Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worldwide IMEI blacklist?

Options
  • 26-06-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭

According to the GSM World (mobile industry body) they hold an IMEI blacklist that is updated daily which essentially means if a phone is reported stolen and the IMEI is blocked, it should be blocked on most other networks in the world within a day.

http://www.gsmworld.com/our-work/programmes-and-initiatives/fraud-and-security/imei_database.htm

Is this true? I'm trying to get a stolen iPhone blacklisted at the moment but it's in Germany and it's proving hard to do this. If it gets blacklisted here in Ireland though, will the IMEI get uploaded to this database I wonder, thus automatically getting blocked in Germany?

I always thought it was country specific.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its meant to work EU wide but it doesnt. Phones blacklisted here only seem to stop in roi and the uk. I think phones are normally greylisted so will continue to work on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭zu

It doesn't work. Phones blacklisted here will work everywhere else. Phones blacklisted in UK work here.

I found this on the O2 forum
    http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?4169-How-long-for-stolen-phone-to-be-barred-on-all-networks&daysprune=-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

How do I find out my friends IMEI lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭zu

If I bought a phone off Vodafone or whoever, had the receipt for it and had used it on the network, then I'd expect them to get up off their ar$e and bar it for me if I asked them to do it.
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    How do I find out my friends IMEI lol :p

I fail to see the relevance of that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's supposedly EU wide but as everyone else has said, it doesn't get blocked outside of the country in which it was reported.

• Advertisement
Advertisement