Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Bike: Help Needed

• 26-06-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Before i begin i know there's various threads on what bike to get first etc but its a specific type bike i'm looking at so here goes... :D

First off i've only got my provisional license and feck all riding experience so gonna be limited to 33bhp etc

I'm looking for recommendations on supermoto/enduro bikes.....Dont have a huge budget either bout 2500 euro.

Something like a KTM EXC 200 is what i want, but from what i can gather their 39HP :( (open to correction on this)

All opinions and suggestion are much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Is it the riding position you like about the KTM?

if so check out the varadero 125
    http://www.bikercafe.co.uk/reviews/bike-reviews/review:-honda-varadero-125.html
    varadero_125_black.jpg

similar riding position and a good bike to learn on. Plenty around as well, should defo get one for 2k or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

The KTM has 46 HP (33.6 kW) @ 8700 RPM

Jaysus - that's some power output for a 200cc bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Clohane wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations on supermoto/enduro bikes.....Dont have a huge budget either bout 2500 euro.

Just as it happens my son has the first supermoto/pulse adrenaline registered in Ireland. :D and its for sale.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=245395

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Just as it happens my son has the first supermoto/pulse adrenaline registered in Ireland. :D and its for sale.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=245395
    Well done to your son on passing his test. I notice that it's made by Qingqi - I belive this is the Chinese name of the company known as Sinnis over in the UK and Ireland, is this right? I own a Sinnis Stealth myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

I think to do your test you will need a 250 cc. I dont think you can take the test on a 125. I wouldnt get too hung up on what type of bike you want - go for something comfortable and reliable to start off with. It aint sporty but a humble honda cb 250 is a nice way to start.

• Advertisement

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Well done to your son on passing his test. I notice that it's made by Qingqi - I belive this is the Chinese name of the company known as Sinnis over in the UK and Ireland, is this right? I own a Sinnis Stealth myself.

Thanks, God only knows to be honest. If i answered you I would be telling a lie :P

I know it also goes by the name supermoto lol.

210 wrote: »
    I think to do your test you will need a 250 cc. I dont think you can take the test on a 125. I wouldnt get too hung up on what type of bike you want - go for something comfortable and reliable to start off with. It aint sporty but a humble honda cb 250 is a nice way to start.

He did his test on the instructors bike which was a 450 i do believe. Whether it was restricted or not i do not know.:rolleyes:

And if your starting off as a learner, under section 17 road traffic regulations act, a young fella on a provisional licence isnt allowed to drive a bike exceeding 125cc or engine power output of something like 20 kw (if i can recall).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

He did his test on the instructors bike which was a 450 i do believe. Whether it was restricted or not i do not know.:rolleyes:

And if your starting off as a learner, under section 17 road traffic regulations act, a young fella on a provisional licence isnt allowed to drive a bike exceeding 125cc or engine power output of something like 20 kw (if i can recall).

Get it right porkie :rolleyes: if you don't know keep quiet. enough bad info out there

Motorcycle and moped categoriesCategoryVehicle typeMinimum age of driver
    A1 Motorcycles up to 11kW and up to 125cc with or without a sidecar 16 years
    A Motorcycles with or without a sidecar 18 years
    M Mopeds with a maximum speed of 45kph and an engine size of up to 50cc 16 years

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland

thewatch wrote: »
    Get it right porkie :rolleyes: if you don't know keep quiet. enough bad info out there

A1 Motorcycles up to 11kW and up to 125cc with or without a sidecar 16

Hold your horses babes, that has since changed. And i was 5kws out, it was 25kw not 20kw. I am right :P

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0352.html#partii-sec17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Hold your horses babes, that has since changed. And i was 5kws out, it was 25kw not 20kw. I am right :P

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0352.html#partii-sec17

That's the standard learners permit + two years restriction for 18 and over (25kW/33bhp), for the A license.

The restriction you might be confusing it with is for 16 years old, for an A1 license - as said, up to 11kW or 125cc. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by a young fella on his first license, and the 125cc reference).

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    (I'm assuming that's what you mean by a young fella on his first license, and the 125cc reference).

Yup, your spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

210 wrote: »

Anything over 125 will do, you don't see many of them around anymore but a 150 or a 175 will do, it doesn't need to be a 250. It's a pity there isn't more choice around I used to love the old DT175.

Advertisement