Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2000, 206 or Punto

• 26-06-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭

Are 206s and Puntos from around 10 years ago really unreliable. I know they are both popular cars, but honestjohn is only giving them 2 out of 5 stars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

errlloyd wrote: »
    Are 206s and Puntos from around 10 years ago really unreliable. I know they are both popular cars, but honestjohn is only giving them 2 out of 5 stars?

If your looking for that year/type of car buy a polo. Punto/206 not great motors tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

SARASON wrote: »
    If your looking for that year/type of car buy a polo. Punto/206 not great motors tbh.
    +1 on the polo

I can also vouch that the fiesta's are a great car from that area. (Barring the well known rust issue)

If the choice is restricted to just the two mentioned in the OP i'd take the 206 everytime over the punto everytime. 206 is the best of a bad lot in that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Personally ive driven a 00 punto up until the start of this year and it was my primary car for a long time befor that. It served me well for close to 65-70,000 miles:D and never ever had a problem with it apart from the regular serviceing expenditure.

Cant comment on the 206 as ive never had, but if ya find a well minded punto it will serve ya happily for years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As weedy a reason as this sounds, I just feel a polo is a lesser golf and a fiesta a lesser focus. Part of me doesn't want to go halfway there on something. Sure with both I'd be better off holding out for another 500 or so and upgrading right?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well I might be biased as I bought one for the wife, but there is a Punto that is more reliable engine wise than the rest, and thats the HLX 16v. It doesn't suffer the common issue of head gasket failure that is prevalent on the 8v models which would be the vast majority of whats out there. Its also fairly specced out in terms of extras, although some people may say that means there's more that can go wrong :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

206's are pure shíte. Get a 205 instead, far more reliable and may even hold its value longer in the long run.

As for Punto's... those things eat head gaskets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Quite possibly the worst two small cars of the vintage , go for a Jap car ,much better realibility.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thats the one alright. I was lucky to get mine from Alasta Autos, who are everything a dealer should be and more, and its served me well ever since.

Advertisement