Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5230 as Sat Nav

Options
  • 26-06-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I just bought the nokia 5230 today as I needed a sat nav for my new job and my phone was a few years old so I said I'd save some money and get them all in one! Can I set the ovi maps on the phone for voice navigation without it costing me money for data charges? To be honest I was a bit naive in my purchase and it never dawned on me that I would be charged to use it even if it is only 99c a day with meteor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

timbertime wrote: »
    I just bought the nokia 5230 today as I needed a sat nav for my new job and my phone was a few years old so I said I'd save some money and get them all in one! Can I set the ovi maps on the phone for voice navigation without it costing me money for data charges? To be honest I was a bit naive in my purchase and it never dawned on me that I would be charged to use it even if it is only 99c a day with meteor.

Yes you can use it without incurring data charges.
    Please let me know how it goes as I was thinking of buying that same phone for sat nav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 glornadtonn

Was worried about the same thing before I bought mine. No you don't incur data charges as long as you set it up to work offline (it gives you the option while setting it up).
    As for the quality of the Ovi maps? I've found it really hard to search them. I couldn't find a road I was looking for in an estate in Celbridge and when I manually searched the map it gave its address as Naas! My own road doesn't exist even though it's been there for centuries!
    My advice is don't buy it just for the sat-nav. It's fun playing around with it but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it!

Advertisement