheated if somebody took my place because they were naturally better at something mostly irrelevant or if the course didn't even require a high standard in Irish.

Davidius wrote: »
    That's not exactly true. A lot of people just want an incentive for putting in the amount of work it requires for them to do so they have less of a reason to feel they're wasting their time.

The same thing can be said for any subject if i was told i could double points for japanesse id try and learn it. Same can be said for maths i know people who worked harder than any honours student just to get a pass so theres no point saying honours students work harder than everyone else because it is simply not the case.
    I'm fairly good at maths and I wouldn't have wanted extra points just because I was better suited to it. I was terrible at Irish on the other hand and I'd have felt a bit cheated if somebody took my place because they were naturally better at something mostly irrelevant or if the course didn't even require a high standard in Irish
    But its the same thing for maths. How many courses require honours maths engineering and a rew others. Why should people who need maths get more points its an unfair stupid system each subject should be equal in a cao system it would work in the ucas system but its stupid fr the cao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The same thing can be said for any subject if i was told i could double points for japanesse id try and learn it. Same can be said for maths i know people who worked harder than any honours student just to get a pass so theres no point saying honours students work harder than everyone else because it is simply not the case.
    I'm not saying I agree with their reasoning or if it even has a sound basis, just pointing out that a lot of people who wants the extra points for maths aren't those who are naturally good at it.
    But its the same thing for maths. How many courses require honours maths engineering and a rew others. Why should people who need maths get more points its an unfair stupid system each subject should be equal in a cao system it would work in the ucas system but its stupid fr the cao
    If I'm reading what you said correctly then that's exactly what I was saying. I'm doing a maths course and I wouldn't like to not have gotten a place because somebody got extra points for doing Irish. In the same vein I don't think it's fair that somebody should lose their place in their course because the system decided that having HL maths meant you were more worthy despite not even technically needing HL to do the course.

Oh right sorry i misread what you were saying.

The only courses that should offer bonus points for maths a re courses that require honours maths and even then why give someone something extra for a minimum requirement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

The only courses that should offer bonus points for maths a re courses that require honours maths and even then why give someone something extra for a minimum requirement

Yeah that's right O_O, if it's mandatory then EVERY applicant would get the "extra points" which defeats the purpose...

Advertisement