Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft beer in supermarkets? Prices to high in off licences

• 26-06-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of supermarkets in Dublin with a good range of craft beers? Redmonds and Devaneys near where I live are great but good beers tend to be in the 3.50 to 4.50 range each, far too expensive, Tescos in Rathmines sell London pride for 1.99 and Dunnes Stores in Stephen's Green have Speckled Hen for 1.99 also. I think 1.99 - 2.50 a bottle is a fair price for to be paying for decent beer, also loads of good English ales are available in cans in Britain but only in more expensive bottles over here (got 4 cans of Green King IPA for £4 in London 2 months ago for instance). Maybe diageo has to much of a strangle hold on the market here?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Superquinn usually have a good range. Adnam's Innovation and Liefman's Goudenband to name just two good ones in at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Deveneys often have 4 for a tenner - e.g. at the moment they have 4 OHaras IPAs for 10. Can often get 4xSierra Nevadas for a tenner. Have had others too.
    Although given that you're talking redmonds and rathmines, maybe you're going to the Rathmines one rather than Dundrum which is the one I use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

kenmc wrote: »
    Deveneys often have 4 for a tenner - e.g. at the moment they have 4 OHaras IPAs for 10. Can often get 4xSierra Nevadas for a tenner. Have had others too.
    Although given that you're talking redmonds and rathmines, maybe you're going to the Rathmines one rather than Dundrum which is the one I use?

Have been in both, bought some aldi irish red ale earlier, 4 pack for under a fiver and is very good. Will stick with this for the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Anyone know of supermarkets in Dublin with a good range of craft beers? Redmonds and Devaneys near where I live are great but good beers tend to be in the 3.50 to 4.50 range each, far too expensive, Tescos in Rathmines sell London pride for 1.99 and Dunnes Stores in Stephen's Green have Speckled Hen for 1.99 also. I think 1.99 - 2.50 a bottle is a fair price for to be paying for decent beer, also loads of good English ales are available in cans in Britain but only in more expensive bottles over here (got 4 cans of Green King IPA for £4 in London 2 months ago for instance). Maybe diageo has to much of a strangle hold on the market here?

While prices are excessive for the good beers, the economies of scale that the UK multiples have over Irish retailers are scary. Couple it in with the other mitigating factors (Wages and employment costs, retail costs, excise and VAT rates et al) and the UK retail trades trend to sell beer dirt cheap if you are willing to buy large amounts and you see why they can sell it cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

If you're in town don't pass Supervalue on Aston Quay, I didn't today and got myself a few bottles of Old Engine Oil at €1.99 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thanks for the tip about Supervalu, would never have dreamed about going into the place, remarkable selection of real beer, got myself a couple of Engine Oils, Cheers.

Advertisement