Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance advice needed

Options
  • 26-06-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

well basically im 21 im living at home with my parents but after a huge arguement im moving out..

i was working from the time i was 17 till ony a few months ago as an apprentice electrican and im currently claiming job seeker allowance..
    i hope to be back working soon enough do as iv been in contact with a few prospects..

my girlfriend will be moving with me but she to is unemployed but is a student in college..

i just need people to explain how it works and how much a month is it? say an appartment is 900 a month for example how much rent allowance would i be entitled to...
    and do i pay it back wen i start work again as i wouldnt mind i just need to leave my house quick..

and does it take months to apply for??

thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

don't think you'll get it. In order to elegible you have been payingg rent for 6 months or on the housing. The only thing in your a
    favour is that you can't live at home

If you are paying too much rent eg over the limit you won't get rent allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

davemc180 wrote: »
    well basically im 21 im living at home with my parents but after a huge arguement im moving out..

i was working from the time i was 17 till ony a few months ago as an apprentice electrican and im currently claiming job seeker allowance..
    i hope to be back working soon enough do as iv been in contact with a few prospects..

my girlfriend will be moving with me but she to is unemployed but is a student in college..

i just need people to explain how it works and how much a month is it? say an appartment is 900 a month for example how much rent allowance would i be entitled to...
    and do i pay it back wen i start work again as i wouldnt mind i just need to leave my house quick..

and does it take months to apply for??

thank you in advance

Go to a Citizen's Information office; they are in every town and they have accurate information and forms etc.

Also, go and see your Community Welfare Officer; it is his job to sort these things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IN dublin for single person ra limit= 122 euro per week ,non shared accomodation , so you,ll get a small flat or bedsit ,with acess to a shared bathroom.IF YOU CAN find an apartment for rent that accepts rent allowance in dublin for 440 , you are some kind of genius.
    crosscare and focuspoint 14a eustace st ,temple bar have a list out each day ,flats advertised that accept ra.
    see here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_
    you can claim ra ,under the rent a room scheme , if you can find some1 that wants one tenant in an ordinary house.they pay no tax if rent is less than ten k per year.
    And you need to be on the council housing list be4 you can claim rent allowance.
    rent is more than 122euro = you get ZERO rent allowance, you cannot top up the rent.

Advertisement