Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Problem - Advice Please!!

Options
  • 26-06-2010 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi All,

Apoligies if I have posted this in the wrong section, mods please feel free to move if you wish!!

It's not a new mower, had it for a long while but has never given any trouble. It has a Briggs and Stratton Quantum 35 engine and is a fantastic runner. Even after a long period out of use it starts first time!! However, last time I tried to use it it started on the 2nd attempt (nothing unusual I would have thought) and ran brilliantly, however after about 5 mins it started revving up, then down, up and then down further, up and then stopped. (almost as if it was out of fuel). However, I checked the fuel and it's fine. Started it up again and went fine for about another 2-3 mins until it did the same thing - engine revved up, then down, up then down further, up then conked out.

Any help would be great, I'm no expert on small engines (2 stroke or 4 stroke), I did manage to take the strimmer apart right down and cleaned everything out and replaced a few parts, built it back up again and it now works!! :D but by no means am I an expert!! I've taken a look at the mower, but can't figure out why its all of a sudden started doing this. :confused:

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Try running it without the air filter. If it runs all right then, clean or change the air filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

I would say it needs a new diaphragm in the carb. I replaced mine a few weeks ago, the diaphragm gasket only cost €5 or €6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nzigcNTwo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Bmaxi - Many thanks for your useful advice. I had actually installed a new air filter in the mower in August last year, and since then it seemed to perform alot better - it certainly sounded healither - up until last time I tried it!! Many thanks for your help.

Joewicklow - That video is very interesting, many thanks for the link. The mower was throwing out some black smoke now and again and I had put it down to "age", however this could be the problem. Certainly the time before last when I used it it did seem to throw out alot more black smoke than normal, and sounded a little more rough than usual. I had thought it maybe was the air filter (only installed a new one in August) so I took it apart and had a look at the filter, but there was very, very little dust/grass on it at all - if any, so I did wonder what else it could be. A new diaphragm does seem a good bet, I will study the video and see how I get on.

Many thanks for your advice, hopefully it will be back up and running again soon - grass is getting pretty long!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You might let us know how you get on please. I have a lawnmower which eats fuel for 5 mins, then works away for the next hour+.
    It pipes out white smoke every intermittently also.

I have serviced it and put in new air filter but no dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

joewicklow wrote: »
    I would say it needs a new diaphragm in the carb. I replaced mine a few weeks ago, the diaphragm gasket only cost €5 or €6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nzigcNTwo

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but would like to thank ye kind folk for sorting out my mower, i could not figure out why it was revving up and down until i found this thread so i went and got a new diaphram for 6euro and she is working perfect again.:):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement