Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toronto

Options
  • 26-06-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations of what to do and see. im only going for a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

CN tower
    Casa Loma
    Islands in Ontario Bay
    Eaton Centre for shopping
    Niagara Falls & Niagara on the lake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I was there only 2 weeks ago & wouldn't be in a rush back!

Definitely take a day trip to Niagara Falls though, well worth the visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

cn tower
    islands
    shoe museum
    famine memorial
    catch a baseball game in the rogers center

the best thing is to just explore the city, so many different neighbourhoods that are very different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Niagara on the Lake, and the Falls, definitely. Make sure you go on the Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls, and get some fudge and ice cream while in NotL! Fort George is cool, too, I think they're doing ghost tours around this time if you're into that kind of thing? Even if you don't believe in ghosts, they're a bit of craic! Open as a historical place during the day.

As another poster said, Casa Loma's kind of interesting.

Go wine tasting in the Niagara wine region, go to Jordan (my mom has an art gallery there, maybe I'm biased!), it's tiny right near a bunch of old Native American trails with a bunch of cool little shops with some beautiful art and other keepsakes you'd not be able to find anywhere else, definitely recommend it, and not just because of my family ties.

Hike the escarpment/Bruce trail/beamer point, go up to Ball's Falls. Go fishing at Lake Ontario or even go out to Lake Erie.

Go up to the north to Algonquin for a day.. it's a long way but it's so worth it.

St. Catherine's is a cool town with some decent places to eat and retro shops.

Avoid Hamilton, it's a dirty, over-industrial place.. and honestly, I wouldn't really spend much time in Toronto either. Ontario's a great province with a lot to discover, so just take a chance and get outside the city.

I grew up in the south of Ontario, and never spent much time in Toronto. I just don't like it. So if you get sick of it, try any one of those spots, they're all lovely though a bit of a travel expense if you don't have a rented car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

go to sneaky deaky's dive bar/mexican restaurant...sooooo good!
    Hail 2 da Thief how could you not want to return to toronto??? madness! such a great/fun/beautiful/friendly city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

tfak85 wrote: »
    go to sneaky deaky's dive bar/mexican restaurant...sooooo good!
    Hail 2 da Thief how could you not want to return to toronto??? madness! such a great/fun/beautiful/friendly city!

I was living in Vancouver for the last year or so & visited Toronto on the way back home. Toronto just didn't do it for me. Prefered Vancouver! Admittedly I was only there for a few days & only ventured out of Toronto to visit Niagara so maybe I didn't experience all the charms it has to offer.

Tip for the OP. If you do decide to take a day trip to Niagara Falls you can buy the tour tickets in Hostels for half nothing. I paid something like $35 for a ticket which the tour operators sell for $80 in the downtown area. That includes a ride on Maid of the Mist, wine tasting, Niagara on the Lake etc. Really great value!

Anyways, Liah seems to have given you some great info above which should be of great help considering she's from that part of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

Hi everyone. thanks so much for all the suggestions. can start makin plans to make sure i get everything done!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

it's called sneaky dee's, sorry!

http://www.sneaky-dees.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Just going to bump this to save starting another thread.

I'm heading to Toronto next week, for a week.

Can anybody recommend any good bars and clubs in Toronto? Preferably ones that aren't to pricey. Student bars maybe?

Also I'm going through Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris, so would it be cheaper for me to stock up on booze and smokes in Duty free or should I wait until I get to Toronto?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Night_Prowler

Another Bump! Im going over for 10 days soon, any updates to the suggestions above?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you can get to Paris ON,there's a native group that does canoe trips with a BBQ and stuff for a reasonable price.I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Its been a few years but really enjoyed the ice hockey hall of fame but I suppose you gotta be into that sort of thing, also if you had enough time I went canoe camping in algonquin national park that was brilliant.

Was the canoe camping a one night trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

think it was 2 night trip mate one night in a hostel and one maybe two camping, I actually ended up doing it with a girl I met on the train whos friend was ill and couldn't go and I took her place so not sure how she booked it, but I think the company was called the moose bus or something like that. They gave us all our gear a map and 2 boats between 4 of us and we paddled off to a little island. They warned us to hang all our food stuff from a branch away from camp as an anti bear measure, bit different from camping in wicklow with a bag of cans.

Great thanks for the tip, ill definitely be up for that, and the ice hockey...when in Rome and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The main things to see are:

CN Tower, try the SkyPod for an even higher view.

The Islands, a short ferry ride away and a great way to spend a few hours, maybe rent a bike and cycle the perimeter. And dont stumble on to the nudist beach!

Royal Ontario Museum, full of fascinating artwork and the history of the Inuit people as well as exhibitions on Korean Art and endangered species.

Eaton Shopping Centre: If you have a good bit of cash with you then its a mecca for shoppers and has an enormous food court on the lower floor.

Distillery District: a fascinating area of renovated Victorian breweries which now contain art galleries, trendy shops, cafes and restaurant. Start with a Segway Tour, have lunch at the delightful Brick House cafe, then try the Sake brewery tour followed by dinner in the Mill Street Brewery, delicious!

St Lawrences Market: their famous peameal bacon in a country bun is legendary and rightly so, I defy you to try a tastier breakfast meal. Also has stalls for every food from cheeses to wines to seafood to breads to spices etc etc, well worth a visit if you plan on buying some food.

Yonge Street: If you have the stamina, walk the longest street in the world (officially) and see all the sights, shops and attractions along the way. Probably need a day for this!

Niagra Falls: get the Maid of the Mist Tour and feel the roar of Horse shoe falls. Also check out the Skylon Tower and the carnival atmosphere of Victoria Street with a Sky Wheel, Ripleys, a few haunted house tours and some craft shops.

Little Italy
    : a lovely neighbourhood with some great pizza spots.

That should keep you busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thought I'd bump this again in case there's anything new to add to the excellent post above by Wanderer. I'm off to Toronto and Niagara Falls for just over a week next month, looking for recommendations on what to do and so forth. Also wondering how easy is it to get around the city on public transport, and where's the best cheap-ish place to stay? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

(merged) Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement