Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thick Curley Dry Hair

• 26-06-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have long thick curley highlighted hair, and its very dry. I love the highlights, so don't want to stop doing it.

Has anyone any recommendations for helping dry hair? If its ones I can by thats great, but does anyone have any home remedies also?

I just tried egg whites and avocado oil mixed togoether, but don't think its made much difference.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

sleeping with conditioner on.... preferably deep conditioning treatments.... i have thick curly hair that gets quite dry and i do this from time to time. I wash hair and squeeze water out well and then add ur conditioner- i do it at least once a week.
    also umberto giannini do a great overnight beauty rescue cream...... just run thru dry hair before bed.... smells fab.
    my sis in law is a hair dresser and warned me to cut down on mousse as it has alcohol which is drying.....
    hope this helps! curls are great but tough work!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

I have lately started using Coconut oil in my hair and it has really made a difference to it. I have very dry hair . When it is dry I saturate the ends in the oil and leave it for a couple of hours or over night then just shampoo and condition as normal. You will prob need to shampoo twice to make sure you get it all out. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature but u just warm it up between your hands and melts in seconds. You are left with lovely soft shiny hydrated hair. I have tried all the expensive treatments and I think this works way better than any of them. Try it .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭delama

Thanks lulut and all_smilz,

Lulut, where do you get cocunut oil? I've heard of that before, but could never find.

all_smilz, can you get umberto giannini in boots?

Do yee cover your head with anything when you have stuff in your hair going to bed?

Really appreciate the info, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

I get mine in the health shop. Just make sure its organic virgin coconut oil. That is the best one. If leaving it over night yes put a shower cap on and maybe a towel over your pillow. though I usually just leave it in for a couple of hours before i wash it out..seems to do just as good a job as overnight. You can also use it as a serum on dry hair.. in very small amounts of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

If a treatment says leave on for 20 minutes do not leave on for much longer because it can start to work backwards on itself and do more damage than good!

Leaving conditioner in overnight is great for your hair or as was already said coconut oil!

Also Avon do an overnight treatment that is amazing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Aussie 3 minute miracle Conditioner. You can pick it up in Boots.

Also I was talking to my hairdresser and he said to stop washing out my conditioner. He was like, you wouldnt put moisturiser on and then wash it off 2 minutes later, so when youre conditioning, use a small bit and then leave it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

i heard that about conditioner from the hairdresser also. I think its a myth that it damages your hair if you leave it in too long

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭delama

Yeah, I'd heard about leaving conditioner in. I've tried it before, but it leaves my hair greasy. Maybe I'm just putting too much in.

I'll try less and see how it goes. Also gonna try and get coconut oil too.

thanks everyone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fifilefleure

delama wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd heard about leaving conditioner in. I've tried it before, but it leaves my hair greasy. Maybe I'm just putting too much in.

I'll try less and see how it goes. Also gonna try and get coconut oil too.

thanks everyone:D

Just started using coconut oil myself as recommended by other boardsies here and def recommend it as my hair is extremely wavy, thick but very fine & gets dried out really easily!! :)I'm not gone on the smell though but another boardsie on another thread here said to use rosemary oil mixed through it - which smells great and really brings a shine to the colour of my hair (brown hair - can't rem the name of the oil they said to use if your blond).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vwcorrado

A good product for thick curly hair is Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier and the Moisturiser. After washing your hair leave in the moisturiser, then put the curls rock amplifier in before styling, its an excellent product. gives more definition to curls rather than frizz and it does not dry out your hair!

• Advertisement
Advertisement