Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Purple, 30th June at the Marqee, Cork

Options
  • 26-06-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Who's going? After missing Megadeth, I definitely wasn't gonna miss this one. Should be a blast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

I'll be there, my expectations are not so high, but going in with an open mind and we'll see what happens!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Yeah, headin' down for this... seen them in '02 and with Skynyrd in '03, put on a great show!! Is there any support act???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hells yes! Fourth time seeing them, cant wait!! Haven't heard about support, just hope they play more from perfect strangers as they seem to be doing lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Yes I shall be in attendance, Can't wait either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Purpleone

Anyone know what hotel the and are staying in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry Ritchie, no! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Purpleone wrote: »
    Anyone know what hotel the and are staying in?

Think they're camping .. heard something about a big tent down along the docks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I thoroughly enjoyed the Belfast show on Monday night, you are in for a treat tonight \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The gig was ok anyway. It was my first time seeing them, started off with the sound not great, (well I was sitting up on the right of the stage so it might have been better in the center) but it improved after a few songs. It wouldn't have been the best gig I was ever at, but I was glad I went especially to hear songs like Perfect Strangers, Smoke on the water, etc.
    There was a good crowd at it although a few more could have fitted in.
    An enjoyable night in Cork overall.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I really enjoyed it, good atmosphere from the crowd, and the lads had loads of energy in every song. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

great gig. Sound was ropey, way too much bass drum, but that might be the tent? Gillan looks fighting fit (a lot thinner than the last time in the o2 a few years ago) and the vibe was brilliant, they were clearly enjoying themselves. "Sometimes" was great, they could have done with another slow ballad type song, and Morse is a class guitarist. Pity Paice didn't get a solo. Glover is a much better player than he looks too, doesn't overcook it but very tight and can do the speedy stuff when wanted. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Not too sure if this is the exact set list but it's pretty close

Highway Star
    Things I Never Said
    Strange Kind Of Woman
    Maybe I’m a Leo
    Rapture Of The Deep
    Fireball (including Into The Fire riff at end)
    Contact Lost
    Guitar Solo
    Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming
    The Well Dressed Guitar
    Mary Long
    Lazy
    No One Came
    Keyboard Solo (including excerpt from Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika)
    Perfect Strangers
    Space Truckin’
    Smoke On The Water
    Encores
    Hush
    Bass Solo
    Black Night

Glover's bass solo surprised me, I was expecting a plodding solo which would have me heading to the toilet but was very surprised, very lively.
    Great to see / hear Mary Long and Maybe I'm a Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

I was kinda hoping for Ted The Mechanic, but oh well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No Ted? Glad I didn't go then!

(any excuse)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Like I said earlier, my expectations were low, but I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Ian Gillian looked every inch the "rock star" on stage to me, voice was good, sound was a helluva lot better than Megadeth, cool setlist, active appreciative crowd, almost sold out, all in in all I was super impressed.

Was @ Pearl Jam week before, was super excited all year, but was terribly hungover and stood way back, didnt interact & didnt get the full effect, my mistake, but Deep Purple made up for that scenario against all the odds, happy camper here! Would jump at chance to see Purple again.

Just to add, as a punter said...Morse IS a class guitairist, ideal fit for Purple. And did they look like they were having fun or what???!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The gig was savage! pretty drunk at the thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Great show, but much safer set than they seem to have been playing lately. Got three tracks from Perfect Strangers and Battle Rages on last year, so it would have been nice to see a bit more from the 80's/early 90's

Advertisement