Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Punisher Fans here?

Options
  • 26-06-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey,

Maybe someone can help me out here.

I've been reading the Punisher Max series by Garth Ennis recently. I've read all the trade's and they seem to end at issue 10 Valley forge, Valley Forge.

Does anyone know what happened the series after this? I head that Enis moved on but another auther took over. I've Googled it and there seem's to be a few different names for the new title.

Does anyone know if they are available in a collected format, and what name they go under?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a bit of confusion alright. Ennis wrote sixty odd issues of Punisher MAX but after issue 66 that series was retitled to Punisher:Frank Castle (or something like that).

Confusingly, it was also announced that Jason Aaron would be taking over from Ennis, but what actually happened is that a new series called PunisherMAX was launched, with Aaron writing it.

Your best bet is to check out this Wikipedia page for The Punisher: Frank Castle to get a list of all the collected editions of the series that Ennis wrote and which has now been taken over by someone else. Otherwise you could end up reading the Rick Remender FrankenCastle stuff, which is a completely different beast...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McKennsy

Thanks for that. I'll try and track a few of the new ones down on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fysh wrote: »
    There's a bit of confusion alright.

Thanks from me also. I was just looking the other day to see if any new volumes had come out. I was getting the Max hardcovers. Didn't consider a rebranding. I now know where Punisher: War Journal disappeared to aswell. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JordanRHughes

I am a punisher fan, but I can't help you with your question I am intrigued though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Punisher max is still out. see pic
    Punisher Max #8 001.jpg

Punisher war journal is now Frankencastle as far as i can make out
    Franken-Castle #17 001.jpg

could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

From wiki:
    Marvel relaunched The Punisher War Journal in 2009 as Punisher (2009 series), with a thematic link tied to the events of the Dark Reign storyline and, following the departure of writer Garth Ennis, retitled the Marvel Max series (formerly Punisher Max) as Punisher: Frank Castle MAX; and more recently as "Punisher: Frank Castle" or Frank Castle: The Punisher (depending on the source), launching a new series, PunisherMax by Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon.

Hmmm....

I think I've read most of the Ennis series.

Am I right in thinking the Punisher War Journal / Punisher series is the more "comic book" one, and set in the Marvel universe? So Frankencastle is a continuation of that one, with superherous popping in and so on?

Jason Aaron could be great - I love "Scalped" - like to see what he'd do with the Punisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

D'oh - I managed to competely miss the post by Fysh which essentially answered my questions - sorry Fysh!
    Fysh wrote: »
    There's a bit of confusion alright. Ennis wrote sixty odd issues of Punisher MAX but after issue 66 that series was retitled to Punisher:Frank Castle (or something like that).

Confusingly, it was also announced that Jason Aaron would be taking over from Ennis, but what actually happened is that a new series called PunisherMAX was launched, with Aaron writing it.

So, essentially, there are going to be three Punisher series?

1. Punisher:Frank Castle, a continuation of the Ennis series.
    2. PunisherMAX by Jason Aaron.
    3. Franken-Castle (I hate this already, without reading any of it)

It seems weird that they'd run 1 and 2 at the same time, unless dropping the MAX means less grittiness and gore, with Aaron making up for that in his series, and 1 will tone it down?

Advertisement