Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance Cover

• 26-06-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Ok folks quick question, I have my own insurance policy, full comp & I have been driving for about 6 years now & I am 24 years old. Now my brother reckons that because I have my own full comp insurance policy, I am insured to drive another person's car with their consent & I will have third party insurance on their car, whereas I was of the opinion that this type of cover had to be mentioned on my policy under the class of vehicles covered section, which my policy does not have.

So who is right or are we both wrong? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You probably do have cover to drive other cars.

Read your policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I was of the understanding that you would need to be at least 25 years old but could be wrong on this. Im sure a read of your policy document should set you straight though as Magicmarker suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

On your Certificate od motor insurance you have point: "Vehicles or Classes of Vehicles, the Use of which is Covered"... or any similar expression.

If this doesn't say anything about other cars, it means you can't drive them.
    Contact your insurance company and ask for that type of cover. Maybe thay can provide it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

the over 25 thing was for open drive on a policy.

I had open drive on my car which meant anyone between 25 and 70 with a full licence was insured.

The 3rd party cover on other cars in normally standard in fully comp insurance. it will cover you to borrow a car, not a van mind.

It is written on the policy if it is included.

Advertisement