Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Series 5 appreciation thread

• 27-06-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

I just want to express my complete love for this series of Doctor Who.

From the first episode I was hooked. I think I love everything about this show now. There's not one thing that irritates me. The music is infectious. The Doctors Action theme is my ring tone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTXcUSlLJ6U It just fills me with pride.

At first glance of Matt Smith I thought...... "Aw no, an emo Doctor." but I now think Bow Ties are COOL!

I've converted 5 people on to this show and each one of them have stated that they hate sci-fi shows, yet they love Amy and the Doctor.

Keep it up and WELL DONE so far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

While I agree with what you say, it's series 31, not series 5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Fantastic series! I've loved watching Doctor Who for the past few years, but this was the first one to really draw me in. I loved Moffat's episodes in the past series, so I was excited to see what he could manage given more control over the show.

He certainly didn't disappoint! Foreshadowing had been used in the past few series, but never to the extend that he utilised it here. It's just so much more satisfying to be able to view a series as a whole, which was done so well with each episode playing into the overall plot about the cracks. It had me anxiously awaiting each episode while re-watching and carefully studying the preceding ones!

Great casting too! Loved Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, and having Toby Jones and Bill Nighy make appearances was excellent. I was a bit sceptical of Matt Smith after his very brief appearance at the end of Series 4, but as soon as I saw him in action during The Eleventh Hour he seemed to click with me. He's probably my favourite Doctor now, I love the guy! He does the loveable, socially-inadequate buffoonery so well*, and it's especially effective because of how young he is... but he's equally good at showing how aged his character has become. He may be in his 20s, but he manages to look so ancient and wistful during moments like the finale's one with sleeping childhood Amy. His youth seems to defy age, which is exactly what you'd expect of the Doctor!

I also loved how much it embraced Classic Who. RTD's era served as many people's introduction to Doctor Who, and understandably it spent a lot of its time re-establishing concepts and past villains. With that out of the way the new series can afford all kinds of lovely, trivial references to the Doctors of the past. Bits like the library card were just so awesome.

All in all, very happy with this series. Moffat proved himself, Matt and Karen proved themselves, and the Doctor proved that bow-ties are cool. :P

*Seriously, the pre-credits scene in Vampires of Venice. Funny stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Without a doubt my favourite series of Doctor Who, although I have only seen the new one. Was wary form the get-go that Matt Smith would end up playing the tenth doctor again, but we've got a completely different character for 11, and I much prefer him to Tennants Doctor. He's even beginning to push past my love for 9.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Easily the most consistent and best season since it returned. There's been far more consistency here and a plot arc weaved intelligently throughout the season. The best managed in the previous seasons was to have someone mutter or write "Bad Wolf" in different places. The game's been seriously raised here.

Matt Smith as the Doctor is also my favourite since the relaunch (and flat out one of my favourites out of all the 11). He captures the quirky, slightly unhinged, nature of the Doctor perfectly but also has that ancient alien quality, a quality I don't think the previous two captured that well. His performance in the last 3 episodes showed he has great range for both comedy and drama and able to deliver far more subtlety.

The idea of an arc ranging across seasons too delights me! Sure we've had the Key to Time before and the White/Black Guardian but this looks tighter and more interesting.

Very happy with this. It's the first season that I've looked forward to each episode without any sense of dread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Best praise I can give to the series is that around the time of the Xmas farewell to Tennant, I ... uhh. may have written a big rambling diatribe against the show, Tennant and that Dr. Who was quickly going down the toilet. I certainly was ready to give up on the show and forget all about it.

Well, I guess that didn't happen - quite the opposite. In fact I feel like a bit of a fool for ever getting upset about those last Tennant ... "stories".

I enjoyed every single episode - bar Victory of the Daleks - and I equally love Matt Smith as the Doctor. At first I thought he'd be an emo Doctor & that he was too young, but he perfectly fits the description of the old man in a young man's body.

I'm still not sure he has the acting chops or gravitas for the heavier scenes, but his lighter touch is faultless (favourite scene? When he jumps out of the stripper cake and announces to Rory at his stag that Amy tried to kiss the Doc :D) Bumbling, awkward, quirky, yet completely dependable and likeable.

As said above, Smith has quickly rocketed into being my favourite Doctor since the relaunch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Must say I came to this really not expecting a lot, once I heard the Daleks where back I decided to skip it. It wasn't until a week or so ago a mate suggested I give it a shoot that I did.

Most impressed, quite liking the doctor character this time around. The fact he has some alien qualities in the way he interacts with the others is a major plus in my view.

Looking forward to series 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In absolute agreement, LOVE what Moffat's done with the series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

While I agree with what you say, it's series 31, not series 5...

Now remember kids, when you go to buy the box set, ask for series 31 at the counter (or via the product search bar if its an online purchase) not series 5! They'll know exactly what you mean even though it'll most likely have the words "Complete fifth Series" written down the side of the DVD case. icon10.gif

Have to say, I enjoyed series 5 of the newly launched DW (series 31 of the overall Who universe) , one or two ropey episodes but some great lighter moments and even better companions. Didn't know how Matt Smith would handle the role after David Tennant left (a firm favorite in our household) and am very glad to say that I thoroughly enjoyed his version of the Doctor. Had a few issues with the finale, but that's been done to death on another thread.

Role on Christmas and series 6!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

yea\h, ive really loved this series, and above all its been funny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

it has been funny, clever, non patronising, non self pitifull ("it was a bad day" as opposed to 9 and 10's angst guilt trip) and just a joy. There was a proper story arc and there were proper characters who werent laboured under labels.

it was not perfect, but what can be? Good development of the characters (the dreamlord being a precursor to the valeyard, amy's entire life story)for the main characters, some jarred a bit (liz 10, the new daleks

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://techtreak.com/img/volks-golf_w12.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.techtreak.com/drive-smarter/volkswagen-golf-gti-w12-car/&usg=__2LZelQKQBzV3m0gXzxWnO43eGcc=&h=355&w=500&sz=72&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=z_Jng8FAKhZCJM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvolkswagon%2Bgolf%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26tbs%3Disch:1) but overall it was consistant, it was well thought out and, despite requiring more attention it held up in the ratings, the record for later viewers more than making up the at the moment drop.

We have a proper arc already for next year and we still dont know if there has been a reboot or not - and if what happened happened or not.

As Wilf would say, Goodo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We have a proper arc already for next year and we still dont know if there has been a reboot or not - and if what happened happened or not.
    If none of what had happened has happened now, wouldn't the Doctor revert to 10? (or even 9?!).

Sleepy wrote: »
    If none of what had happened has happened now, wouldn't the Doctor revert to 10? (or even 9?!).

no because it wouldnt have happened to not have happened in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

no because it wouldnt have happened to not have happened in the first place.

Mind fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PaganKing

Yes, definitely the best series so far of the revived show (As this is my only experience beside the odd McCoy era storyline and the McCann TV Movie). A well defined series arc and a superior ending that threads nicely into next season rather than hitting the reset button on most of the situation.

Matt Smith: Nothing I can say that already hasn't been said already here. From his first episode He hit on the alieness of The Doctor right on the head and his youth stopped being issue as he still manages to pull off a sort of eccentric wisdom. I had loved Tennant in the role yet his schtick was becoming a little tiresome in places and Smith is a worthy replacement.

Loved Amy as the campanion & Rory too, River may become a little annoying if her story isn't wrapped up in upcoming storylines. Overall enjoyable, tight storytelling at it's best, Roll on Series 6 (or 32 depending your preference).

PaganKing wrote: »
    Roll on Series 6 (or 32 depending your preference).

or fnarg.beta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PaganKing

or fnarg.beta

So the Tardis was hit by a large truck and then exploded ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

phil1nj wrote: »
    Now remember kids, when you go to buy the box set, ask for series 31 at the counter (or via the product search bar if its an online purchase) not series 5! They'll know exactly what you mean even though it'll most likely have the words "Complete fifth Series" written down the side of the DVD case. icon10.gif

Hopefully there'll be a limited edition box set released with series 31 plastered all over it - to keep @ssholes like me happy... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Advertisement