Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Agricultural Mechanic

• 26-06-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just wanted to get some views on the following;

I am thinking about doing a farm mechanics course which would be aimed at reparing your ordinary farmers tractor and also have some elements of metal fabrication in it,

Do people here think in 10 -15 years time there will still be your local mechanic who can get you out of trouble or will the dealers have it all sown up with the laptop diagnostics being required for all tractors??

Interested to see people thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

there will alway be a need for people that deal with ordinary machines the older tractors wont disappear over night plus if you look at most dealers workshop staff there usually one fella who is trained with all the new technology and diagnostic tools and then there are at least 5 or 6 other fellas who deal with tractors and machinery i dont think stock farms will ever need tractors with too many electrics in them i think lift,pto and hydraulic controls will be the most advanced they will get tillage operations generally have the latest of everything in their tractors but they will still have at least two basic tractors for every high speced tractor simply because the farms need work horses that do the basics and have the drivers drving them and not operators if you know what i mean i think that its not a bad option but a fair few dealers have shut down or let people go so it might be a case where you have to get work rom people you know and if your going down the fas route a friend of mine did it and from what i understand you need an employer for the apprenticeship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

In the area you are looking at, I think an Agricultural Engineering course would be better if you could get it.

Tractors will always be built with basic mechanics and won't get too electrical in your lifetime so being an agricultural mechanic should be a stable enough area to work in.

You could also do balers etc.

In ten to 15 years time the tractors that are being built now will need to be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

its baltic wrote: »
    Just wanted to get some views on the following;

I am thinking about doing a farm mechanics course which would be aimed at reparing your ordinary farmers tractor and also have some elements of metal fabrication in it,

Do people here think in 10 -15 years time there will still be your local mechanic who can get you out of trouble or will the dealers have it all sown up with the laptop diagnostics being required for all tractors??

Interested to see people thoughts on this?

where you thinkin doen course ?

bk1991

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭its baltic

bk1991 wrote: »
    where you thinkin doen course ?

bk1991

Dont know yet, was looking at the Pallaskenry course in Limerick or one in Wiltshire college England, Dont think there would be much mechanics in the course in Tralee but I may be corrected on that. Do you know of any other?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There was one in classic tractor magazine a few months back, Warwickshire college near lemington spa. There was one Irish guy on it, web address is www.warkscol.ac.uk It was in the May 2010 edition of classic tractor. Hope this helps. :)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

its baltic wrote: »
    Dont know yet, was looking at the Pallaskenry course in Limerick or one in Wiltshire college England, Dont think there would be much mechanics in the course in Tralee but I may be corrected on that. Do you know of any other?

the two courses in palaskenry require ether you to have a level 5 fetac in agriculture or at lest 280-300 points in leaveing cert . I was looking into it early in the year and found a college in nantwich cheiser uk. done up the application form online and sent off on a fri i had a letter in post on mon morn with interview date and time . Went over for interview and got it :D first student accepted on course as i had my leaveing cert done from 2008 and the others would be accepted on condition of there gcse's.i am accepted on this course. http://www.reaseheath.ac.uk/dotnetnuke/Home/Engineering/NationalDiplomainLandBasedTechnologyCertifi/tabid/104/Default.aspx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/reaseheathcollege
    its a nice college with top class engerring facitialtys .all newly built .Only difference from doing palaskenry is that you cant get education grant for this course .with works out at somewhere around 7k€ for year

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭its baltic

Thanks for that lads, England seems to have a few more options than here at home anyway. Hope the work will be there in a few years time!

Advertisement