Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo - English to Latin translation

• 26-06-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, could anyone help me translate a sentence from english to latin for a tattoo im thinking of getting? Thanks!!;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Post the sentence obv...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Keels

OK. If anyone could translate "What is meant to be wont pass you by" to Latin...i'd really appreciate it! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BIGDOGG

found this on a search ,

quis est vilis futurus mos non obduco vos per

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

BIGDOGG wrote: »
    quis est vilis futurus mos non obduco vos per

Don't take what you get from an online translation to be what you hope it is.

I used an online translator and got this:

Quis est vilis soleo obduco vos per

When I translate that back to English I get:

Anyone is cheap to be accustomed to draw over you very

When I translate your one to English I get:

anyone is cheap to be will not to draw over you very

Bottom line: Get the translation done by someone that can speak the language you are looking for.
    Then get THAT translation re-translated by someone else that can speak the language. If they match, you're on a winner. If not, keep looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can contact a local uni that has Latin classes, ask the teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There are some latin forums online as well, where you can have a phrase translated and checked by real people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I second the recommendation to go to a university or school and find a lecturer or teacher.

If this was a few years back my 18 year old latin-loving self would be all over this but these days I can barely remember the first declension. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Be sure to ask yourself if you really want it in a language you cant understand. Might seem good now, but later might not.

Advertisement