Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnamese adoptions

Options
  • 26-06-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks.

We were just wondering who do we need to talk to on adopting a vietnamese child. Also anyone who has adopted can you let us know:
    do it take long from first application, is their much travelling as my wife isnt mad about flying. Any information is very welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

This might be of interest to you:

http://www.adoptionboard.ie/intercountry/vietnam.php

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

SARASON wrote: »
    Hello folks.

We were just wondering who do we need to talk to on adopting a vietnamese child. Also anyone who has adopted can you let us know:
    do it take long from first application, is their much travelling as my wife isnt mad about flying. Any information is very welcome.

Thanks
    oh my god, i really don,t believe you. is this a joke, ur wife is not mad about flying....kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

kathy finn wrote: »
    oh my god, i really don,t believe you. is this a joke, ur wife is not mad about flying....kathy

Yes as in afraid of flying on a plane.:confused:

Folks, Can we try and keep this thread on topic. :)
    The OP is looking for information on Vietnamese adoption.

Thanks.

im sorry if my post was offensive it was,nt ment to be but this post and the other post adopting less fortunate kids by the same poster sarason made me pretty angry these are children we are talking about not a new puppy. as an adopted adult im sick of seeing children being taken from their own culture and being brought here without any reguard to their future wellbeing. it is hard enough to search for ur birthparents if your born in ireland what chance have these children got in the future...kathy

• Advertisement

Hi Kathy,

I didn't think your post was offensive :) I think you're a valued contributor to this forum.

I think the OP phrased their first question badly, which was why I locked the thread. They subsequently messaged me and we sorted that out.
    I think it's more an unfortunate choice of words more than anything else.

Sometimes the typed word can come across more harshly without the intonation of speech.

Thanks holly. I made a hash of the first post(typical man:)) and didnt do a great job on the second either:o. I followed your link and read the article which does not make great news. Thanks for you replies, and sorry for the silly first post Kathy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I just read your original thread and laughed really loud in my office. I know you mean well, but as you probably know, you should probably come at it from another angle at the interview.

I have adopted cousins and I've seen how well things worked out for them. I've worked in orphanages in many countries. I've spoken to the people there about people's fears here about taking kids out of their own cultures etc. They told me to imagine being so poor you can't afford food and don't know when next you'll get food, and your child will probably die from something stupid like diarrhea.
    Now, how much do you care about your culture?

I'm definitely adopting once all the new laws are sorted out. I would like to hear from someone though about how long it generally takes. My family did it over 20 years ago so I'm guessing things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Already applied?
    Not quite sure from your original post whether you and your wife have already attended an information meeting or have already applied to be assessed for adoption?

You'd have to apply to the HSE (or a registered adoption society), go to an information meeting, complete forms, apply to be assessed, attend a preparation course, have interviews with a social worker before you are assessed to be elegible and suitable as a prospective adoptive parent and receive a declaration.

What sound straightforward is in most HSE regions a process of at least 2.5 years, more often 4-5 years, sometimes longer.

Once you have the declaration you have to apply (directly or via a mediation agency) to a chosen country. To complete the required paper work can also take up a number of months.
    (There are currently law changes on the way which will restrict Irish residents to adopt from countries that have not ratified the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption.)

Once you have applied to a country you have to wait for the referral of a child. The referral time depends on a number of factors (e.g. country, age/sex of child, possible health issues, etc.) and can also take anything between 3 months and 4-5 years.

Vietnam
    Is is currently not possible to effect an adoption between Ireland and Vietnam until both countries have ratified the Hague Convention.

This should happen late 2010 or early 2011 for both countries if all goes to plan.

When adoptions between Ireland and Vietnam resume it will most likely take a number of months before new applications can be processed as there is still an existing waiting list (from before the suspension of adoptions with Vietnam).

Until the adoption programme resumes it would only be speculation to talk about application process length and referral times.

Flights
    The flights to Vietnam are straightforward (for example direct from Frankfurt or Paris) and I'm afraid your wife would have to travel.

In general both parents have to attend the legal adoption proceedings in the 'sending' country. Sometimes the prospective mother could go by herself with a power of attorney from her husband, but I haven't heard it the other way around.

You'd only had to fly to Vietnam once (as per the old adoption programme) and stay for approx. three weeks.

Thanks very much for that we really appreciate it. We havent done anything yet only contacted the hse in cork. I believe we have the longest wait down here. Anyway we can get the ball rolling. Thanks again.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mia belle

Hi, I think the previous poster has given you great info but I just want to add some post adoption info. We have adopted twice from Vietnam and the support when you arrive back is fantastic.
    There are many groups set up and we meet up often to celebrate Tet and other Vietnamese celebrations. We attend Vietnamese language classes for the children, they love it. The groups are fantastic.
    We think its very important to teach the children about their birth country.
    It is also very possible that you get to meet your childs birth parents while in Vietnam.
    We have on going contact with our childrens Vietnamese parents and we are so grateful to have this. Check out the support groups, Vinaf or Viet south, they have a list of people in Vietnam who will assist you if you want to try and search for your childs parents.
    We have taken our children back to Vietnam 3 times since their adoption so that they get to meet their family.
    Unfortunately you will have a long wait ahead but it goes fast enough. Very best of luck.

Thanks very much mia. We appreciate that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

As a soon-to-be Mother of an Inter-racially inter-country adopted little girl ( mouthful I know) we are more than aware of the impact her adoption could have on her all throughout her life.

We are embracing her culture, probabaly more than we embrace our own and her wellbeing is our ONLY concern.

Best of Luck with your decision, the journey is long and sometimes difficult, but in the end worth all the effort.

In respect to travelling, there are countries nearer to Ireland sending thier children for adoption, a friend of mine is waiting for her referral from Bulgaria for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

as an adopted adult im sick of seeing children being taken from their own culture and being brought here without any reguard to their future wellbeing.

In fairness I think that's a bit OTT

Answer me this, what culture is there in being in an institution, one of many, many children there. Never seeing or going outside and only having the minimal human interaction and none from someone who truely loves them. No hot running water, no heating, no glass in the windows and no sanitation of any kind.

I think it's extremly rare that children are adopted into Ireland by parents "without any reguard to their future wellbeing". That's just taring everybody with the same brush and plain unfair.

I have two beautiful internationally adopted girls and can hand on heart say that their current and future wellbeing is a central part of every moment of my and my partners being and each breath we take. We have an extensive network of friends of whom I would say the same.

I'm sorry if we make you sick, but truthfully I think maybe it is something else that is making you sick and that would be a whole other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Thanks for that reply Bbam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Just stumbled over this forum,
    I have to say fair play to the people who have adopted kids from Vietnam,having seen some of the places these kids live in they now are being given a major boost in their future and can and will travel frequently to Vietnam when they are of a mature age.
    I think the folks who knock these brave parents have no idea what positive changes the kids are given when they make it over here.
    As a side note I have worked closely with the Irish Embassy in Hanoi on different matters and find the staff there to be excellent and professional, just in case people have any worries about our overseas embassy there.

Answer me this, what culture is there in being in an institution, one of many, many children there. Never seeing or going outside and only having the minimal human interaction and none from someone who truely loves them. No hot running water, no heating, no glass in the windows and no sanitation of any kind.

I think it's extremly rare that children are adopted into Ireland by parents "without any reguard to their future wellbeing". That's just taring everybody with the same brush and plain unfair.

I have two beautiful internationally adopted girls and can hand on heart say that their current and future wellbeing is a central part of every moment of my and my partners being and each breath we take. We have an extensive network of friends of whom I would say the same.

I'm sorry if we make you sick, but truthfully I think maybe it is something else that is making you sick and that would be a whole other thread.[/QUOTE]

i would recommend u read the primal wound a must read for all in the adoption triangle. i as an adopted adult who have for over 20 years have battled to get some information on my birthfamily and i was born in ireland feel sorry for these children who will find it near impossible to trace their family. i don,t think non adopted people realise how important that is and the guilt we feel for feeling like that because we should be sooo grateful because we where not left to rot in an orphange...us babies do turn into adults...kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

because we should be sooo grateful because we where not left to rot in an orphange...us babies do turn into adults...kathy

Shame on any parent who expects a child to be greatful for anything that's been done for them never mind something as personal or serious as adoption...

I also think there is nothing to be gained from being negative or dismissive about any of our families or their formation. It would better serve those who ask for information here if we respect the differing opinions on IA and reply to the requests for information without bias or confrontation.

Advertisement