Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5K For New Car: What to get?

• 26-06-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

Okay looking for a car, budget 5k. Want something cheap enough to tax, insure and run.

I would do Average mileage.

I see you can get an 05 Megane or Laguna within this price bracket but Renaults get constantly slated for reliability.

So what options would be best for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Would prefer a hatchback or something not too big. What appealed about the magane and the laguna was the kit for the money ie climate control, keyless entry etc. I'm a sucker for things like that lol.

So any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

one of the reasons they are slated for reliability is that they have shoehorned way too much muck and technology into cars.

AFAIK newer renos are much better than older models, but check with others.

Id personally buy a mondeo platinum :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I would be inclined to advise you to steer well clear of Renaults. Speaking from my own experience of owning a Renault Megavan it turned out to be a nasty, unreliable and poorly built piece of junk and handled very poorly indeed. Its not like I drove it hard or anything either, minded it and serviced it well and did not use it for heavy work at all. Any cars I've owned or driven since have being miles ahead of it and they would have being ordinary run of the mill cars all the same. Friends mother has a newer model 2003 Nissan Micra which has a Renault sourced engine and its after given her a lot of grief also. The gadgets and gizmos wont be much good to you when chances are you may end up on the side of the road with steam pi$$ing out from under the bonnet and missing a days work or some similar scenario. Just have a look through Donedeal.ie or similar to see all the 2001 onwards Lagunas practically being given away with blown headgaskets.

I'd be inclined to suggest a Japanese make - Toyota/ Honda/ Mazda/ Mitsuibishi or even a Hyundai for reliability and general ease of ownership. Also would consider a Mondeo as X in the City suggests. Your money will go a relatively long way with a Mondeo in terms of year and mileage as they are much under-rated. They are a fabulous car to drive and comfy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

+ 1 for the mondeo. They're light years ahead of the renault for durability and longevity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Advertisement

Okay, the mercedes though very nice is way too expensive to run, insure and service.

I'd be looking probably at a 1.6 maximum, don't mind petrol or diesel. Has to be cheap to run.

Guess i would like a comfortable car that is relatively easy to drive, although i realise it's not important i do like a nice interior, doesn't have to be fast but don't want anything that struggles up the slightest hill either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Just got an 05 focus for herself for that money. 1.6 facelift model alloys spots aircon parking sensors. Value all day..

Well ive seen an alfa romeo 147 1.6 petrol. Whats the verdict guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

argosy2006 wrote: »

Eh, no. It's not. A hairdressers car and nothing more.
    Well ive seen an alfa romeo 147 1.6 petrol. Whats the verdict guys?

You'll need to check the service history. It's vital. They need more looking after but if you do then there is no reason whatsoever that it wont be reliable. Would be my choice if I was in your position...but we need more info as to what you use a car for - mileage, how long you want to keep it etc
    sundodger5 wrote: »
    Just got an 05 focus for herself for that money. 1.6 facelift model alloys spots aircon parking sensors. Value all day..

Easy option and imo the best all-rounder

Well i would do average mileage, commuting mostly but also travelling down country to visit family. I intend to keep the car for maybe 4 or 5 years, preferably more.

It has to be fairly economical, cheap to run, insure etc but be comfortable and easy to drive.

I hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Do you like driving?

Focus.

Are you a pedantic car nut?

Alfa.

You want an easy life?

Well looked after Corolla...with a FSH for the oil changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Should be able to pick this up for around €5k straight deal:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201025198545616

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

GOLF or HONDA CIVIC

As you can probably tell i do not know much about cars unfortunately and as such do not know what i should be looking for and which models to get of certain car brands / ranges.

I do like the look of the folowing cars and would like some advice / verdict on each taking into account the following factors: ease of drive, comfort, level of kit, insurance costs, tax, servicing costs, economy etc etc.

Now of the following models i do not know what i can get for my budget exactly, maybe you kind folk can help here:

Saab 9-3
    Audi A3
    Toyota Corolla
    Alfa Romeo 147
    Ford Focus
    Honda Accord
    VW Golf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

avoid the Saab, alfa and vw thoughts you have.

Saab 9-3
    Audi A3
    Toyota Corolla
    Alfa Romeo 147
    Ford Focus
    Honda Accord
    VW Golf

You won't get a 1.6 Accord or 9-3. €5000 won't get the modern Accord model either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    You won't get a 1.6 Accord or 9-3. €5000 won't get the modern Accord model either.

They are much bigger cars than the others listed too. In a different market segment really.

yes, i'm aware that the saab and accord are bigger cars, ie 2litre engines and are in a different market sector. But i have looked at them before and i was impressed and as such would certainly consider one. What would i get for the money? may go upto 7k if needed.

Of the cars you list, I'd get an Accord, it won't be cheap to tax or run though compared to a Focus etc :)

Advertisement