Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

great new mediterranean wraps and pitta's in aldi

Options
  • 26-06-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

anyone else tried them yet?

they're labelled as made by safa foods in tallaght and we've been finding them great for all sorts.

they're circular in shape and kinda like pitta's with a cavity in the middle but they're so much softer and lighter (they do pitta's too, just the same) and open up really easily so you can fill them, even when they're cold.

so far we've used them with salad and various cooked meats like sausages, shops & burgers when we did a bbq (twice :)) and they were perfect for quick and easy thin crust pizza bases as well.

i'd kinda given up on the whole pitta thing recently as we could never find decent ones any more, but these ones are so tasty i think i'm in love again. :)

the best bit is that they're only 99c for 5 of them which quite honestly should be in a bargain alerts thread imho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They sound great, just what I need for lunches, etc....will take a look tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I've been using these for ages they are delicious. The flatbreads are like something you'd get abroad. Can highly recommend them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I always have some of these in the cupboard.... They make great quick pizzas if covered in tomato sauce, else with koftas and raita.... yummmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I adore these! They taste fab and cost next to nothing. I'm having some as part of dinner later... nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes these are delicious and they keep for a while in the fridge but don't often get the chance to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we've frozen a bunch of them and so far they're defrosting fine, no difference in taste or texture, so you can buy a bunch next time you're passing and just freeze them and take out as needed, although they can be hard to separate when frozen as some of the thin folds can overlap in the packet and kind of lock them together.

they don't take long to defrost though if you plan on using a whole packet at a time, or within a few days of defrosting them.

as with all fresh stuff you freeze though, be sure to use a permanent marker or CD pen to write on the no. of days before the 'best before' date at time of freezing so you know how long you have left to eat them once its defrosted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I went to buy these on Sunday and they only had white wraps, (looked lovely) but I am trying to eat low GI.

Do any of the aldi's stock brown wraps or pitas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry, should have mentioned that they only do white ones of them (afaik).

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

vibe666 wrote: »
    we've frozen a bunch of them and so far they're defrosting fine, no difference in taste or texture, so you can buy a bunch next time you're passing and just freeze them and take out as needed, although they can be hard to separate when frozen as some of the thin folds can overlap in the packet and kind of lock them together.

they don't take long to defrost though if you plan on using a whole packet at a time, or within a few days of defrosting them.

as with all fresh stuff you freeze though, be sure to use a permanent marker or CD pen to write on the no. of days before the 'best before' date at time of freezing so you know how long you have left to eat them once its defrosted. :)

Bread stuffs keep safely for 3months in a freezer, so I just write the date I bought them on the bag. When I freeze the wraps I put a piece of baking parchment between each wrap and then hey presto no worries about separating them. I re-use the parchment each time I freeze a new batch. These actually defrost in about 20mins or less. I also use them as pizza bases as I'm dieting I have to be creative, they work out brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got these yesterday and I must say that they're much nicer than either pita breads or conventional wraps/tortillas (they're kind of like a cross of the two).

I just had one filled with leftover, fried potato with Franks hotsauce and some natural yoghurt. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

They used to be made by Safa and were available in white only.

They are now made by Lynch's and there is also a wholemeal version.

I bought a pack of them in Aldi on Santry Avenue today.

They are much nicer than pitta bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Aldi is now selling the Safa wraps again as well as the Lynch's ones. The Safa ones are bigger but are virtually identifical in flavour and texture to the Lynch's ones. Both are very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

europhile this thread is more than three years old so I'm closing it. Please don't dig up very old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement