Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing a puppy

Options
  • 26-06-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

My folks have an 8 month old Basset Hound puppy. She's been out and about a lot with my Dad lately as he spends his Sundays at a mixture of horse and car shows! Anyway, he's been getting lots of positive comments on her, including from a guy who shows Bassets himself and another guy who we later found out was a judge. Obviously, you can't really tell whether people are just being polite, or if she actually has potential. She was due to be neutered soon, but now the folks are thinking about taking her to a show before that, just to see how she gets on, so I would like to get more information for them.

I had a look on the IKC site but there isn't much there. I'll pack them off to the next local show to have a look around. I read this thread here which mentioned ring craft classes in Limerick. Does anyone know any more about them?

Also, can someone explain how showing classes work for puppies. Do they go in their own breed class? Or do all the different breed puppies just go in a puppy class? I assume there are lower expectations in terms of ring craft/training for pups?

Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

hi shanagarry

If your dog is geting good reports from ppl in the know and your parents are willing to attend a show then why not?!? Give it a go, its great fun and a love social day out! Once your dog has IKC papers you can enter any IKC show. Check out www.dogshowentry.ie to see a list of all the up and coming shows around the country... there are alot down munster way coming up around august, maybe you could get some of them in!

Your basset at 8 months can enter two classes, breed class Puppy Bitch (which is for dogs between the ages of 6 to 12 months specific to that breed) and she can also enter a class called PuppyStakes which is a class for all sorts of breeds of puppies between the ages of 6 to 12 months.

It would be a good idea to attend classes if you can, its just a good way for you and the dog to get used to what happens in teh ring with the judge, but puppies do get away with a little bit more than older dogs coz they're still learning!

www.irishdogs.ie/forum is also a good site for info, there are a lot of members on there who show their dogs and are very helpful

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Thanks Kassie, that's very useful. As you said, no harm in taking her once and seeing how she gets on anyway, otherwise they will always wonder.

Advertisement