Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedforward & Trustees

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

There is sycophancy on Boards.

Newer users will give more attention to Mods comments than others. Certain types of user will "look up to" / respect / suck up to (depending on your point of view) Mods simply because they are Mods. Some users will be sycophantic to Mods in the hope of being Mods themselves one day. Same thing goes with CMods, double with Admins and times ten when it comes to DeV.

But (newsflash) that is how the world works. In any social group you'll have those on the "inside" and those who want to be on teh inside. Any group where an individual has a degree of control will develop a political twist. And Mods tend to be long term users with lots of friends and acquaintances on teh site, they tend to be popular and they tend to not talk lots of crap. So they tend to be the sorts of people who get lots of agreement and thanks anyway, which reinforces the stereotype.

Unless you want to change the whole dynamic of teh way people interact with each other I don't think this one is ever going to change. And I think it's to the credit of the Mods (and by extension CMods and Admins) that despite that natural tendency there is often quite heated disagreement between Mods, usually in teh Mod forum and sometimes in FB. Off teh top of my head I can think of at least three major arguments in the last six months or so, one of which lead directly to the ACT campaign that ultimatley helped bring us here.

And FWIW I think that FF should have about a tenth the number of trustees and a more proportional spread. But it was discussed and we have the list we have. It's not concrete, it will change over time and there is - as far as I know - a solid plan to get more users in there. It just takes time!

Advertisement