Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours dog tied 24/7, no water

Options
  • 26-06-2010 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I'm renting a house with friends at the moment and for the past week or so our next door neighbours have a lovely tiny ****zu tied in their garden. Only a string fence seperates our garden from theirs and so he spends a lot of time in ours as he is tied to a pole seperating both our gardens. I'v been at home pretty much all of the past week and the dog is tied 24/7! I can see all their garden and he has no water or food dish and so I'v been feeding him and giving him water as he's just so cute and sad looking! He can go about 8 feet on his rope so he's very restricted constantly. He spends every night outside too with absolutely no shelter and is tiny so could be freezing. It's really getting to me and just seems so cruel. I don't know what to do about the situation as if I was to report them it would obviously have been my house as we are the only ones who can see him. The dog is very friendly and not at all shy but has matted parts in his hair and knotted clumps so it seems he hasnt been brushed or looked after in general for a long time. Thinking of calling over and saying something to them but don't know how to go about it without sounding very rude. It's really getting to me..they don't seem to give a crap about the dog so I'd gladly take it off their hands and give it a much better life. Any advice?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I'm renting a house with friends at the moment and for the past week or so our next door neighbours have a lovely tiny ****zu tied in their garden. Only a string fence seperates our garden from theirs and so he spends a lot of time in ours as he is tied to a pole seperating both our gardens. I'v been at home pretty much all of the past week and the dog is tied 24/7! I can see all their garden and he has no water or food dish and so I'v been feeding him and giving him water as he's just so cute and sad looking! He can go about 8 feet on his rope so he's very restricted constantly. He spends every night outside too with absolutely no shelter and is tiny so could be freezing. It's really getting to me and just seems so cruel. I don't know what to do about the situation as if I was to report them it would obviously have been my house as we are the only ones who can see him. The dog is very friendly and not at all shy but has matted parts in his hair and knotted clumps so it seems he hasnt been brushed or looked after in general for a long time. Thinking of calling over and saying something to them but don't know how to go about it without sounding very rude. It's really getting to me..they don't seem to give a crap about the dog so I'd gladly take it off their hands and give it a much better life. Any advice?
    Thanks!

What I would do is get chatting and tell them you have fallen for the dog and would they mind if you had him in your house during the day when they are out of work. As they've no real interest they might agree as then there wouldn't be direct criticism of them. Chances are then after a period of time the dog will end up with you by default. If that doesn't work though report them to the ISPCA. While you won't get to have the dog if you have to do that, at least there would be the possibility the dog could be taken in and rehomed somewhere decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Failure to provide water is cruelty & totally against the law. You could call your SPCA or the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

How approachable are they? Actually it doesnt really matter if it was me I would def say something to them! Why should you have to feed and water their dog? (I know you cant turn a blind eye - I wouldnt either but its the principle of it)

Hate to see dogs tied up :mad: And the poor thing has no shelter?

Talk to them first and see how you get on but if you get no joy I would be contacting the ISPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Thanks!

Just go over and explain your not happy in the way the dog is being treated.. Dogs need water more so than ever in this heat. Id take a few pics just in case it turns nasty at least you have proof..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If the dog has no shelter or water then that's something you could report to the ISPCA.

You could try to have a chat with them first and just say the dog needs water and a kennel, but if they don't do anything and then you call the ISPCA they'll know it was you. Have you met the neighbours and do they seem nice or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

Report it to the rspca they can investigate.

Approach the neighbours with your concerns, what have you got to loose. Sounds like you re doing a lot already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

As a minimum animals should have water, food and shelter. Sounds like hes not getting any of the basic requirements.

Have a chat with the neighbour and suss out the situation first. You dont know peoples circumstances. If he blatantly couldnt care less about the dog then a)offer to take him b)offer to take him and try and rehome him c)call the ISPCA.

Theres no point feeding the dog yourself as the neighbour will learn absolutely nothing from that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The welfare of the dog is more important than your relationship with your neighbours. Just point out to them that they clearly have no interest in looking after the dog, so you'll take it off their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Talk to them first.

When we moved into one house, we found a collie tied up at the old building just past the house, 24/7 to a 56 lb weight.

She was being fed if erratically and within reach of shelter.

As it was our landlord we went carefully; spoke with our friend at the local animal rescue and asked the landlord is we could care for her; was their dead daddie;s dog.

Had he refused, we would have reported him, but he let us care for her and when we left, we took her with us with his permission.

The main thing is that the wee dog IS being cared for; God reward your kindness and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I live in flats in town and my neighbour had a small hardy Dog and while it was taken in late at night it used to be on the balconey most of the day, balconey was full of its own poo too, so I started leaning over and bringing it into my place and out to parks and the like, I let her know and she seemed happy, but like you it used to gnaw at me when it was out on its own for so long.
    Eventually the owner couldn't manage it and it found a diff home...

In your case I'd def try some of the advice here, I do find the DSPCA very slow to respond to things though as I've reported a few other Dogs left on their balconies for long periods.

Actually the most worrying aspect of your case is the lack of water... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe have a chat with them first if they are approachable. A friend of mine was in much the same situation a couple of months ago. Realised a neighbour a few doors up was going away for 3 or 4 days at a time and leaving their two dogs tied up without any food, shelter or water. She reported it to ISPCA thinking they would come and take the dogs. She was told not to feed the dogs and the warden would come out and see their condition. He would leave a note for the owners and if they hadn't responded in 3 days then he might take them. Of course the dogs didn't look half starved when he called because my friend was feeding them, she couldn't leave them without food. The owners came back within the time frame threw some food out to the dogs and were gone again for another few days. Three days later they came back again and moved them. We don't know where they went but I hope they're ok.

Not saying all SPCAs operate in this manner, but the dogs weren't even getting their basic requirements and this was going on for three weeks.

You might be quicker approaching them yourself and seeing if you get anywhere and if not then report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

If the dog is just sitting out tied to a post i am suprised nobody has stolen it by now. That would be awful.

Leaving an animal of any kind without shelter, water and food is against the law and should be reported to the guards.

Perhaps they dont want the dog and would consider having it rehomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If the dog is just sitting out tied to a post i am suprised nobody has stolen it by now. That would be awful.

Yes, there are a lot of dogs being stolen. It would be terrible if that happened to their dog allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Any development on this poor wee dogs situation Tweedledee?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Westsa

Hi, my friend and I had a similar situation with two dogs tied up, no water, no shelter and no food. We rang the ISPCA and they came out to investigate. You can't feed the dog if you get the ISPCA involved as they won't take the animal if it is being fed. The three things they look for is if the animal has food, water and shelter. So if you are feeding and giving the animal water, their hands are tied. It's so hard to do, my friend and I just gave the dogs enough food just to keep them alive. It didn't end well either, once the ISPCA were involved the people just moved the dogs and we don't know what happened to them. But taking photo's is a good idea as it's proof of neglect. Trying talking to them, even start of small, see if you can take the dog for a walk etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 janvrin

The amount of dogs being stolen is very very common alright. It would be terrible if this happened to this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

Report the for animal cruelty
    there are 5 rights dog have.

1. Freedom from hunger and thirst. By provising enough fresh water and right type and amount of food to keep him fit.

2. Freedom from discomfort. By aming sure the animals have the right kind of environment and somewhere comfortable to rest

3.Freedom from Pain, injury and disease. by preventing them from getting ill, or injured and making sure if they are ill they are treated correctly and promptly

4.Freedom to behave normally. making sure they have enough space and proper facilities and company of animals of their own kind

5. Freedom from fear and distress. by making sure their conditions and treatment avoid mental suffering

Dogs dont have a voice, they need us their human friends to help them live a happy life and they repay us a million times over

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Report the for animal cruelty
    there are 5 rights dog have.

1. Freedom from hunger and thirst. By provising enough fresh water and right type and amount of food to keep him fit.

2. Freedom from discomfort. By aming sure the animals have the right kind of environment and somewhere comfortable to rest

3.Freedom from Pain, injury and disease. by preventing them from getting ill, or injured and making sure if they are ill they are treated correctly and promptly

4.Freedom to behave normally. making sure they have enough space and proper facilities and company of animals of their own kind

5. Freedom from fear and distress. by making sure their conditions and treatment avoid mental suffering

Dogs dont have a voice, they need us their human friends to help them live a happy life and they repay us a million times over

Sadly the spca are limited by more simple laws; all any animal has a right to here is food water and shelter. In the case of eg horses, cows, "shelter" can mean just a tree or a hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

It would be best to approach the neighbours and have a civil chat...if this does not suceed and there is no change, the ISPCA need to be contacted. you can remain anonymous but obviously, if you approach the neighbours first then ring the ISPCA, they will think its you.
    Good Luck. I hope the dog will be Ok soon.

PS: This is why dogs get aggressive, they get frustrated being tied up and lonely 24/7...I wish people realised this.

Advertisement