Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai on bicycles

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I asked a garda today about cycling on the footpath and he didn't like it at all..............

Got off the bike and took my name etc, didn't like my attitude:rolleyes:

Told me under dublin by laws he was allowed to do it, also said he could go through a red light........so i asked with he have a siren on his helmet at the time ( he really didn't like that:D )

He was just wandering up the path for no reason, not chasing anyone, not looking for anyone. I asked why didn't he just use the street and he said......he didn't feel like it.

What a complete tit, you ask a question and all you get is a 6 month garda on a power trip. I deal with his station every day ( he didn't know that ) so i rang and told one of the other lads and i have a feeling he is going to get a ribbing...........:P:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What a complete tit, you ask a question and all you get is a 6 month garda on a power trip. I deal with his station every day ( he didn't know that ) so i rang and told one of the other lads and i have a feeling he is going to get a ribbing...........:P:cool:

I'm sorry, but the way you put this forward makes you come across as a complete arrogant tit. How do you expect someone to react if you treat them like that. It sounds like you deserved to get more of a ribbing than you got.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the way you put this forward makes you come across as a complete arrogant tit. How do you expect someone to react if you treat them like that. It sounds like you deserved to get more of a ribbing than you got.

If thats what you think thats nice.

But if a guy can't answer a simple question without going on a power trip what do you expect, me to go down on all 4's and lick his boots ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If thats what you think thats nice.

But if a guy can't answer a simple question without going on a power trip what do you expect, me to go down on all 4's and lick his boots ?

TBH, it sounds like you were the one power-tripping. Maybe you should have taken a polite and conversational tone with him instead of the blunt questions about his job? I'd react similarly if confronted like that.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    TBH, it sounds like you were the one power-tripping. Maybe you should have taken a polite and conversational tone with him instead of the blunt questions about his job? I'd react similarly if confronted like that.

Did i say i didn't ask in a polite manner ?

I've asked garda questions before about lots of things and haven't got a reaction like that.

I think using the word confronted is wrong, asking a ligit question is not confronting someone.

Just to add i asked when this thread popped into my head asi say him coming so it wasn't just a smart arsed dig at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

oh the thread i always wanted to start, now i understand (i think) in relation to the road traffic act that emergancy services are except, but i thought this was in relation to a pursuit or if attending an incident.

but what if its just a general patrol or part of their beat, surly then i thought that normal traffic rules apply, ie, if on the pavement walk with the bike, observing traffic signs and flow, etc

irish-stew wrote: »
    oh the thread i always wanted to start, now i understand (i think) in relation to the road traffic act that emergancy services are except, but i thought this was in relation to a pursuit or if attending an incident.

but what if its just a general patrol or part of their beat, surly then i thought that normal traffic rules apply, ie, if on the pavement walk with the bike, observing traffic signs and flow, etc

That was my understanding also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

who do you think is going to pull him over for riding on the footpath?

RoundTower wrote: »
    who do you think is going to pull him over for riding on the footpath?

Did i pull him over......i thought i asked a question ????

I am a member of the public who asked a question of a public servant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Did i pull him over......i thought i asked a question ????

I am a member of the public who asked a question of a public servant.
    Did you tell him that you pay his wages? That always wins them over.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Did you tell him that you pay his wages? That always wins them over.

na didn't want to go in with an obvious angle...........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I wonder if that study which suggests that most male cyclists are gay holds true for garda cyclists? I'm thinking Village People!:D:D:D
    You're even less funny now than when you were TimAllen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What exactly is wrong with a Garda cycling slow on the footpath? What harm are they doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So I saw one in pursuit today. Chased an RLJ for about 500m from about 100m behind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

monument wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with a Garda cycling slow on the footpath? What harm are they doing?

Setting a bad example springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I'm not sure it would be possible to go about asking a guard if they are allowed do whatever without it being seen as invasive or a challenge no matter how polite or 'civil' you attempted to be.

I'd also be very interested to know for sure one way or the other if guards are exempt for all road laws while on duty or if its only when they are responding to a call.

[QUOTE=monument;66656229]What exactly is wrong with a Garda cycling slow on the footpath? What harm are they doing?[/QUOTE]

The clue is in the name FOOTpath...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not a foot path, it's a foot pad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not a foot path, it's a foot pad !

Best. Thread. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the problem most gardai have is the interpretation of the law ..

this stems back to templemore, where there must be no distinction made between enforcing the law and making it up as you go along.

the courts are full of gardai/supers/inspectors ,that action had to be taken against them over there failure to make this distinction..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not Ireland, but in the US I seem to remember a story of a paramedic knocking someone down while responding to a call and being charged with manslaughter, so I would doubt that the Gardai are above the laws but unless something like that were to happen then I can't see them reprimanded. I would imagine it would be a pretty unpopular chap who chases down some of his colleagues.

This might have been it:
    PITTSBURGH -- An ambulance driver is charged in connection with a fatal crash.
    The crash happened September 23 on a foggy morning in Marshall Township.
    A 90-year-old man was being rushed to a hospital in McCandless when the accident happened.
    Douglass Stitt, 38, of Mercer, and 31-year-old Phillip Bacon, of Sharpsville, were killed when their vehicle was hit by the ambulance.
    Police said an on-board camera system in the ambulance helped them decide to file charges. The camera allegedly shows the face of the driver, Shanea Climo. She is charged with involuntary manslaughter, homicide by vehicle and driving under the influence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Stark wrote: »
    Setting a bad example springs to mind.

The same way the drivers of garda cars, security vans, bin trucks etc are setting a bad example when driving down a pedestrian street in its hours of operation? :confused:

We've established that, but what exactly is wrong with a Garda cycling slow on the footpath? What harm are they doing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

monument wrote: »
    We've established that, but what exactly is wrong with a Garda cycling slow on the footpath? What harm are they doing?
    Hermy wrote: »
    Had a close call the other day with two members of the force cycling on a footpath at speed and I'm just wondering does the law actually allow them to act so recklessly?
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about anyone cycling slowly on the footpath.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Lumen wrote: »
    Best. Thread. Ever.

Just wanted to issue a special thank you for that bit of entertainment Lumen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well the final line of that section I quoted on the first page basically says Gardai are exempt from Road Traffic law "where such use does not endanger the safety of road users". Gently cycling on the footpath certainly does not endanger road or footpath users so in my eyes they are free to cycle on paths.

I know you said earlier you werent confrontational with the Garda but how exactly did you get his attention? Did you shout at him or just state he shouldnt be on the footpath? You probably just p*ssed him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Well the final line of that section I quoted on the first page basically says Gardai are exempt from Road Traffic law "where such use does not endanger the safety of road users". Gently cycling on the footpath certainly does not endanger road or footpath users so in my eyes they are free to cycle on paths.

I know you said earlier you werent confrontational with the Garda but how exactly did you get his attention? Did you shout at him or just state he shouldnt be on the footpath? You probably just p*ssed him off.

the closest i have came to be knocked down was early one sunday morning , i was on a few bad bends on a small road when i heard a car coming up behind me at speed .

i went as fast as i could to a straight bit ,just as i got to it a trafficore car passed me by a few inches ,the drivers wheel did not cross the white line it was that close .

i cycled on and got vexted ,rang the local and reported there dangerous driving ,i was told they must have going to a incident ,ok but i would like some one to inform the driver of my report ,he said he would.

after about 10km hear was the two gardai on a check point on the road ,i stopped and asked one who was driving ,i was he said . you almost killed me ..i dont recall he said ,about 10km back ,i dont recall ,you did not see me ,i dont recall .
    i cycled over to his mate ,i said suppose you dont recall almost killing me , we gave you plenty of room .thats brilliant your mate the driver did not see me .

he got fairly hot with me ,until i told him i had reported them for dangerous driving .

there was no reason for these men to drive recklessly on small roads ,no more that this guy to ride his bike on foot paths .

there doing no harm untill they hurt some one , but they would be answering a call if that happened.

As he passed i just ask him was he allowed to cycle on the footpath.......

If gently cycling on a footpath does not endanger others why can't we all do it ???

I have seen garda make people get off bikes on footpaths when they have been cycling "gently"

Anyway my point was that i say this thread and when i asked a garda he didn't like it and went on a power trip ( i feel ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

As he passed i just ask him was he allowed to cycle on the footpath.......

If gently cycling on a footpath does not endanger others why can't we all do it ???

Because some people or some equal than others. The provision is there for gardai to speed/go on the footpath etc at their discretion when necessary. Or perhaps send an email to gerry.breen@dublincity.ie to request a change of legislation He is this forums best friend ;)

Because some people or some equal than others. The provision is there for gardai to speed/go on the footpath etc at their discretion when necessary. Or perhaps send an email to gerry.breen@dublincity.ie to request a change of legislation He is this forums best friend ;)

I didn't know that...........thats why i asked

He has my details, i have his.........perhaps we should arrange a play date:D

Advertisement