Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai on bicycles

• 26-06-2010 6:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what laws if any apply to Gardai on bicycles?
    Had a close call the other day with two members of the force cycling on a footpath at speed and I'm just wondering does the law actually allow them to act so recklessly?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Garda vehicles are exempt from the Road Traffic Act. I presume this applies to bicycles. They could cycle on the footpath while listening to an ipod with no lights on at midnight if they wanted to. Although they would only cycle on a footpath if they were apprehending someone I would say.

Were they involved in a pursuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Garda vehicles are exempt from the Road Traffic Act. I presume this applies to bicycles. They could cycle on the footpath while listening to an ipod with no lights on at midnight, if they wanted to. Although they would only cycle on a footpath if they were apprehending someone I would say.

you for got on a mobile phone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

As i understood it gardai could only break the law themselves if not doing so would put someone in more danger than other wise or something like that. ie there would have to be a reason.

on a seperate issue. any idea how i might go about getting chased by a gard on a bike. just think it would be very fun out cycling a gard on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

abcdggs wrote: »
    As i understood it gardai could only break the law themselves if not doing so would put someone in more danger than other wise or something like that. ie there would have to be a reason.

on a seperate issue. any idea how i might go about getting chased by a gard on a bike. just think it would be very fun out cycling a gard on a bike.

:p

Whats the rules with overtaking them as well? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

Its common enough chasing suspects running from scenes, much better than foot pursuits... The garda mountain bike is a great addition to the service.

Saxobank wrote: »
    Its common enough chasing suspects running from scenes, much better than foot pursuits... The garda mountain bike is a great addition to the service.

there bike will be nicked the minute the get off it to arrest some one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Garda vehicles are exempt from the Road Traffic Act. I presume this applies to bicycles. They could cycle on the footpath while listening to an ipod with no lights on at midnight if they wanted to. Although they would only cycle on a footpath if they were apprehending someone I would say.

No there not!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dave11 wrote: »
    No there not!!!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/sec0027.html

27.—Requirements under the Road Traffic Acts 1961 to 2004 relating to vehicles and requirements, restrictions and prohibitions relating to the driving and use of vehicles, other than those provided under sections 49 and 50 (inserted by sections 10 and 11, respectively, of the Act of 1994), 51A and 52 (inserted by sections 49 and 50, respectively, of the Act of 1968) and 53 of the Principal Act and sections 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the Act of 1994, do not apply to a driver of a fire brigade vehicle, an ambulance or the use by a member of the Garda Síochána of a vehicle in the performance of the duties of that member or a person driving or using a vehicle under the direction of a member of the Garda Síochána, where such use does not endanger the safety of road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Sorry for the off topic but has anybody seen one of these bikes up close, whats the huge clamp style thing that is just under the brakes on the rear wheel, Theres no cables running to it.

All i can think it could be is a special kinda lock to stop it rolling down hills etc if on a stop.. Trawling trying to find a picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Just don't try to outrun the guards in gorey on a bike one of the lads down there is a savage time triallist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/sec0027.html

27.—Requirements under the Road Traffic Acts 1961 to 2004 relating to vehicles and requirements, restrictions and prohibitions relating to the driving and use of vehicles, other than those provided under sections 49 and 50 (inserted by sections 10 and 11, respectively, of the Act of 1994), 51A and 52 (inserted by sections 49 and 50, respectively, of the Act of 1968) and 53 of the Principal Act and sections 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the Act of 1994, do not apply to a driver of a fire brigade vehicle, an ambulance or the use by a member of the Garda Síochána of a vehicle in the performance of the duties of that member or a person driving or using a vehicle under the direction of a member of the Garda Síochána, where such use does not endanger the safety of road users.

Would cycling at speed on a footpath not endanger pedestrians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I saw one of them lads cycling around here. He seemed a bit tired...

And he didn't respond to my hello! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

a person driving or using a vehicle under the direction of a member of the Garda Síochána,

Ooh! ooh! ooh!

So all I need to do is get a Garda to ask me for a lift and I can drive like The Sweeney?!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Gers_punto wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic but has anybody seen one of these bikes up close, whats the huge clamp style thing that is just under the brakes on the rear wheel, Theres no cables running to it.

All i can think it could be is a special kinda lock to stop it rolling down hills etc if on a stop.. Trawling trying to find a picture

It's a lock

Hauk wrote: »
    I saw one of them lads cycling around here. He seemed a bit tired...

And he didn't respond to my hello! :(

It's good fun overtaking them though :)

(My brother's a member of the cycling unit but I haven't had the fun of seeing him out and about yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Sounds like a lock my da has on an old bike. It stops it being wheeled but I suppose it was for days before crims thought of picking up bikes and walking off with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Dónal wrote: »
    It's good fun overtaking them though :)

It is. I've passed one on the Rock Road and it feels a bit like overtaking a garda car in my car. A bit naughty. However, no fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Hey, yep. They're trek or giant bikes (can't remember) and they're seriously good bikes. Very light, very very light. Really top end stuff. Stupidly wide handlebars though, they'd never catch me if I was zipping between buses...

but they wouldnt be trying to. They're not there to police people on bicycles any more than anyone else they see, most of the ones I've talked to are pretty decent and happy to chat about bikes and cycling. Give them the nod and you'll usually get one back. Nice guys. The thing on the back is like a parking lock, its for quick 'freelocking' but doesn't stop someone just picking the bike up and running off, so they don't use them any more. One of them told me they had the keys taken off them for it. Kind of ironic, that the gards get their bikes nicked too. You'd think they might do something to find stolen bikes when even they're not safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

SubLuminal wrote: »
    They're trek or giant bikes (can't remember) and they're seriously good bikes. Very light, very very light. Really top end stuff.!

No, they are not light, they are actually quite heavy, and the grouppo is basic stuff also. No top end stuff involved whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭it's mick

Sounds like a lock my da has on an old bike. It stops it being wheeled but I suppose it was for days before crims thought of picking up bikes and walking off with them.

those locks are actually excellent, irish thieves don't seem to know what to do with them. we had a few bikes taken from our sheds, they broke some big chains and a u-lock. then they took the bike with that lock out into the lane but they couldn't brake it even though they seemed to make a good effort at it, so they just left it and we found it in the lane the next morning.

gman2k wrote: »
    No, they are not light, they are actually quite heavy, and the grouppo is basic stuff also. No top end stuff involved whatsoever.

the bikes are the gardai on em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

gman2k wrote: »
    +1 actually picked one up in the local bike shop lately and could'nt believe how heavy it was but i think he may have left a local crim stuffed in the pannier.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

jwshooter wrote: »
    the bikes are the gardai on em

I am so smart, I am so smart, S M R T, I mean S M A R T. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

fondriest wrote: »
    +1 actually picked one up in the local bike shop lately and could'nt believe how heavy it was but i think he may have left a local crim stuffed in the pannier.:)

I think we should dedicate a day to Garda bike lifting. They seem to be grand about people checking out their bikes. I think the bikes are fine, but whatever is in the pannier weighs them down. They wouldn't elaborate on it's contents, which made them a bit more interesting that I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The lock mentioned here is what's sometimes called a nurse's lock, I presume?

They are quite handy for short but frequent stops, especially if your bike has a kickstand. The idea is not so much that you leave your bike unattended. It's more that if the bike is near you and in sight, you can see someone trying to carry it off and have time to react. If the bike is completely unlocked, then you don't have a chance of catching them if they get up to a good cycling speed.

They would previously have been ok for leaving your bike unattended for a while, but it's hard to imagine doing so in a city now.

I occasionally leave the bike on the stand for a minute if I'm just waiting for something and want a sit-down while I'm waiting. I usually put a D-lock through the wheel in case I get distracted, but a nurse's lock would be less cumbersome. I can't be bothered getting one, as I'm carrying enough weight already, but I wouldn't consider them pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The lock mentioned here is what's sometimes called a nurse's lock, I presume?

They are quite handy for short but frequent stops, especially if your bike has a kickstand. The idea is not so much that you leave your bike unattended. It's more that if the bike is near you and in sight, you can see someone trying to carry it off and have time to react. If the bike is completely unlocked, then you don't have a chance of catching them if they get up to a good cycling speed.

They would previously have been ok for leaving your bike unattended for a while, but it's hard to imagine doing so in a city now.

I occasionally leave the bike on the stand for a minute if I'm just waiting for something and want a sit-down while I'm waiting. I usually put a D-lock through the wheel in case I get distracted, but a nurse's lock would be less cumbersome. I can't be bothered getting one, as I'm carrying enough weight already, but I wouldn't consider them pointless.

These lock types are quite common in Copenhagen, and often they are the only lock that people will use when locking their bike in public during the day when going to work, shopping, etc. Locking up to a rack or something else with a proper U-lock or chain lock is something you see more of when people are leaving their bikes overnight or at a train station, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

there bike will be nicked the minute the get off it to arrest some one .

No it wont.. trust me from experience its pretty safe!

jspruit wrote: »
    These lock types are quite common in Copenhagen, and often they are the only lock that people will use when locking their bike in public during the day when going to work, shopping, etc. Locking up to a rack or something else with a proper U-lock or chain lock is something you see more of when people are leaving their bikes overnight or at a train station, etc.
    I'd read that on copenhagenize.com. I wouldn't be very happy leaving even a cheap bike like that, but I suppose it works out ok there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

The Garda bikes are BH and Giant bikes. The BH aren't the best but I'm a big fan of the Giant. As for the Groupset, there basic enough, both bikes use Shimano Deore. Good bikes all round and obviously well maintained as we can drop them into our local bike shop anytime we see fit

As for the question on the panniers and whats in them??...........well thats a secret!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

I wonder if that study which suggests that most male cyclists are gay holds true for garda cyclists? I'm thinking Village People!:D:D:D

Yep Fencer. That's right. We're all gay. Even the women. Why don't you come join us for a ride...

I usually put a D-lock through the wheel in case I get distracted, but a nurse's lock would be less cumbersome. I can't be bothered getting one, as I'm carrying enough weight already, but I wouldn't consider them pointless.

So, ye know the on-board locks on the Dublin Bikes? Will they release the key while the bike is on the stand.

<me considers nipping down to the local bike stand to lock them all together and swap all the keys around...>

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Yep Fencer. That's right. We're all gay. Even the women. Why don't you come join us for a ride...
    Poor choice of words there eh!!! .... I think the study suggested only that male cyclists are mostly gay (the lycra and all that must make you wonder) .... women cyclists on the other hand ..... emmm maybe.......:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Poor choice of words there eh!!! .... I think the study suggested only that male cyclists are mostly gay (the lycra and all that must make you wonder) .... women cyclists on the other hand ..... emmm maybe.......:p
    Don't know about you but i love a good ride in a secluded area with a few other like minded chaps. surely there's nothing wrong with that?

• Advertisement

Don't know about you but i love a good ride in a secluded area with a few other like minded chaps. surely there's nothing wrong with that?
    you're right of course, thers nowt as queer as folk .... its probably a lot nicer than just sharing snot rockets and yellow jerseys :D:D:D:D
    Padded saddles anyone???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Stokolan wrote: »
    Thank you Stokolan. I would have thought this also.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I've been told more than once that the bicycle guards have a camera in their left breast pocket to record stuff.... true?

So, ye know the on-board locks on the Dublin Bikes? Will they release the key while the bike is on the stand.

<me considers nipping down to the local bike stand to lock them all together and swap all the keys around...>
    I have no idea. I'd assume you can't take the key out until you check out the bike, but I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

I have no idea. I'd assume you can't take the key out until you check out the bike, but I don't know.

From my memory of the mechanism, you wouldn't be able to insert the lock into the socket while the bike is in the stand - the stand itself would be in the way.

But I might be recalled it incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I think someone needs to advise them about how to use the gears on their bikes, anytime I see them they're pedalling with a ridiculously high cadence and going nowhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Stokolan wrote: »

Like driving a police car fast down an urban road, or running fast on a very busy pedestrian street, there are levels of danger.

Just as it is generally (but maybe not always) ok for a garda to do the above, it's generally (but maybe not always) ok for them to cycle on a footpath at speed where needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

To close the lock on the bike and release the key the end of the lock needs to pass through the part of the bike that locks it to the stand so they can't be locked while at the stand. It would be a pretty bad design if they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

In Cork last night, at Finns Corner, two bicycle cops were after pulling over a boy racer toyota something (glanza or corolla) for blue LED's in the headlights. I was like, "wow", first time I'd seen them pulling over a car. How do they attract the attention of cars? Or rather, the cars driver.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

thats a crock of ****e!!

Effects wrote: »
    To close the lock on the bike and release the key the end of the lock needs to pass through the part of the bike that locks it to the stand so they can't be locked while at the stand. It would be a pretty bad design if they could.

Aw bummer... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

In Cork last night, at Finns Corner, two bicycle cops were after pulling over a boy racer toyota something (glanza or corolla) for blue LED's in the headlights. I was like, "wow", first time I'd seen them pulling over a car. How do they attract the attention of cars? Or rather, the cars driver.:D

Like a Garda on the beat stand in front of the car and put there hand up to signal them to stop.

whats the chances of gardai races .it would make entering viewing .

or are they still on a go slow ?..could be a slow bicyele race that would work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

whats the chances of gardai races .it would make entering viewing .

or are they still on a go slow ?..could be a slow bicyele race that would work .

There is a Garda Cycling Club. They have some very fast riders. I would put good money on their best female rider kicking the crap out of you, metaphorically or otherwise :)

Lumen wrote: »
    There is a Garda Cycling Club. They have some very fast riders. I would put good money on their best female rider kicking the crap out of you, metaphorically or otherwise :)

HA ,possibly but it would want to be there day off .

• Advertisement
Advertisement