Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women/men who drink at home

Options
  • 26-06-2010 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all

I believe there is a whole culture of young people with drink and drug problems who face difficulties trying to give up in relation to their social life etc. However, like myself, I believe there is a large population of men and women who no longer frequent the pub/club scene and find they are developing dangerous habits of drinking at home. Drinking in the home can escalate very rapidly due to the very available and very cheap alcohol purchased in supermarkets today. I am not saying cheap drink is the cause of alcoholism but I am saying it is a big contributor for susceptable people. I'd love to hear from people who find themselves with this problem and how it's affecting them. Also from people who have stopped and are finding new and better ways to spend their time at home.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 grace201080

Hi,

I agree with you Bank...drinking at home can easily lead to a difficulty with alcohol..its cheaper and easier.

I am working on a moderation approach to my drinking habits. I am 30, professional and all other aspects of my life are going well but drinking is an area I really need to work on. .

I have found a good book by S. Peele - 7 Tools to Beat Addiction....this might be interesting to others.

Best wishes, G.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bambi88

Drinking a lot at home also sets a strong example to children and who is minding the children if the adults are drunk?? Good luck grace 201080 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

bank wrote: »
    Hi all

I believe there is a whole culture of young people with drink and drug problems who face difficulties trying to give up in relation to their social life etc. However, like myself, I believe there is a large population of men and women who no longer frequent the pub/club scene and find they are developing dangerous habits of drinking at home. Drinking in the home can escalate very rapidly due to the very available and very cheap alcohol purchased in supermarkets today. I am not saying cheap drink is the cause of alcoholism but I am saying it is a big contributor for susceptable people. I'd love to hear from people who find themselves with this problem and how it's affecting them. Also from people who have stopped and are finding new and better ways to spend their time at home.

Totally agree Bank, I definitely think there is a serious problem with people drinking at home .For the last four years I have been developing a worsening relationship with alcohol . This could involve drinking at home , by myself, 2-3 times a week, which would involve me getting sh*tfaced, drinking 2 bottles of wine or 1 bottle of wine and a few cans. When I look back at what i have drank in the last four years it genuinely scares me. The causes of my drinking - feeling incredibly lonely , even though i have great great friends and partly also issues with my family. Drinking at home imo has gotten out of hand , and quite frankly i have no idea how it is going to be solved. Education of younger people might be the only way, but i fear education is futile when young people are surrounded by such a drinking culture.
    For me , baby steps , I haven't drank in over a week and feel all the better for it , im not saying il never drink again, but hopefully never at home alone again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

My 2 Cents, I work in Retail and as such i work good hours but every now and then i have to do a late shift which might fall on a saturday finishing at 9pm, now my thing is if i go out its only really on a Saturday when im off or working early on Saturday, i dont drink much just a few with mates etc.

Now if im working late on a Saturday i wont go out but when i come home at 9pm ( live 2 mins away from work ) il have 3 Bottles of Rekorderlig or Kopparberg Mixed Fruit Cider and then a pizza and pepsi, thats all and just sit back and watch DAVE channel, so id like to think its possible to say that not everybody who drinks at home is bad or going OTT, id never go over 3 Bottles at home max out would be 5 no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Have drunk either in a pub or at home every day for the last 12/13 years, with the exception of a couple of visits to hospital (not drink related) About a month ago I cut down to just Fri & Sat. I was a bit worried I would miss it or worse not be able to manage it - no bother to be honest. My reasons for cutting down were purely money related. I have also given up the fags = total savings PA 5,800. I need to earn around 9,000 to spend that.

The most important thing, to me, is that I can still go out on Fri & Sat and have a good night.

Drinking at home is increasing but soem of the measures people in the media are throwing around are just more stupid Nanny state rubbish. Increasing the price of drink is not going to make poeple drink less, especailly if they have a problem. It jst punishes everyone else. Deal with this through education or conselling, leave me alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bank

why is this thread still open for people to post. The forum is not for drink issues anymore. I thought the management put an end to it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

This was my main issue - the glass of wine. It soon became a bottle, then a bottle and a couple of cans. I had a couple of things that made me think I was going down a bad path - rotating between off-licenses, pouring out mugfuls of red wine, leaving the pub early so I could get takeout before 10pm, eating junk food for convenience, waking up in self-hating mood etc etc.

I read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol, and I'm off it over a week. I know I won't drink again after it. I can't recommend that book enough. If I sound overconfident after only one week, it's because I am. Got a lot of the old joie de vivre back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I don't necessarily see it as a slippery slope. In the same way I don't see weed as a gateway drug to harder drugs.

I'm a professional, late 20s, good job. I work alot of Saturdays and instead of going for pints on a Friday and spending 50-60e I'll buy a nice bottle of wine from my local wine shop and enjoy it at home. I will never drink more than a bottle, often not even a full one, depending on how tired I am.

It's no big deal. Maybe some people find this disturbing but I'm cool with it. I've been doing it for a few years and have never increased the amount I drink.

bank wrote: »
    Hi all

To answer your question, it is not affecting me at all. I will drink my bottle of wine while chilling on the couch, maybe call or facebook chat a few friends and wake up feeling fine...both head and wallet alot healthier than if I had gone out on the piss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

ebixa82 wrote: »
    To answer your question, it is not affecting me at all. I will drink my bottle of wine while chilling on the couch, maybe call or facebook chat a few friends and wake up feeling fine...both head and wallet alot healthier than if I had gone out on the piss...

your head and wallet might be ok, but your liver certainly wont be.
    cholestasis or hepatitis will prob be the most likely pathology for someone of your drinking habit.

• Advertisement

your head and wallet might be ok, but your liver certainly wont be.
    cholestasis or hepatitis will prob be the most likely pathology for someone of your drinking habit.

No my liver will be grand to. Maybe slightly more than advisable, possibly verging on binge drinking, but doing it only once a week. Well below advisable 21 units..
    And I'm sure alot less than 70-80% of Irish adults who would be out on the town for the night..

Hepatitis? Doubtful my friend...

Advertisement