Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity names and 'dim wans'

Options
  • 26-06-2010 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Noticing a spate of neon-clad mammies about the town of late I have not failed to notice the names they have creatively given to their childer.
    They're hard to miss when they're being roared at from 200 feet across a shop, ah, the call of the wild...:)
    I'm wondering would you people consider calling your child after a celeb - specially if the hounoured star be of African origin and your child of Irish origin?

I have heard a Jamelia and a Whitney.
    Also there's a Celine and I kid you not a Dion (boy) - could this be an homage to Dion, the twat out of So Solid Crew (how I even KNOW this I dont f*****g know!).
    I have been fortunate enough to hear a Savannah being called for and also a Britney and a Cheryl.
    It was fun to hear Callum being beckoned to base and I wonder if Callum is the new spin-off for William, where the name's chosen purely on the basis of simplicity to pronounce - as in: William becomes affectionately known as Willum.
    I look forward to the day I hear "m'on Willum will-uh!"...say it fast, its funny!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ic1male

Rhianna! How'd I forget Rhianna! She's out there, living in Limerick, one day to get up on that stage and melt our hearts by winning X Factur!

Also many Chelseas and Courtneys too :)

ic1male wrote: »
    It was fun to hear Callum being beckoned to base and I wonder if Callum is the new spin-off for William, where the name's chosen purely on the basis of simplicity to pronounce - as in: William becomes affectionately known as Willum.
    I look forward to the day I hear "m'on Willum will-uh!"...say it fast, its funny!

As Willum goes up Willum Street in da buggy, in to da 2 eura for his bag a
    e-numbers!
    Honk if you love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

I have been unfortunate enough to hear Shakira being called in by her mammy one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

At Limerick Junction a woman & her two kids Shania & Keefer (I kid you not!) got on the train. I nearly fell over laughing!

foinse wrote: »
    I have been unfortunate enough to hear Shakira being called in by her mammy one day.

Oh baby when you talk like that......

• Advertisement

At Limerick Junction a woman & her two kids Shania & Keefer (I kid you not!) got on the train. I nearly fell over laughing!

That dont impress me much.....

Keifer? Was he a Lost Boy by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Was on holidays a few weeks back and had the good luck to meet Cheryl & Nadine. Waiting for Gaga though I know its going to happen.

Was on holidays a few weeks back and had the good luck to meet Cheryl & Nadine. Waiting for Gaga though I know its going to happen.

Only three more kids to a full band then!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Workin im retail i hear the all

Willum
    shania
    Brad
    Rhianna
    Beyonce
    Rudy
    Dion
    Romeo

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Noticing a spate of neon-clad mammies about the town of late I have not failed to notice the names they have creatively given to their childer.
    They're hard to miss when they're being roared at from 200 feet across a shop, ah, the call of the wild...:)
    I'm wondering would you people consider calling your child after a celeb - specially if the hounoured star be of African origin and your child of Irish origin?

I have heard a Jamelia and a Whitney.
    Also there's a Celine and I kid you not a Dion (boy) - could this be an homage to Dion, the twat out of So Solid Crew (how I even KNOW this I dont f*****g know!).
    I have been fortunate enough to hear a Savannah being called for and also a Britney and a Cheryl.

Are you for real.. its absolutly none of your or my business what people choose to name their kids..

I bet your just perfect aint ya.:cool:

What a sad topic for your first post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I heard a Mexican couple called their daughter after the name of a (on the) ship they seen in one of the mexican ports.

The childs name is Usnavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Stab*City wrote: »
    Are you for real.. its absolutly none of your or my business what people choose to name their kids..

so sad you felt the need to jump all over it and get your two cents in nonetheless... :rolleyes:

next time move your cornflakes outta the way! ;)

jaaaaiiiiiyaaadddde... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

The following are knocking around Limerick:

Alliyah
    Aaieshah
    Tyreke (wtf, skobie favourite)
    Chantelle (loads of them)
    Britney (average age 10yrs)

Jeez...............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Rhianna! How'd I forget Rhianna! She's out there, living in Limerick, one day to get up on that stage and melt our hearts by winning X Factur!

Also many Chelseas and Courtneys too :)

I heard the Rihanna too. It's loousy when you consider Rihanna's real name is Robyn.

I wonder does this go on in other cities?

Sad topic to post? Thats YOUR opinion! The names they christen them...REALLY sad...and that's MY opinion!

I can't see why you might take offence to someone slagging off these names with a screen name like yours! Stab City? With a User name like that you're bothered about me having a jibe about the names these kids are called???

And it IS my business what they call them - when they're screaming these names literally into my face, half deafening me with their bellows I think I have more than a right to have a sneer afterwards! They want notice!
    Notice they will get. And for all the wrong reasons!
    This is Limerick and no, these little ones will never famous be like their namesakes.
    Or black either.

I heard the Rihanna too. It's loousy when you consider Rihanna's real name is Robyn.

I wonder does this go on in other cities?

Oh yeah - there was a Madonna up in Sligo a few years back...wonder has she given birth to Lourdes yet? Or a Fatima? :)

Sad topic to post? Thats YOUR opinion! The names they christen them...REALLY sad...and that's MY opinion!

I can't see why you might take offence to someone slagging off these names with a screen name like yours! Stab City? With a User name like that you're bothered about me having a jibe about the names these kids are called???

And it IS my business what they call them - when they're screaming these names literally into my face, half deafening me with their bellows I think I have more than a right to have a sneer afterwards! They want notice!
    Notice they will get. And for all the wrong reasons!
    This is Limerick and no, these little ones will never famous be like their namesakes.
    Or black either.

Exactly your opinion and not the opinion of the people who actually gave them... yes i am bothered by you sneering at little kids.. you can use the caps lock all you like to get your point across but its still a sad thread.. did you actually join boards to post that load of tripe? Why would my username have any bearing on me being offended by you slagging off little kids?

Memory's increasing on the consumption of coffee I'm swigging
    - I heard a Nikita in a pub one day, her parents were so thoughtful to bring her there and I'm sure she didnt mind the smoke they were blowing in her face! - and Elton John would be proud too!

And similarly a Martika - a young enough wan, obviously named after some clever researching into Eminems Toy Soldiers! That song must've been SO moving for them that 'I know, let's call'er MARTIKAAA!'
    Whooohooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Am I the only one thinking that Stab City is acting so butt hurt because their real name has been mentioned. Lol.

Exactly your opinion and not the opinion of the people who actually gave them... yes i am bothered by you sneering at little kids.. you can use the caps lock all you like to get your point across but its still a sad thread.. did you actually join boards to post that load of tripe? Why would my username have any bearing on me being offended by you slagging off little kids?

Not sneering at the kids, if they had a choice Im sure they wouldnt want to go through life with a name that everyone makes fun of behind their backs, would they?
    Its their halfwit 'mudders' who think it's clever.
    What I said was your Username can be taken as offensive so i dont see why you would be bothered about me having a jeer at famous names when you call yourself Stab City.
    Sorry - Stab*City - cos someone is getting a wee bit PC here...

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking that Stab City is acting so butt hurt because their real name has been mentioned. Lol.

i only wish my name was that exciting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

i only wish my name was that exciting..

You can pick a new one if you like. Maybe we can put suggestions in a thread lol.

Oh yeah - there was a Madonna up in Sligo a few years back...wonder has she given birth to Lourdes yet? Or a Fatima? :)

or knock? :D

http://www.knock-shrine.ie/

NSF... well, not safe at any time really, dont say you werent warned! :D

Must be

Willum
    Brad
    Dion
    Romeo
    Tyreke
    or Kiefer as they're the only boys name mentioned so far (assuming of course Stab*City is a male...)

Not sneering at the kids

Yes you are sneering at the kids its them who have the names..
    if they had a choice Im sure they wouldnt want to go through life with a name that everyone makes fun of behind their backs, would they?

Assuming your everyone now are ya? Its up to the mothers what they would like to call their kids after all they did carry them for 9 months.. How do you know names like that will not be the norm here or everywhere for that matter? typical smallminded person you.. cant see beyond the end of your own reason..
    What I said was your Username can be taken as offensive

No you didnt.
    so i dont see why you would be bothered about me having a jeer at famous names when you call yourself Stab City.

Your having a jeer at kids from limerick not famous peoples names.
    You can pick a new one if you like. Maybe we can put suggestions in a thread lol.

Actually im thinkin of closing my account at 1000 posts and opening a new account with a new username..

Oh and still a sad thread..

xsiborg wrote: »
    or knock? :D

http://www.knock-shrine.ie/

NSF... well, not safe at any time really, dont say you werent warned! :D

Haha!
    Lets not forget theres also potential for a Medjugorje to be born unto us! Suffer little childeren!

Yes you are sneering at the kids its them who have the names..
    Assuming your everyone now are ya? Its up to the mothers what they would like to call their kids after all they did carry them for 9 months.. How do you know names like that will not be the norm here or everywhere for that matter? typical smallminded person you.. cant see beyond the end of your own reason..
    No you didnt.
    Actually im thinkin of closing my account at 1000 posts and opening a new account with a new username..
    Oh and still a sad thread..

You're completely missing the point my man.
    There you go again - saying I'm sneering at the kids - didnt I just say it's NOT THEM who ask to be called what they are? Or are you going to deny another thing that I've posted in plain view?

smallminded person you - sheesh! And I thought I was bored!

Yes I did!

No - did I not say there was a Madonna IN SLIGO???

thinkin of closing my account and opening a new account with a new username.. - you should definitely look into that!
    Maybe you've just realised that a name CAN indeed make you look really silly!
    Stab*City is way more offensive than Jamelia would care to mention!

Oh and still a sad thread - so sad you'll still be on here tomorrow givin it loads!

:D

...Actually im thinkin of closing my account...

yaaayyy! :p

You're completely missing the point my man.
    There you go again - saying I'm sneering at the kids - didnt I just say it's NOT THEM who ask to be called what they are? Or are you going to deny another thing that I've posted in plain view?

smallminded person you - sheesh! And I thought I was bored!

Yes I did!

No - did I not say there was a Madonna IN SLIGO???

thinkin of closing my account and opening a new account with a new username.. - you should definitely look into that!
    Maybe you've just realised that a name CAN indeed make you look really silly!
    Stab*City is way more offensive than Jamelia would care to mention!

Oh and still a sad thread - so sad you'll still be on here tomorrow givin it loads!

:D

Utter tripe..

The girl's name Jameila \j(a)-mei-la\ is a variant of Jamila (Arabic), and the meaning of Jameila is "lovely".

WTF is wrong with that name? Its not evean a black name so should the famous Jameilas mother feel stupid that she called her that?

As for this sad thread and me being on it tomorrow prob not.. Im just using this thread to get to the 1000..

• Advertisement

How bout he reinvents himself as TracksuitPants?
    Or HandsDownTracksuitPants?
    Or Gobbin'onTheStreetOutsideAbra?
    Or just simply DefenderOfTheDionsOutThere? Protector of their given names, saviour of their tasteful titles, til they get to 18, change by deed pole and sock him one for interfering!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement