Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nortern brewer + kit

• 26-06-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

i was given a youngs definitve bitter kit. i have 100g of nothern brewer hops. whats the best method and how do i hop it up using the NB hops. ie hop tea /late hop / dry hop etc.etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Northern Brewer is a bittering hop and as such would need to be boiled in wort for a very long time, usually an hour, to extract the bittering compounds.

This is what TheHomeBrewCompany.ie has to say about Northern Brewer:

"Although originally developed in Britain, Northern Brewer is now grown almost exclusively in Germany . It is very versatile in that it can be used to provide bitterness in both Ales and Lagers. Its low aroma requires it to be used with other, more flavourful hops for the best results. Alpha Acid 9.0 - 11.0% subject to seasonal variation."

You would be well advised to stick to aroma hops for kit hacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

thanks for that might get some of the cascade or the Hallertauer Mittelfruh (worlds finest arom hop ?) ...will save my northern brewer for extract brewing so...

Advertisement