Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATIONAL RECOVERY....what is this jibberish?????

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    From what I can see about said case, the German guy in question had actually changed some of the wording (removing any spiritual references) while still using the AA name and this is why they moved against him.

In order to help atheist alcoholics to quit drinking.

If the AAWS really cared about getting people sober they wouldn't go after someone who tries to use their tools to help those who haven't yet been reached. Instead they took legal action and perjured themselves in order to protect their finances.

iguana wrote: »

If the AAWS really cared about getting people sober they wouldn't go after someone who tries to use their tools to help those who haven't yet been reached. Instead they took legal action and perjured themselves in order to protect their finances.

Yeah it does indeed seem like a stupid move. But that said, they were protecting their name from a message which essentially isn't theirs.

There's lots of atheists in the group I go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I disagree with you here Iguana because if what rojo is saying is that he took material and altered it.

Its like the difference between champagne & champagne method sparkling wine or chinese counterfeit harry potter

http://www.athenaalliance.org/weblog/archives/2007/08/counterfeit_har.html

In other words -the issue seems to be that it was a" knock-off " and people may have felt that the use of "knock -off" material that was substantially edited would harm its work and confuse its members who expect a generic version.

Now you mentioned your hubby attends and finds it helpful. So why should someone who travels to Germany and expects to get the universal version get this other German Guys version.

That seems to be what the issue was about as far as I can see. No wonder they got upset.

Its like going into KFC and finding Big Macs -its not what you have gone there for and would really upset Hungry Hindu's . Or placing an advert in what you think is the Evening Herald only to find out its Corks Evening Echo.

Imagine the outcry if he got hold of Linda McCartneys Foods and decided to add meat- I'd buy the lasagne.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Yeah it does indeed seem like a stupid move. But that said, they were protecting their name from a message which essentially isn't theirs.

Except what they have done has done a lot more damage to their name than someone who thought that the jist of their message was good passing on his favourite parts of it. It was a case about money, look at the amount of damages they sought? And the fact that they perjured themselves and the fact that the information that was altered was public domain but they made claims about the translation.

And while I think the situation in Germany was bad the one in Mexico was somewhat worse. A recovering alcoholic who believed in AA because of the help he got and he wanted to share that message with other was put in jail due to the actions of the organisation he believed in. A lot of relapses happen in jail as it stands, in this case I fear the odds of him losing his sobriety are incredibly high.

And I know lots of atheists go to AA but a lot will be put off by any hint of spirituality. I'm an atheist, I really believe that all spirituality is just fairy stories and I feel very uncomfortable in it's presence. I've used al-anon at times when I have been at very low points an desperate to talk to others who understand but in general I can't be around it. I would definitely go to meeting more often without the spiritual side. In London (where I lived until a few months ago) I attended an NHS group that I was a lot more comfortable in and I went at least weekly. But the spirituality of al-anon often leaves me feeling much worse. The difference is I'm not an alcoholic, if I feel like crap I just feel like crap for a bit and then I get on with life. I do believe that there is likely to be at least as many alcoholic atheists who feel worse in the presence of spirituality than those who can ignore it. If having entirely non-spiritual information helped just 5 people that's enough. Isn't 'take what you need and leave the rest' long standing AA advice? So if someone thought some information could be passed on, while leaving the rest' would help people he did nothing anyone needs to protect their name from.

CDfm wrote: »
    I disagree with you here Iguana because if what rojo is saying is that he took material and altered it.

He altered public domain material. Public domain, it belongs to everyone on earth to do whatever the hell they want with it, AAWS had no right to it and they perjured themselves while claiming it.

It's the equivalent of AAWS suing me for this:

Jingle Bells, Batman smells,
    Robin laid an egg,
    I changed the words of public domain,
    And I was threatened with jail.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Isn't 'take what you need and leave the rest' long standing AA advice? ....
    No, because AA's entire programme is suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

He altered public domain material. Public domain, it belongs to everyone on earth to do whatever the hell they want with it, AAWS had no right to it and they perjured themselves while claiming it.

It's the equivalent of AAWS suing me for this:

Jingle Bells, Batman smells,
    Robin laid an egg,
    I changed the words of public domain,
    And I was threatened with jail.

I think you are hitching your wagon to a lame horse here by going down the hippy free speech trail.

You get a german guy who takes a bunch of material and cherry picks the stuff he likes and sub edits everything else out. He releases it and claims its the same,he does this because he is an atheist. He uses the logos and everything.

Does he use the flying spaghetti monster -well who knows and maybe he will in the reprint

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=33895On

Now the group he does this to havw been around for a bit less than 100 years and in that time they have set up a network of groups world wide. Their literature can get thru customs into many countries and is not on the banned list for political or religious reasons to most countries.

They get a tad upset at this turn of events and say that they believe they have a stronger claim and that their menbers in many countries who use their method and material could easily get confused and this could have an impact on them.

Now the bunch of people he has picked on believe in the method and do not want him messing with it. They feel the changes are too great.

That the material is in the public domain is one issue -there is also another public health and promotion issue for people using the method currently.

Weighing it up the courts find for the existing group.

Nothing wrong with any of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

+1 with CDfm above.

It's interesting that most of the information about the German court case(s) etc appears as a series of linked articles on the About.com:Alcoholism web-site in pretty much the same format as Iguana presents it. However, it seems to me there are certain key facts missing from what she presented. Decided for yourselves. Have a wander around the linked articles at the bottom of the page above.

For example in relation to the multilith / public domain /copyright issue regarding A.A.'s Big Book, the only legal information given is the unsupported opinion of a single unidentified lawyer in the US. It is not specified who requested this opinion or who if anyone paid for it, but it is clear that copyright has not been adjudicated on fully in court.

Is it a bit strange that Iguana apparently decided to edit this material and re-present it rather than just present links in her posts, as I have here.

BTW, for anyone interested, there are several key A.A. publications available to download free from A.A.'s official web-site, including the "12 and 12" (The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions) and the "Big Book" (Edition 4 of Alcohics Anonymous).

Let me repeat that. You can have the very latest most up-to-date editions of these books that sell for about €20 each in book-shops for free in electronic form direct from A.A. with no shipping charges.

Is this typical of a so-called materialistic organisation? Does this fulfil Ruth Hock's expectation, expressed in PASS IT ON (Bill W's biography) that the intention always was that the book be given away free of charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Take it easy guys - things are getting a bit heated at times :)

We're all about frank, open, rational discussion about the different paths to recovery that people take. We won't be censoring discussion of AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

It's an allegory, communicating its message by means of symbolic figures, actions or symbolic representation. Similar in a way to the novel Jeckyll and Hyde which many believe is also an allegory for alcoholism. Alcoholics generally do things which the person themselves, if not in the grip of addiction would be disgusted by. But when deep in their addiction everything that that person cares about comes second (if it's lucky) to the deep desire to drink. The addict when lucid is often filled with shame and sorrow for their actions while drunk/desperate to drink but this somehow tends to lead them back to drinking.

It's like they are two minds in one body. One who wants to be able to get on with their life and one who wants to drink at whatever cost. It's not just true of addicts, most people experience it to varying degrees, almost everyone debates with themselves at some point between what they want to do and what they should do. But with an active addict the consequences tend to be more severe.

Rational Recovery is basically the creation of an allegory which encourages you to think of the voice that wants a drink at any cost as a separate, hostile being. Something that at it's root is selfish and stupid but could destroy you. Then once you have visualised it like that you vow to not let it control you anymore. Visualisation of your negatives as other and vocalising your intentions to defeat that other is a tried and tested psychological method. Though it's success are varied depending on the person, their commitment to change and their belief in the method.

Most people who are critical of the organisation are critical because they are informed not because they don't have a clue. Most of the arguments I've heard against AA are based on intelligent reasoning based on personal experience, study and research. And all most all defences against those arguments are based on off the cuff, baseless assumptions of lack of experience.

I've been involved with AA and al-anon for an awful long time now. It certainly has it's merits, but it has also got much bigger flaws. I've done a lot of research into it's founding, it's early establishment and the abusive, disgusting excuse for a human being that was Bill Wilson. And it's success rates, which are lower than the success rates for just quitting all by yourself which isn't very high at all. It's an organisation which I firmly believe does an awful lot more harm than good.

It has some very excellent methods. The sponsor programme and the very fact that it creates somewhere that addicts can meet and support each other. But the philosophy it espouses is more dangerous than helpful to most and it's dominance in treatment philosophy is unhelpful because it prevents the far more successful methodologies from gaining acceptance.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dmrta

Hi,

I've been in AA for 21 years, amongst other 12 step fellowships. It was with some misgivings that I ordered the book Rational Recovery about four months ago. Since reading it, I haven't gone back to AA nor do I intend to. I still go to one meeting a week in one other 12 step fellowship and I reserve my position on that. Gone, however, are the two or three or sometimes four meetings a week, weekly calls to sponsors, daily calls to other members, step work, retreats, conventions. No wonder 'recovery' was itself creating strains in my home - you're always on the phone, always going out, talk to others not to me - all true except I would die if I didn't. I've discovered that it was not true that I would die, nor would I go mad, nor would I drink. It was only when I heard a contrary view could I see how all consuming the solution was. But did it need to be? Was it not just simply a case of putting the plug in the bottle? I believe it was that simple. So I drank irresponsibly for, in my case, a few years. So, for the rest of my life (21 years to date plus another, possibly, 30, 40 or even 50 years) I go to meetings and do all the rest of that stuff. Suddenly, it didn't make sense. The response was completely disproportionate to the problem.

There is another side to all of this time spent in 'recovery.' It is time that could have been spent doing something else, a hobby, a worthy cause etc. You don't hear much about things like that in AA / 12 steps. There is a deeper background in AA and that is the much vaunted 12 traditions - no opinion on outside issues etc. Sure, each member is free to make up his own mind, but then again we are encouraged to incorporate the principals of the traditions in our daily lives. The book 12 Steps and 12 Traditions tells us in effect that no organisation protects as much its members right to their own views etc as AA. But watch the freeze someone gets if they consistently speak against AA principles. And perhaps that's as it should be. If someone is not for it or at least not prepared to suffer it, what is the point in them being there, causing conflict and division? None at all. I don't intend to do that but this is not an AA forum. No much is said of AA's predecessor, the Oxford Group and its founder. There is a book on line called, 'AA Cult or Cure' which is worth a read. I just browsed through it but it does give some interesting information about Oxford Group principal's which are found in the 12 Traditions as well as the 12 steps.

I often wondered in 21 years in 12 step groups, what was the difference between those who succeed and those who failed. I was completely sold on the disease / powerless, only God can do it idea. As far as I can see now, the ones who I saw drink in that time, were the ones who chose to, the ones who didn't were the ones who chose not to and I would say a lot of those who did drink were not helped by the powerless idea - on the contrary. I didn't drink, but I relapsed occassionally in another program, sometimes after a year or years. After each relapse I would double up my efforts to 'recover' - more meetings, more prayer, more phone calls, more writing about stuff that happended 30 or 40 years ago, and more strain at home. Please!!! No more. It's no wonder I couldn't put my problem out of the my head when I spent so much time thinking and talking about it. No one says you shouldn't have hobbies, join a cause, be political but once you emerse yourself in 'recovery' you soon see how much time there will be for anything else and how if you do anything else it by straining yourself to the maximum.

For the last four months, I've been enjoying my hobbies. The atmosphere at home has been better. I haven't drank or anything else. I know that if I do, it will be because I chose to and for no other reason. The reason I would chose to, would be not because I'm powerless, or insane, have an unmanageable life etc, but because I would get some pleasure out of it. I would be fully aware of the consequences but I would suffer them. I am free to do that.

John.

John, that's a really great post. There is obviously no black and white, believe in God and you shall be healed nonsense. I haven't gone to a meeting in over a year but I also haven't drank in about 15 months, and even before that it was just a relapse.

I haven't been to a meeting in so long, merely because I haven't felt the need to. I jumped into recovery head first, read everything I could on the subject, AA groups were soul-cleansing and infinitely helpful, but eventually you have to say, "Right, I have to stop patting myself on the back for not drinking...you've given yourself a life, now go live it!"

Advertisement