Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Job

Options
  • 26-06-2010 11:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi guys,

I've recently been offered a new job, better money, more responsibility, better firm....naturally I'm delighted and have accepted the job.

However I have to resign my current job on Monday and am absolutely dreading it. I work in a small team and I get on really well with the people I work with. They are going to be, I suspect, angry and dissapointed when I say I am leaving. The team is also understaffed and we are snowed under with work, something which my departure will exacerbate. I've also got a lot of training and development while on this team and I fear I will be seen as throwing it all back in their face (which I suppose is a reasonably fair point)...however the opportunity I have been offered is one I think I will always regret not taking if I don't go for it.

Does anybody have any tips on how I handle this situation? I have decided I am leaving and will be handing in my notice first thing on Monday, but do you think I should tell people in the team individually first before I officially pull the trigger?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Hi
    I'm leaving my job too.
    Main reason.. I'm not being paid enough. The funny thing is I *know* they would offer me more if I was willing to stay with them. The €8k I would be looking for is peanuts compared to the time wasted training a new staff member to do my job, not to mention they would expect a lot more money (and coincidentally would bring me up to the proper newly qualified wage)!

Personally, I'm not expecting to leave for another 3 months. i actually feel like I will be letting people down. A LOT! But in the 18 months I've been in the position I have asked for 2 payrises. Each time I got less than I expected and one of the reasons was "we have pay restraint in place."

Lose the sentimentality. They had enough opportunity to pay you an appropriate wage to compensate you for the experience you are missing out on by continuing working there. You have made the decision to move on.. now move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

oh PS

the only reason you should give them is "career progression".

No matter what they throw at you.

You want to work in a new environment. You have been offered a brilliant role. If you are offered a payrise to say you should reject it.

Do not get into any form of pettiness. Just say you have decided to leave, that you appreciate the experience in your present role but your new opportunity is too good to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, you don't owe them anything, and you are replaceable.

There are a lot of people out there who seem to think that when they leave a place, it'll either fall down because they aren't there, or everyone there will have a vendetta against them for life. Not the case. In 6 months time, I doubt you'll even be mentioned.

You can be replaced. You are not tied to these people or this job. I understand why you're feeling bad about it, because you know them, and you know the stress they (and you) are under every day. But at the end of the day, if it was any of them with the offer, they'd jump at it, and go without a second thought. The world will keep turning, so don't crucify yourself over it. You're lucky enough to have a good offer and you should take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

In 6 months time, I doubt you'll even be mentioned.

More like two weeks, tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Its the nature of the working world. They should be used to people quitting and it probably won't bother them too much aside from a minor inconvenience. Tell your boss first and then tell the other people that you work with if you so feel inclined. But don't feel bad about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also there is no need to submit to any exit interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I work in a small team and I get on really well with the people I work with. They are going to be, I suspect, angry and dissapointed when I say I am leaving. The team is also understaffed and we are snowed under with work, something which my departure will exacerbate. I've also got a lot of training and development while on this team and I fear I will be seen as throwing it all back in their face (which I suppose is a reasonably fair point)...however the opportunity I have been offered is one I think I will always regret not taking if I don't go for it.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I think you are really over-estimating yourself. Thee are thousands who could be hired tomorrow and trained into your job. JFK was replaced in 3 hours.

Advertisement