Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decision time..... Felt F4 or F5 "team"?

• 26-06-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice.

Trying to decide on purchasing a Felt F4 or Felt F5 "Garmin Team Edition" Road bike.
    Obviously the F5 is cheaper of the two so i'm thinking i should go for it.

Difference in terms of weight isn't a whole lot, 18lbs(F5) vs 17.45lbs(F4)
    Main difference is the drivetrain - Ultegra train on F4, 105 on the F5.

Is there that much of a difference between the Ultegra and 105 to make me pay the extra to purchase the F4?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Irishfusion

I am trying to make the same decision myself. Would be great if someone could help us out.

Just looking at the prices in the states

The F4 comes in $1000 more expensive then the F5.

In Ireland there seems to be about €300 between them.

Just wondering if the F4 represents better value given current exchange rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'd go with the F5, so long as you like the look of both, everything i ve read and heard on here is that there aint a huge difference between 105 and ultegra - certainly not €300 or even $1000.

and that weight differnce is the difference between a small feed before you get on your bike or not, so i wouldnt be worrying hugely about it. Both bikes are light enough and you ll get more beefit losing a couple of pounds yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

The danger you have, is that you go for the lower spec 105, and then go on an organised cycle and get envious.

The Ultegra 6700 has gear and brake cables that run out of the back of the hoods whereas on the 105 the gear cables come out the side. I don't think anyone has ever criticized the 105 for anything other than aesthetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

TBH i d spend the €300 and more upgrading the wheels to an envious pair rather worrying about 105 v ultegra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

A sound decision. Good luck and enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Go for the F4, you'll regret it as soon as you walk out of the shop with the F5. Stretch too as far as your budget will go then add another few hundred and then you'll be happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

ashleey wrote: »
    The danger you have, is that you go for the lower spec 105, and then go on an organised cycle and get envious.

The Ultegra 6700 has gear and brake cables that run out of the back of the hoods whereas on the 105 the gear cables come out the side. I don't think anyone has ever criticized the 105 for anything other than aesthetics.

Hey Ashleey,

Can you explain this in more detail? I had decided on the F5 based on the fact that it pretty much is the same frame with different components and a 105 drivetrain vs Ultegra on F4.

I see from pics of the F5 that the cables run under the bar tape - is this not the case on the F4??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Irishfusion

Spoke to someone who knows quite a bit about bikes today. His advise was that the F5 and F4 are similiar and if the decision rests there, he recommended that I buy the F5 as it represents better value for money.

However his advise was that if I could stretch the budget he would go for the F3.

Hope this helps Velo. I think I will be going with the F5 for the moment, think there is one in the Nigels bikes opposite the travellodge in Galway. As far as I know they are open until 7.30 tomorrow evening.

Advertisement