Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Month Ban from Rugby

Options
  • 26-06-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've received an excessive ban from Rugby. The crime? Referring to a few GAA jerseys in the crows as mucks. I don't think this is serious abuse, more poking fun. It was wrong and I shouldn't have done it. I received an infraction and that should be punishment enough. I pm'd the mod and was told I was continually derailing the thread. What rubbish. I contributed about 20 other posts in the thread on the game. In fact many agreed with my sentiment about the GAA jerseys. What sort of overbearing regime is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hi there.

From what you've posted, you've had a chat with the mod about it. Have you PMed one of the sport cmods? They're the next port of call if you're unhappy with your exchange with the mod (they're also listed in that link).

Aside and up to you, but I'd leave out the "overbearing regime" bit when you're PMing the cmod as it'll be taken as a bit more conciliatory if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

user dragged a thread off topic and has a go at gaa "mucksavages". has another go and was infracted. had another not so subtle dig at "GAA heads" and then had a dig at the moderation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66604095#post66604095

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66604764#post66604764

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66604819#post66604819

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66604875&postcount=326

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Looks like a fair cop (guv'nor).

I think the OP is relatively new to boards, and possibly the Rugby forum. Due to the history of trolling, the forum tends to have low tolerance for people having a go at GAA and other codes, and are particularly intolerant of threads being dragged off topic while games are on. I think the charter is pretty clear and upfront about what is and is not tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Wow. Never realised 'GAA Heads' was such an emotive taunt. It seems the establishment have spoken so I'll rest my case. This is in fact my second helpdesk thread about the Rugby forum. You might remember a previous incident where the same mod blanket infracted a load of posters for referring to Heaslip's thuggish behaviour. This despite it being acknowledged as such by all and sundry. Bottom line is the forum suffers from overbearing, heavy handed moderation. These guys seem to be in an awful hurry to get their rule book out.

Bottom line is the forum suffers from overbearing, heavy handed moderation. These guys seem to be in an awful hurry to get their rule book out.

The bottom line is that the forum suffers from too many people trolling and wanting to take pot shots at supporters of other teams (e.g. Munster-Leinster) or other codes (e.g. GAA) or other nationalities (e.g. the anthems banned as a discussion topic). The rugby forum has developed a set of rules which facilitate good discussion in the forum. The forum is now a far more pleasant place for the majority of users to discuss rugby in a constructive manner since the mods acted on the users requests to put stricter rules in place (search forum for discussions on the new charter).

The OP here appears on the surface to have been a bit unfortunate considering the length of ban, but as the mod pointed out, he had plenty of warning and continued to persist and attack the mods on thread. I think some of that may be down to unfamiliarity with boards and moderation, and that could be taken into consideration by the mods on appeal.

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote: »
    What's the relevance of these links? They lead to nothing. In fact what you have done is deleted the 'offending' posts, thereby weakening my chance to make a full defense. Convenient that, eh? I thought this was the forum to lay the full facts on the line and make a balanced argument. It seems all it is is a forum to facilitate a favorable outcome for the mods.

I posted a reply on this thread earlier. Why hasn't it been approved while others have?

I posted a reply on this thread earlier. Why hasn't it been approved while others have?

I don't see any replies on this thread which have not been approved (from anybody).

What's the relevance of these links? They lead to nothing. In fact what you have done is deleted the 'offending' posts, thereby weakening my chance to make a full defense. Convenient that, eh? I thought this was the forum to lay the full facts on the line and make a balanced argument. It seems all it is is a forum to facilitate a favorable outcome for the mods.

Admins can see the deleted posts - they are only removed from public view. We have all of the facts necessary to make a decision, and from my point of view the moderator is clearly correct in his actions here.

Trojan wrote: »
    I don't see any replies on this thread which have not been approved (from anybody).
    That was clearly in reference to the post above my last. It was waiting to be approved for quite a while. Never mind though, sceptre saw to it. It's noticeable that the mod hasn't been back on this thread to further discuss this banning. Slap 'em on the wrists and to hell with the arbitration process seems to be the policy.

• Advertisement

It's noticeable that the mod hasn't been back on this thread to further discuss this banning. Slap 'em on the wrists and to hell with the arbitration process seems to be the policy.

To be fair to the moderator, his case is so clearly correct that I don't blame him for not returning to discuss - why should he waste his valuable time arguing when he's clearly correct?

Speaking of which, I feel the same way. Appeal denied, moderator decision upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement