Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Architecture Vs. UCD Architecture

Options
  • 26-06-2010 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to put number 1 on my CAO, i didn't think i would get DIT, but i did, so :confused::confused::confused:!!

So can anyone tell me which one to put number 1?? What are the pros' and cons' of each??

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I know that the pro's of Ucd is you get a masters at the end, whilst in D.I.T you get a higher Diploma.

Also your degree in UCD is reconised by the RIBA and the RIAI

But I think you gotta pay for the 4th and 5th year in UCD as it's a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 spraticus

Ah this year in DIT the programme is being changed so that you'r final two years will also be a masters course.

From my experience DIT architecture is a great course, very practical and well taught and the studios are pretty nice and not split up like the UCD ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I have very little time to decide which to put first. So many varying opinions. UCD is my first choice and DIT second but I dunno if I want to change them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭BenK

There's probably a few threads about this already in the Arts and Architecture forum.

I studied Architecture in UCD and thought the course was pretty well run. I think the general stereotype is that the DIT course is more practical and UCD one is more creative or artistic. I can't really comment on this really though, having not gone to DIT. In a professional sense I think there is no real advantage with one qualification over the other. After qualifying, I don't think architects offices look on one qualification as being particularly better than the other. I would add that you don't have to pay for the 4th and 5th years in UCD either as someone else stated. Also when I did it you didn't get a 'masters' after the 5 years; you earn a Bachelor of Architecture degree. Maybe this has changed in the mean time though.

The reality is when you finish your degree you will still have to work for a minimum of 2-3 years towards getting your professional qualification anyway. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Long time since I graduated from UCD, but at the time both courses were excellent. The advantage of DIT is that it's in town and all one campus, whereas Richview is separated from the main Campus. I couldn't find any information on DIT's website about who the tutors are, so I can't comment, however looking at the UCD staff list, there's a good mix of youth and experience, all with a great enthusiasm for Architecture and Design. Both schools have produced some very talented Architects, so it's a tough call. Best of luck with the choice and the course - by the time you graduate there should be some work out there again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

I made my decision - DIT first!! Hope it was the right thing to do! :rolleyes: But i was told it was more fun than UCD, so should be fun anyway!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

See this on the Building Control Act 2007: http://www.riai.ie/education/careers/becoming_an_architect/

The DIT was a fine decision, UCD would have been great too. The qualification will be equivalent, the experience may differ slightly.

DIT has a great reputation in this area and good people. It will also be an exciting time to be there as Grangegorman takes off (maybe....).

Grangegorman??? whats that?

Campus development plans at the DIT: http://www.dit.ie/about/grangegorman/

Plans to see all sites move to a centralised location over the coming years. But not at all assured.

tomtom101 wrote: »
    I made my decision - DIT first!! Hope it was the right thing to do! :rolleyes: But i was told it was more fun than UCD, so should be fun anyway!! :D:D

Best of luck with it all anyway tomtom101. Be prepared for a lot of hard work and long hours but it does have it's plus points too! Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

BenK wrote: »
    I would add that you don't have to pay for the 4th and 5th years in UCD either as someone else stated. Also when I did it you didn't get a 'masters' after the 5 years; you earn a Bachelor of Architecture degree. Maybe this has changed in the mean time though.

AFAIK you do have to pay for 4th and 5th year because they now have changed them to a masters degree and you have to pay for any masters degree you do.....could be wrong though but thats what I was told at the oprn day.

Crow92 wrote: »
    AFAIK you do have to pay for 4th and 5th year because they now have changed them to a masters degree and you have to pay for any masters degree you do.....could be wrong though but thats what I was told at the oprn day.

Fair enough, I'm not up to speed with it since they changed it to a masters. I qualified in 2006 and it was a Bachelor of Architecture degree you left with at that time after the 5 years. I would be surprised, however, if you had to pay for it because it's not like other Masters courses which are add-on things to your primary degree. The M.Arch, even though it is a masters, is still the primary architecture degree really (I know you do get B.Arch Science degree after 3 years though but that was never the goal when you started the course...). Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it just seems quite scabby of them if you do have to pay for those 2 extra years seeing as you never had to before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 spraticus

Best of luck with it all anyway tomtom101. Be prepared for a lot of hard work and long hours but it does have it's plus points too! Enjoy!

BenK is right! The works hard but architecture parties are great parties. You'll have a great experience over the year!

This year is the first that there will be fees for 4th and 5th year, because they're changing the course to a masters of something?! but i wouldn't worry about it, 4th and 5th year aren't compulsary, and i think its reccommended to do a year work before thes last 2 years... if that makes sense?! :confused::confused:

tomtom101 wrote: »
    This year is the first that there will be fees for 4th and 5th year, because they're changing the course to a masters of something?! but i wouldn't worry about it, 4th and 5th year aren't compulsary, and i think its reccommended to do a year work before thes last 2 years... if that makes sense?! :confused::confused:

I stand corrected about the fees Crow92! In relation to 4th and 5th year not being compulsory, they are compulsory if you want to eventually become registered as an architect with the RIAI after completing your professional practice exams. I'm genuinely very surprised that you now have to pay for these 2 years because you can't become an architect without doing them. The year out after 3rd year is highly recommended too, out of my year only 2 didn't do it. I found it was nice to get a bit of a breather from the college course at this point as it does get quite intense!

TJJP wrote: »
    See this on the Building Control Act 2007: http://www.riai.ie/education/careers/becoming_an_architect/
    I stand corrected about the fees Crow92! In relation to 4th and 5th year not being compulsory, they are compulsory if you want to eventually become registered as an architect with the RIAI after completing your professional practice exams. I'm genuinely very surprised that you now have to pay for these 2 years because you can't become an architect without doing them. <snip>

Do note that it was the RIAI pushing this, not the higher ed institutions. Regardless of where you study the requirements for RIAI recognition will be the same.

In relation to the fees how much we talking? I changed DIT to my first choice on CAO.

Also, in UL - the QCA only counts for years 4 & 5. Is this the same in DIT?

I cant tell ya anything about UL, they rejected me when i sent in the portfolio!!

But i've still got Queens in Belfast and Robert Gordan in Scotland incase i dont get the points - they accepted the portfolio!! :D:D:D

UL rejected my portfolio aswell

My question is in relation to the QCA in DIT though.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Haha... What is this QCA you talk of??? :confused::confused:

2. Advertisement
    3. Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Every Semester your QCA changes depending on your grades. It goes to 4.0
      When you graduate it decides whether you get a first or second class honours etc.

In UL the QCA only affects your graduating result from year 4. I'm wondering what is the case in DIT.

Apparently its close to impossible to graduate with a first class honours in Architecture; what i've heard.

Advertisement